Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 05:32 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Ok, I'll go down to 20% but that is my final offer.

Do the math and you'll see that my service is only $1600 ( 20% * $8000 = $1600 )

Send 80 unmarked 20 dollar bills and I'll get you yer money. But wait...for just an additional $400, I'll get you double your money, and I'll throw in a new wallet for FREE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 10:39 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Seriously, Google /unclaimed property/, and run a search for anything that might be in your name. It's free. I once got a couple hundred bucks in a state income tax refund from a state I moved out of and had never filed.

unclaimed.org will take you to a map where you can click on all the states youve ever lived in, and get a link to the legitimate source of information on all unclaimed property on file with the state treasurer.

Last edited by jtur88; 11-13-2010 at 10:50 AM..

Old 11-13-2010, 03:43 PM

In fact, inspired by this thread, I just ran a trace on a few people, and found three who have money that they can claim. I ran my mother's name, dead these four years, and found that there were two life insurance assets that had not been cashed in, so I told my sister to run them down (she was the executrix), I also found the name of my brother-in-law and his wife. And a friend of mine who is always strapped for cash can claim more than $100 that she had paid up front for cell phone service that she never used.

I made myself very popular today. It can all be done yourself just by filling out forms with the state treasurer, no need to pay anyone to do it for you. But thanks to Keane for reminding me to check.

Old 11-13-2010, 04:58 PM

3,786 posts, read 5,329,611 times
Quote:
If you are even thinking about paying them 1/3 of $8000, I'd be willing to do the leg work for you for just 25%....paid in advance of course....in cash!
I'll low bid you by offering to do it for 20%!

If you reply to this Keane offer, tell them to keep the 1/3 of the $8,000; i.e., just send you a check for 2/3 ($5,333). Don't send them money, why? Why do they need money from you when they have the $8,000?

Call a scam, that's how you get them to show their hand.

Old 11-13-2010, 05:00 PM

3,786 posts, read 5,329,611 times
Quote:
Ok, I'll go down to 20% but that is my final offer.

Do the math and you'll see that my service is only $1600 ( 20% * $8000 = $1600 )

Send 80 unmarked 20 dollar bills and I'll get you yer money. But wait...for just an additional $400, I'll get you double your money, and I'll throw in a new wallet for FREE.
Oh man, I didn't read all of the way before making my 20% offer. CosmicWizard, I will take your bid down even lower:

I offer to do it for 19% AND offer INSURANCE for a mere $250 extra.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
I'll low bid you by offering to do it for 20%!

If you reply to this Keane offer, tell them to keep the 1/3 of the $8,000; i.e., just send you a check for 2/3 ($5,333). Don't send them money, why? Why do they need money from you when they have the $8,000?

Call a scam, that's how you get them to show their hand.
I'm glad that I'm not the only one that smells a scam on this one.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:42 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Not in this lifetime.

If such an account exists, I come out ahead to let it go to the state, then claim it. Really, the amount doesn't fit anything that I can think of. It does concern me to be getting calls & letters from these people. I mean what legitimate business would be asking that kind of money. . .
Not sure where you could go to research it, but after reading their rip-off reports and some other postings there are two possibilities. The first is that there is an account or stock that is currently unclaimed that you have a right to. The second is that they are reporting on an asset that you may already be aware of. While the company itself definitely seems shady, they do supposedly locate actual accounts and pay out money. Whether or not they send you what you're actually owed or lie about the amount is a different story.

Do you know anyone who is deceased (maybe parents) that possibly owned stock that was never cashed in? The companies have a responsibility to locate who the holder of the stocks are and update their information or next of kin.

Again, I wouldn't trust this company, but you may very well have something out there that you have a right to.

Old 11-24-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
In fact, inspired by this thread, I just ran a trace on a few people, and found three who have money that they can claim. I ran my mother's name, dead these four years, and found that there were two life insurance assets that had not been cashed in, so I told my sister to run them down (she was the executrix), I also found the name of my brother-in-law and his wife. And a friend of mine who is always strapped for cash can claim more than $100 that she had paid up front for cell phone service that she never used.

I made myself very popular today. It can all be done yourself just by filling out forms with the state treasurer, no need to pay anyone to do it for you. But thanks to Keane for reminding me to check.
An update on this. I just heard from my sister. It turns out to be a VERY substantial amount of money (5 figures), and we're processing the forms now. If you've ever been named in anybody's will, check under their name. Executors don't always find all the assets.

It is certainly worth your while to do a search for any funds that you are entitled to.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:31 AM

Thanks for the ideas. I think that I have a suspicion of what it is, now.

My father left a will, foolishly naming his wife as executrix. She never filed it & withheld some stuff that had my name on it (I suspect in an attempt to claim half of it), but I suspect that she has found out that even though I'm not the owner, I'd have to agree, to get her name on it.

The amount fits nothing of mine, but does fit one of those things. Now if I can just find the name of the company. . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics