Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the worst bet?
$500k house worst value by 2030. 4 21.05%
$500k cash worst value by 2030. 9 47.37%
Moot point. 2030 is Mad Max time. 6 31.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 12:04 PM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times

Advertisements

i wish that was our only payment. holy crap since we bought this house 3 years ago just the odds and ends and general maintaince on a now 5 year old house blows my mind.

there is always something that needs attention,a fuel bill, lawn bill, repair, the list goes on and on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 03:55 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i wish that was our only payment. holy crap since we bought this house 3 years ago just the odds and ends and general maintaince on a now 5 year old house blows my mind.

there is always something that needs attention,a fuel bill, lawn bill, repair, the list goes on and on.
It does add up when services must be outsourced...

I have detailed records going back many years and was comparing with a neighbor owning the same home on my street.

He outspent me 10 to 1... sure some things were big ticket... like a new kitchen because his wife said theirs was dated... layout stayed the same.

Aside from the kitchen... the big difference is they paid people for things I do myself... guy to clean the gutters, gardner, plumber, painter, fence contractor... etc.

Owning a home opens a new window to unlimited spending possibilities for those so inclined.

Material cost to repair a leaky faucet... $2 Cost to have a plumber do it here is over a $100

Old 11-14-2010, 04:07 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Or you can just find yourself a good reliable handyman and use him for jobs you cannot do yourself.

Old 11-14-2010, 04:17 PM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
we use a handy man.

heres the last 90 days

we power washed the deck and porch and re-weatherized the deck , its been 5 years now since the house was built and the winters are are brutal

1200.00 bucks.
school tax came 2100.00
pre-bought winter propane 1500.00

last year the sceptic line pitch must have changed and it froze up 700.00 bucks to fix

our garage was un-finished sheet rock and it started to mildew from the humidity. 260.00 to get rid of mildew and mold and re-paint.

humidy started to rust basement door 150.00 to repaint.

gutters and leaders had to be cleaned out from fall as the house is in the woods 125.00

replace smoke detector in an attic where i couldnt get to 50.00 bucks

lawn clean up and cutting 60.00

theres more i just cant think of them all

Old 11-14-2010, 04:19 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Or you can just find yourself a good reliable handyman and use him for jobs you cannot do yourself.
That is one of the things I admire about many Texans and Country People... they tend to by much more self-reliant and have a network of friends and family in place vs city dwellers.

On Mom's Dairy Farm side of the family... all trades are represented.

Many previous renters and first time homeowners fall into the trap of having everything done... they are accustom to calling the Landlord when something needs attention.

Home across the street spends a small fortune with the big name Rooter Sewer guys... hair logs, kids dropping things in the toilet.

I bought them a plunger for a gift... neighbor says it has already saved him hundreds of dollars.

I also gave them the name of a one man shop sewer guy... his work is excellent and less than half what the big guys charge...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 11-14-2010 at 04:39 PM..

Old 11-14-2010, 04:24 PM

Holy crimney mathjak107. I guess I'm glad to live in Texas.

My second place:
1940's renovated pier and beam, septic and well on 45 acres.
I just went out there this weekend to "winterize"..hose faucet covers and heat set to 45.

Took me 2 years to find an old home that was taken care of over the years but my patience paid off.

Old 11-14-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
That is one of the things I admire about many Texans and Country People... they tend to by much more self-reliant and have a network of friends and family in place vs city dwellers.

On Mom's Dairy Farm side of the family... all trades are represented.

Many previous renters and first time homeowners fall into the trap of having everything done... they are accustom to calling the Landlord when something needs attention.

Home across the street spends a small fortune with the big name Rooter Sewer guys... hair logs, kids dropping things in the toilet.

I bought them a plunger for a gift... neighbor says it has already saved him hundreds of dollars.

I also gave them the name of a man sewer guy... his work is excellent and less than half what the big guys charge...
Well Ultra that seems to be the way it is. If you need something done you ask your neighbors for a recommendation. Reputation and fairness go further than any ad in the paper.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:39 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,884,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Why not? Because bubbles are not sustainable. Because wages are declining. Because the housing crash came from unaffordable housing prices to begin with.
The fact is despite all the tricks and mirrors, real estate prices are continuing to decline.
Here in California, banks are sitting on a 9 year housing supply at present sales volume.
So long as you have massive supply and poor demand, you will have lower prices.
Hmm, seems to me like most parts of the in-demand parts of California are doing ok in housing prices over the last 6 months. The stuff that isn't moving is the stuff no one really wanted to live in anyways unless they had to because of affordability issues. So yes if you are equating the whole housing market to what is happening in Stockton then you just might be correct for a little while longer.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:10 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
I rent an apartment for $460 a month. My fridge went out a few months ago. I phoned the office and the maintenance man brought over a new one and plugged it in.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:43 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
interesting question.

2030 is a long way off, and we don't know what will happen with the mortgage markets, whether they will be privatized again.

i think at the rate we're going in the short term, the dollar is a better bet. i think we still have an asset bubble.

in the long term i think housing is a better bet, just based on how our monetary system works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics