Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 08:18 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,549,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

Another brilliant comment.

You might want to actually read newspaper articles discussing studies published by policy centers at universities.

At $3.00/gallon, about 15% are affected and forced to cut-back spending or driving in order to "make ends meet."

Each $0.25 increase affects a larger segment of the population. At $4.00/gallon more than 50% are forced to adjust their spending habits in order to maintain even minimal gasoline consumption, and that is simply driving to and from work. Retail volume is also altered as people's habits change in order to adjust to the higher prices.

That is to say that retailers (and restaurants) are forced to alter scheduling which means hours are cut for employees.
Good observations. Our rough numbers were that US driving would be significantly curtailed at $5.00 a gallon, and airlines and trucking would be going down at $10 a gallon, and agriculture goes off somewhere between $10 and $20.

But our views were from the "other" side -- renewables and conversion of transportation and other oil fuel consumption to various electric-based options.

It appeared to play out correctly in that both motor fuel use and miles driven were down at $4 + gallon.

One part that comes to my mind that seems to be overlooked in these discussion is the actual use patterns. While I see folks make the pharmco observations (and now for the first time the critical matter of fellatio resistance lipsticks. ) -- by overall use these applications matter little compared to US transportation.

US transportation use of Oil is such a large sector, that simply reducing that use alone would leave decades (or more) surplus for other uses and the rest of the world. It would seem that to take down the largest problem -- first -- would solve much of the overall problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 09:46 AM

2,168 posts, read 3,389,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What recovery ?
June 2009 the recession "officially ended".
18 months later..what recovery ?
Are you invested in the stock market? Do you have a 401K? Have you looked at unemployment figures? Have you looked at hiring and billing indexes? Have you looked at jobs numbers? All signs point to a slow and steady recovery. No, it's not the Dow 14000 instant gratification that everybody demands, but the economy IS recovering.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:04 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,478,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Jesus ****ing christ how on earth do you guys know that much about oil?

All I know about it is that you can drink someone else's milkshake, and relay that information to them before beating them over the head with a bowling pin.
For me, it comes from living for most of my adult life in areas where energy production (coal, natural gas, and/or oil) is a major industry. I also have a lot of friends and business colleagues who work in the industry. I've also spent time working in and around both the agriculture and transportation industries. All of that experience makes what I see happening right now all the more terrifying to me. This country is in big trouble when it comes to energy and transportation--to the point that it threatens our national security and survival. And we continue to do all the wrong things and make all the wrong decisions. Bad, really bad.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:20 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,977,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
For me, it comes from living for most of my adult life in areas where energy production (coal, natural gas, and/or oil) is a major industry. I also have a lot of friends and business colleagues who work in the industry. I've also spent time working in and around both the agriculture and transportation industries. All of that experience makes what I see happening right now all the more terrifying to me. This country is in big trouble when it comes to energy and transportation--to the point that it threatens our national security and survival. And we continue to do all the wrong things and make all the wrong decisions. Bad, really bad.
Added to your personal observations, all anyone has to do is pick up a book by someone who DOES know what they're talking about and for a few moments, just while reading the book, suspend the urge to call that author a doomsayer. The government will never put out the true facts to the public because imperialism is the driving factor for the U.S., not just for oil but for (attempted) domination. The naivety of those who say "no problem" is kind of pathetic.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:24 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,018,818 times
Mircea,

You painted a labor situation for the railroads that perhaps existed in the 60's.Not today.Train crews are paid hourly now.Also almost all train crews are only two people.The railroad that I worked for for 37 years,never had a lower ROI than 10%.The railroads are perfectly happy to let most americans believe they are broke or close to it,while they make nice profits.Warren buffet is not stupid.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:10 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,304,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
$4.00+/gal. gas is coming again, believe it.

Once this happens, any hopes for recovery will be dashed. Families will have to end any discretionary spending just to fill the gas tank.

Businesses that deliver goods and really just businesses in general will be affected.
Please provide the basis of your assertion that gas is going to significantly increase in price.

Can you tell what change is going to take place in the dynamics of supply and demand that are going to drive up the price of gasoline?

Old 12-13-2010, 08:15 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,304,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post

Why the problem with diesel? Because:

1. Worldwide diesel fuel demand is exploding, especially in the developing countries.

I happen to speak with somebody that works for one of the larger energy suppliers in Asia. According to the informaton I was given there is actually an OVERSUPPLY of refining capacity in the Asia-Pacific region, which happens to be the fast growing region of the world economically.

Can you tell me again what is the basis of your assertion?

Old 12-13-2010, 08:39 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,201,832 times
Hah I just now realized that you two are different posters... JazzyTallGuy, jazzlover. I guess I just gloss over names a lot.

I also have issues with about three posters with some derivation of "Texas" in their name.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:12 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,478,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
I happen to speak with somebody that works for one of the larger energy suppliers in Asia. According to the informaton I was given there is actually an OVERSUPPLY of refining capacity in the Asia-Pacific region, which happens to be the fast growing region of the world economically.

Can you tell me again what is the basis of your assertion?
I base it on a number of factors.

First, all indications are that the dollar is going to tank vis-a-vis a number of foreign currencies. Since we import about 70% of our oil, just a modest decline in the dollar will send oil prices in this country up.

Second, most of the price declines we saw in oil prices in this country in the last couple of years were because of declining domestic demand caused by our economic problems. If the economy recovers AT ALL, it will cause an increase in oil demand, which will immediately cause higher domestic oil prices. It would also push American refinery capacity back up near its practical limits--such that even some disruption of any kind at even one or two US refineries could lead to nearly immediate supply problems.

Third, there is big trouble brewing in the oil fields of one of our major suppliers--Mexico. Their biggest oil fields are now in serious depletion, and--in fact--are depleting more rapidly than predicted. That will cause both a decrease in easily available oil supplies for the US, and the economic chaos that those depletions will cause in Mexico may even further jeopardize US access to their remaining reserves. There is growing evidence that cheap-to-produce oil reserves in other areas--Saudi Arabia is one example--are also depleting at faster rates than either predicted or acknowledged.

Fourth, worldwide demand for petroleum products, especially diesel fuel, continues to increase and will continue to do so unless a full-scale worldwide economic collapse occurs.

There may be short-term up and down fluctuations in oil prices--in fact, I predict serious price volatility--but the overall trend will be toward much higher prices. Considering that neither our government, business community, nor citizenry has embarked on any serious plan of how to modify our lifestyle in the face of such increases, my prediction is that such increases will cause a nearly incalculable amount of economic and social pain when they arrive--and that is likely to be much sooner than anyone thinks.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:29 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,569,957 times
It would be extremely beneficial to all of us if somebody stole Helicopter Ben's money-printing machine and blew it to smithereens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics