Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 12:37 AM

111 posts, read 295,300 times

Advertisements

Why would Delaware be a bad one; don't the majority of corporations file their articles there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 01:10 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,687 posts, read 57,985,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post

What do you think about it ?
I think they have CO and WA reversed, but need to understand their criteria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Washington State is a small business haven. ....
On the bad side, though, is also listed on the website. ... In all I think it is a pretty good state to do business in.
I will say I agree with the comment on the site from oddhan 12/10/10 12:46

I think WA is very poor to do business in as an entrepreneur, but largely under specific issues.

B&O tax is based on GROSS not NET revenue (that is down right scary!!)

Personal Property and Use Tax can absolutely sink a business with High Capital equipment needs (or too many paper clips, inventory, or trash cans on hand ). Thus MANY (many) businesses are fleeing WA and setting up shop in ID, and EVEN OR

The WA DOR is very involved in auditing and YOU WILL be audited and likely some little rule will make you delinquent and you WILL BE fined and levied a hefty interest / penalty. Then you will get to be audited MORE frequently (Oh Boy, that is time well spent as an entrepreneur )

DO NOT... I repeat DO NOT try to do your payroll / L&I manually ESPECIALLY if you have multiple classes of workers. This will take you longer and more energy than inventing your product (and you WILL do it wrong...) (again )

I think WA MIGHT be good to do business in IF you are a softwre developer and have NO / FEW tangible BUSINESS Assets. (And even less employees, certainly none that require L&I... btw: you don't want to be a 'logger' or fisherman !!!! L&I rates will KILL you if the trees, fish, sea, or owls don't first)

Old 12-13-2010, 12:19 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,729,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I think they have CO and WA reversed, but need to understand their criteria.

I will say I agree with the comment on the site from oddhan 12/10/10 12:46

I think WA is very poor to do business in as an entrepreneur, but largely under specific issues.

B&O tax is based on GROSS not NET revenue (that is down right scary!!)

Personal Property and Use Tax can absolutely sink a business with High Capital equipment needs (or too many paper clips, inventory, or trash cans on hand ). Thus MANY (many) businesses are fleeing WA and setting up shop in ID, and EVEN OR

The WA DOR is very involved in auditing and YOU WILL be audited and likely some little rule will make you delinquent and you WILL BE fined and levied a hefty interest / penalty. Then you will get to be audited MORE frequently (Oh Boy, that is time well spent as an entrepreneur )

DO NOT... I repeat DO NOT try to do your payroll / L&I manually ESPECIALLY if you have multiple classes of workers. This will take you longer and more energy than inventing your product (and you WILL do it wrong...) (again )

I think WA MIGHT be good to do business in IF you are a softwre developer and have NO / FEW tangible BUSINESS Assets. (And even less employees, certainly none that require L&I... btw: you don't want to be a 'logger' or fisherman !!!! L&I rates will KILL you if the trees, fish, sea, or owls don't first)
Agreed. A small business can succeed in WA, but you either need to stay small as a sole proprieter, go large-or go home. Labor based business's work-provided you can overcome the labor costs. Brokerage type work(wholesale sales where you move large volumes of product/value at a low % markup) will eat you alive in B&O taxes. You move $1,000,000 in merchandise, and profit only 5%, better be ready to pay taxes on that $1M!

You can always count on overlapping grey area verbage to make running your business difficult here. Licensing will say ok, zoning will say no, city will disagree with both. Making one happy will raise another problem with a different dept. It's not "yes we can" in WA state, it's "you can't do that".

I've owned a small business in WA, can say I will NEVER make that mistake again.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:16 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,368,221 times
It's sad about WA state :/

Old 12-13-2010, 07:33 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,894,530 times
I heard a speaker say a "small business" is one with revenues between $500,000 and $1 million annually. What if your business takes in less than half a million? I guess that makes it microscopic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics