Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 09:49 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,671,929 times

Advertisements

"It's been two years since 34-year-old Jdimytai Damour was trampled to death by a frenzied crowd of Black Friday shoppers at a Long Island Walmart. The stampede is a twisted symbol of what's become of the American Dream: We'll apparently stop at nothing in the quest for more stuff.

But that wasn't the holy grail that James Truslow Adams had in mind when he first coined the phrase "American Dream" in his 1931 book, The Epic of America. Instead he believed in "that dream of a land in which life should be better and richer and fuller for everyone ... It is not a dream of motor cars and high wages merely, but a dream of social order in which each man and each woman shall be able to attain to the fullest stature of which they are innately capable, and be recognized by others for what they are, regardless of the fortuitous circumstances of birth or position"

Downsize Nation: Welcome to the New, Smaller American Dream | Environment | AlterNet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 08:47 AM

Hmmm......an event happening to millions in America that is of so little interest that no one cares to discuss.

Or is it to painful?

Old 12-10-2010, 09:21 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,192,775 times
Self-bump!

Old 12-10-2010, 11:30 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,802,225 times
I am very interested in this mostly to geek out on it, sociology style.

I believe the issue boils down to this: people at their core are social animals concerned with status, both overtly and subconciously.

A McMansion and the whole "living large" thing really just boiled down to a display of status... but one that at it's heart was a phony display. The appearance of living large was created by credit, creative financing, cheap-o poor quality construction and cheap quality stuff that "looks rich", 2 income families ... in a nutshell the whole " putting lipstick on a pig" phenomenon. None of these people were truly "rich" to begin with; they just were putting on a charade to make it look like they had "arrived". What erruped was an arms race of sorts between the Joneses, which has only now come to a head and finally collapsed on itself.

So now that it doesn't work anymore, will people grow up socially, stop looking merely at appearances and give/earn status honestly (i.e. by doing status worthy deeds or demonstrating true worth in other ways)?

How will people identify and/or flash their status to the world now?

Old 12-10-2010, 12:08 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,802,225 times
....to add to what I was saying, there really were 2 worlds of the wealthy.

The "old school" wealthy were easy to tell apart from "new money" (at least what I see here in UT) because they were not nearly as concerned with making a display of their wealth. Their luxury was pointed inward, used quality "ingredients" (never a shred of pressboard or off the shelf accessories) with truly unique, finely crafted accoutrements. Their homes blended into the surrounding environment and were more often than not invisble from the street. They would drive normal, late model cars or pickups around and often had something "special" in the garage to take for a spin on weekends, like a rare supercar or an immacuately restored Muscle car.

The other half build mostrous houses with off the shelf home depot crap, usually in faux "Tuscan" style and did their daily driving in blinged out Hummers, Escalades or other "loud", expensive but not necesarily rare or exceptional vehicles. Their homes would be outfitted by the local purveyers of finely mass-pressed pressboard furniture and they never seemed to fail to insist on special treatment wherever they went.

Since the bust, the type 2 rich person is getting kinda rare, while type 1 rich people hardly even noticed there was a recession going on.

It's very telling to me and I feel vindicated, being that I've felt distgust for the phony, superficial way those "type 2" folks went about life even at the height of the boom. I could never undertand why people seemed to follow the trends set by the "type 2ers" as opposed to the "type 1ers", but I guess I know now. The "1ers" didn't care or even want a fan club, but the "2ers" did, in a big way. They actively sought attention and craved the envy of other people, and did what ever it took to get it.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:58 PM

513 posts, read 541,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Hmmm......an event happening to millions in America that is of so little interest that no one cares to discuss.

Or is it to painful?
You know - M*A*S*H is one of my favorite shows of all time - but after seeing the same episodes the umpteen-millionth time where I'm quoting every character's line without trying - it gets quite boring.

The one trick your dead pony was doing wasn't even that interesting to begin with - but feel free to keep beating on the carcass!

Old 12-10-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyMcGarley View Post
You know - M*A*S*H is one of my favorite shows of all time - but after seeing the same episodes the umpteen-millionth time where I'm quoting every character's line without trying - it gets quite boring.

The one trick your dead pony was doing wasn't even that interesting to begin with - but feel free to keep beating on the carcass!
Find some good news and we'll discuss it. Otherwise, I'll continue to post the news of the day as it's found.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:21 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
I'm finding less is more is quite rewarding.
I've always marched to a different beat throughout my life and didn't care for the "keeping up with the Jones crowd". I'm a white collar worker who lives a blue collar life and am quite happy.
I've got a BS in Computer Science and work in tech all day long yet at home I live low to no tech.
I see a lot more folks starting to move in that direction lately. I think that's good as most of the tech stuff costs money to both buy and use (electricity).

Old 12-10-2010, 09:15 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,652,838 times
Sometimes it's a relief to forget Keeping Up with the Jones's and Keep Down with the Jones's.

I predict we'll be seeing people compete on who's more frugal than their neighbors..once Small Is Beautiful becomes the cool thing to do.

McMansions will be replaced by McCottage or McHut.

Gotta happen, too many people using up dwindling finite resources...we're running out of supply.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:30 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,192,775 times
Given how quickly sales of large vehicles rebound at the slightest hint of economic recovery, I don't hold much hope for some new dawn of smaller living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics