Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 02:06 PM

106,679 posts, read 108,856,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
If things are good and the future is so rosy, why did the FED need to put the government into another 600 billion in debt? Why did the Congress and White House have to extend tax cuts, going back on promises that they know will cost them politically? Why is the Unemployment rate at its highest rate since this whole mess began? Why is the dollar going down and the cost of everything going up? Why are people more in debt now than they were in 2006? Because things are not going well. If they were interest rates would be going down as they did in QEI when people had some confidence it would work. The fact that some companies are making good profits from off shoring jobs and selling in the American market may be great for those particular companies and make the stock market look good but it does nothing for the economy.
they seemed to feel we needed more grease for the wheels to sustain and strengthen things further . we are not in great shape but most of the fears and that flight to quality have stopped . rates were way to low and were only at those levels because we had a flight to quality.a healthy economy would be running at far higher interest rates then we are at thats a given.

by inflating the markets they are attempting to create more spending as those of us who have investments will tend to spend more on discretionary items if our accounts are growing. i know i was watching every penny in 2008 when account values plunged.

the costs of everything is not going up. some sectors like food and energy are but overall inflation is quite tame. with no job growth or salary increases deflation may be a bigger risk if food and energy consume more of our dollars and we have less to spend elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 02:13 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,476,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the costs of everything is not going up. some sectors like food and energy are but overall inflation is quite tame. with no job growth or salary increases deflation may be a bigger risk if food and energy consume more of our dollars and we have less to spend elsewhere.
So, in other words, inflation in prices for the food we need to keep from starving and the fuel we need to keep from freezing really isn't a problem so long as big screen TV's are getting cheaper. God, no wonder the country is in such big trouble, what with thinking like that.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:20 PM

well for a country whos gdp is 70% consumer spending you arent off the mark

Old 12-16-2010, 03:15 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,289,826 times
Quote:
they seemed to feel we needed more grease for the wheels to sustain and strengthen things further . we are not in great shape but most of the fears and that flight to quality have stopped . rates were way to low and were only at those levels because we had a flight to quality.a healthy economy would be running at far higher interest rates then we are at thats a given.

by inflating the markets they are attempting to create more spending as those of us who have investments will tend to spend more on discretionary items if our accounts are growing. i know i was watching every penny in 2008 when account values plunged.

The grease as you call it is a failed attempt to limit inflation by holding down interest rates as Beryankme plainly said.
They have been somewhat successful in getting people to believe they will gain by investing in the market, or perhaps it is just that people feel that Treasuries are now as risky as stocks with rates rising.
The reason inflation appears to be tame is that we have increasing costs in consumables and energy at the same time as deflation in assets. The truth is we have both inflation and deflation.
So long as the government is printing and spending at these levels, the dollar will continue to loose confidence worldwide as a reserve currency. That is what is driving interest rates. OPEC is looking to stop using the dollar and go to a basket of currencies, China and Russia are discontinuing use of the dollar for trade between their countries. Tourists in Mexico and Amsterdam can no longer use dollars for purchases. We now find ourselves in much the same position as Europe. Either we begin to implement austerity measures or we are going to face a currency crisis. Neither is positive for the economy or the market going forward.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:23 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
Quote:
If things are good and the future is so rosy
Things aren't all good, but taken as an aggregate it is fair to say they are much better than they were. Still have housing problem, still have unemployment problem, still have debt problem.

Old 12-16-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Things aren't all good, but taken as an aggregate it is fair to say they are much better than they were. Still have housing problem, still have unemployment problem, still have debt problem.
I don't think they are better, just different. The feeling of panic is subsided for now, but by transferring the problem from the private sector to the public sector we have put ourselves in danger of a monetary crisis.
We have only been able to get away with our deficit spending because of our reserve currency status. We now have put that in jeopardy.

Old 12-16-2010, 04:37 PM

well i cant speak for others ,only my own expieriences but i see things a whole lot less bad then they were. no more pay cuts for me . changed jobs 3x in one year with no trouble finding a job . took a 30% pay cut but business has been getting better and better and i may even hit the magic number i need for commissions to start to replenish that pay cut. the last 2 months have been my best ever in my 30 plus year career.

our net worth has blasted thru new highs quite a few times the last 2 months.

over all im satisfied in the direction of things.

im sure there are many that dont share my view or outlook and their opinion is just as valid for them and their own personal expierience with things..

Old 12-16-2010, 10:33 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,651,187 times
Quote:
I don't think they are better, just different. The feeling of panic is subsided for now, but by transferring the problem from the private sector to the public sector we have put ourselves in danger of a monetary crisis.
We have only been able to get away with our deficit spending because of our reserve currency status. We now have put that in jeopardy.
I would agree. Some of the initial fear is gone, but overall things are really stagnant. The economy isn't sliding like it was in late 2008 and early 2009 but it couldn't maintain that pace. Still, the economy is very fragile and I wouldn't say things are better...maybe people are just used to the way it is now.

Old 12-17-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
well i cant speak for others ,only my own expieriences but i see things a whole lot less bad then they were. no more pay cuts for me . changed jobs 3x in one year with no trouble finding a job . took a 30% pay cut but business has been getting better and better and i may even hit the magic number i need for commissions to start to replenish that pay cut. the last 2 months have been my best ever in my 30 plus year career.

our net worth has blasted thru new highs quite a few times the last 2 months.

over all im satisfied in the direction of things.

im sure there are many that dont share my view or outlook and their opinion is just as valid for them and their own personal expierience with things..
It is good that things are looking up for you. Too bad everyone is not in the same boat. We know of 2 families who have just recently lost their homes. It seems as if people fall below a certain level it is really hard for them to turn it around.

Old 12-17-2010, 04:11 PM

yes you are right about that. its like you are what you feel and after a while it just eminates from you and employers can sense that beaten feeling i think. like those folks who go on a date and havent dated in years and just act all lame and wierd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics