Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 06:42 AM

137 posts, read 656,629 times

Advertisements

I have worked in corporate America for two years, since I graduated college and it certainly seems to me that getting on the "fast track" has absolutely nothing to do with talent, work ethic, or business acumen. Has anyone else observed this? Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 08:22 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
The traditional method is to marry the boss's daughter. The second traditional method is to commit fraud for the boss so he gets lots of money. Welcome to the real world.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:53 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,546,851 times
Let's get Medieval -- The path to ascendancy is murder.

Study Macbeth. Yunno, Shakespeare.

See, THIS is why the Liberal Arts and Literature should still be part of the Education System.

A B-School Grad, and Would-Be Corporate Leader that does not know how to kill his way to the top.

Old 10-23-2010, 09:59 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
IMO getting ahead is a combination of skill, hard work, and social skills with the job type and company culture dictating what percentages of each.

Old 10-23-2010, 10:41 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,481,082 times
In my university there are a group of young guys (mostly) who are already fast-tracked through jobs earned via dad and grandad. I've moved into their circle somewhat with a combo of showmanship/bs/schmoozing and wine peppered with investing acumen.

The socializing and schmoozing is the most important part, I find. That and projecting a Type A personality.

Old 10-23-2010, 12:46 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,378,188 times
Agree about the schmoozing... Whatever you want to call it... schmoozing, socializing, networking, kissing butt, finding powerful mentors, making the boss look good, marrying the owner's daughter, going to college with his/her son ... These things have helped many get ahead in the Corporate America game....

Old 10-23-2010, 01:05 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Be "personally responsible". Everyone who succeeds is, and everyone who doesn't succeed isn't.

The conservative anti-welfare zealots have never provided much more elaboration than that.

Old 10-23-2010, 01:13 PM

362 posts, read 392,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberry2 View Post
I have worked in corporate America for two years, since I graduated college and it certainly seems to me that getting on the "fast track" has absolutely nothing to do with talent, work ethic, or business acumen. Has anyone else observed this? Suggestions?
Been that way since hitler was a corporal. Best thing is to remove yourself from whoreporate america and start your own biz. I did this in '94. Best move I ever made. Now they can cut each other's throats and I'll never know or care. Get off the treadmill. They will try to keep as many rats on it as they can.

Old 10-23-2010, 01:37 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeepoRsheep View Post
Been that way since hitler was a corporal. Best thing is to remove yourself from whoreporate america and start your own biz. I did this in '94. Best move I ever made. Now they can cut each other's throats and I'll never know or care. Get off the treadmill. They will try to keep as many rats on it as they can.
This! Definately This!

Taking the easy path of going to college, getting an entry level job, working your way up is the brute force method to work-your-life-away success. Most people take this path because it affords them enough to get by (buy a home, 2 cars, etc)... but don't care about wealth. This is perfectly fine and it suits them well.

But for someone who wants to create wealth, break the $200k salary barrier and live without financial stress, following the easy brute force path may not be the correct one. Starting your own business and generating residual income is more aligned with the desired goals of building wealth.

Old 10-23-2010, 01:44 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,422,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
IMO getting ahead is a combination of skill, hard work, and social skills with the job type and company culture dictating what percentages of each.
If by skill you mean brown-nosing skills, then I'd agree.

Also a lot depends on the industry, some are more meritocratic than others (usually those that are more knowledge intensive).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics