Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 08:00 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,021,443 times

Advertisements

One of my many mistake in life was not applying for a secure federal govt job like at the va hospital in loma linda, ca. When i was honorably discharged from the army at that time i wasnt intrested in a govt job. I started my own business & i did good for quite awhile.

But that all changed a few yrs or so back.

Last edited by steel7; 12-31-2010 at 08:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 04:18 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,265,380 times
State and Local Governments have to be in panic mode about now - the New House is going to be very different than the old House. Unions will be up in arms - they will have a hard time getting public sympathy this time. Too many stunts like the recent Snow temper tantrum in New York City have the public against the unions.

First volley was the removal of the Build America Bonds program - it's now gone.

Budget-crunched states prepare for reduced aid under GOP House

Quote:
Under the program, a state would issue taxable debt to finance a project and later receive a check from the Treasury Department subsidizing a portion of the interest cost. The program was wildly popular among state and local governments, with nearly $200 billion being issued in two years.
Legislation is going to be introduced to prevent any Pension Bailouts, Legislation is going to be introduced to force State and Local Government to reveal Pension financials. There is talk of Legislation to pave a way for State Bankruptcy. There is only 60 Billion in 2011 Stimulus funds for States, only 6 Billion in 2012 - there will be GOP House committees that oversee that funding. There are new rules in the House for the Budget - they will cover the 2010 Budget that the Dems never voted on and the new Budget for 2011.

This is going to be the major battle of 2011 - several States are effectively bankrupt now, lots of Cities/Towns are in the same bad shape.

The well is dry - riots to follow soon. It's going to be a mess.

Old 01-01-2011, 04:25 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
I just can't see how the Fed could even consider bailing out city/state pensions..there's way too many of them underfunded and no way to even pay the money back.

We've got that one town in Alabama as the first one to stop paying.
When push comes to shove though, bond interest has priority over pension payments.
Many cities around the US have deep debt in bonds they used to finance everything.

Old 01-01-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
The govt (city, county, state & federal) will not cut the public employees pensions, salaries or benefits any time soon. New hires is a totally different story.

If taxes are raised or services have to be cut then they will do it.

Govt employees will protect themselves cause its a dog eat dog world.
Not a surprise that the Union considers it a "dog eat dog world" or that they only care about "protecting themselves". The Federal pensions will be fine - it's going to be up to the people in each State how they handle their money problems - will the taxpayers (and politicians) give up everything to "protect" the unions?

Doubtful - when the money is gone, it's gone. Spending like drunk sailors and greed are about to catch up with some folks. The bad news is that people will be hurt by this "protectionism" that has run amuck for many years.

Old 01-01-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I just can't see how the Fed could even consider bailing out city/state pensions..there's way too many of them underfunded and no way to even pay the money back.

We've got that one town in Alabama as the first one to stop paying.
When push comes to shove though, bond interest has priority over pension payments.
Many cities around the US have deep debt in bonds they used to finance everything.
Secured bond interest USED to have priority. We all learned it did not in the GM and Chrysler bankruptcies. Legislation is going to be introduced also to protect Bond holders so that can't happen again.

The FED has been bailing out the State pensions for the last two years - they are going to have a hard time doing that now. Very few CongressCritters would vote for such a thing today. I'm sure that the Union bosses and Obama have a plan of some sort - I don't think he can do it by Executive order.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:37 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,673,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
...The FED has been bailing out the State pensions for the last two years - they are going to have a hard time doing that now. Very few CongressCritters would vote for such a thing today. I'm sure that the Union bosses and Obama have a plan of some sort - I don't think he can do it by Executive order.

Why not? The Fed bailed out Wall Street, which caused a lot of this mess.

Much of States' pension funds are invested by Wall Street. Virginia's pension fund lost $14 Billion in the meltdown. Add to that the fact that State legislatures are raiding their pension funds to balance their budgets...and no wonder pensions are underfunded. (Virginia has NO public unions whatsoever)

I read that Bank of America is negotiating settlements with large investors that lost big bucks investing in Countrywide's garbage mortgages. Why aren't the States trying to recoup some of their losses in a similar fashion.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:57 AM

4,246 posts, read 12,024,391 times
How can the Fed bail out everyone when they have trillions in debt?

Old 01-02-2011, 10:02 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,673,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
How can the Fed bail out everyone when they have trillions in debt?
Quadrillions?

Old 01-02-2011, 02:56 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times
Default 2011 Public Pensions Get Whacked

2011: The Year Public Pension Plans Get Whacked - CBS MoneyWatch.com

sorry state of affairs

Old 01-03-2011, 10:30 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
The govt (city, county, state & federal) will not cut the public employees pensions, salaries or benefits any time soon. New hires is a totally different story.

If taxes are raised or services have to be cut then they will do it.

Govt employees will protect themselves cause its a dog eat dog world.
Actually, the police in my large city recently took pay and benefit cuts totaling over 4% of compensation. Top management took pay and benefit cuts totaling 10% of compensation. Since pensions and health care benefits are going up fast, that means they lost more than 4% and 10% in their respective pay checks.

Other bargaining units that didn't take the cuts got layoffs. This year, there will be both layoffs and pay cuts for everyone, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics