U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-10-2011, 03:58 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
2,884 posts, read 5,674,368 times
Reputation: 2760

Advertisements

Stock up on knowledge. That's the real commodity going forward.

Many of the cases you gave (like buying homes) were the result of mis information. They're not making any more land?? Real estate always goes up? You have to live somewhere? Remember that arguement?

The lack of proper schooling (k-12) + propaganda and misinformation from the media, can lead to a lack of understanding of investments. I don't trust the media for anything. They're shills, spinsters, self promoters. I think they want to shout over the american public, so the public isn't prepared. Jim Cramer is still on the air? They aren't going to make you anything. I think the media has set the american populace up to be as unprepared as they can, for the future.

Look at what's been hyped over the last 10 years. Nasdaq stocks. Housing? Flipping homes? Now social media (I just saw CNBC doing a piece on facebook). Do the opposite of what the media is promoting, and you'll probably do ok.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-13-2011, 03:26 PM
 
111 posts, read 287,217 times
Reputation: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Dream on. First, the US and North America do not have "unlimited" natural resources. No place does, and certainly not in the United States. Many of our cheap, easy-to-produce resources have already been exploited. From here on out, a whole lot of natural resources that we took for granted are going to get a lot more expensive, and may even be in short supply. I should add that setting the US economy into a tizzy doesn't take flat running out of resources, it will just take having them get more expensive. As an example, diesel fuel is trending up toward $4.00/gallon right now in many places. Anything over $4.00 will start causing significant economic difficulties in this country, just as it did in 2008. Imagine if it went to $6.00--really big trouble then. And that is just one commodity.

As for China, I stand on my earlier comment. They have already proven quite adept at stealing our military and industrial technology. They also are rapidly developing the manufacturing power to deploy it. slackjaw forgets history--specifically that Germany and Japan were able to develop an industrial base and war machine before WWII under much less favorable circumstances than China now enjoys, and they managed to do it in less than a decade.

slackjaw can leave his head buried in the sand (or wherever else he has it stuck), but people like him who ignore the lessons of history do so at their peril. And history gives us some pretty solid guidance here--if people bother to study it, which most Americans can not be bothered with doing these days.
We have the majority of the world's fresh water and you want to complain about diesel prices? I'm sorry but high fuel prices are only going to force people to innovate, not die immediately in some blazing economic fire. What's China gonna do, blow up a few marinas on the west coast? GMAFB.

I can see the President addressing the nation now, "Man we can't find the 4 Chinese subs off the west coast. Looks like last night they blew up 2 more small speedboats. Meanwhile, 150 million more Chinese folks just decided they want to UP their standard of living." China is so screwed and you don't even know it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2011, 03:50 PM
 
111 posts, read 287,217 times
Reputation: 79
I see the point about high fuel prices wrecking havoc on our truck-based economy. But really, that would end up hurting our overseas corporations the most, as now they have to pay exorbitant fuel charges to move products overseas and THEN across country. Local corporations that ship regionally would profit more due to the bigger rise in overseas manufacturing costs.

Now I'm not sure if increased fuel charges would be enough to offset the low cost of overseas labor.

I still think we'd innovate before anarchy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2011, 04:35 PM
 
5,760 posts, read 11,073,493 times
Reputation: 4949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerksticks View Post
I see the point about high fuel prices wrecking havoc on our truck-based economy. But really, that would end up hurting our overseas corporations the most, as now they have to pay exorbitant fuel charges to move products overseas and THEN across country. Local corporations that ship regionally would profit more due to the bigger rise in overseas manufacturing costs.

Now I'm not sure if increased fuel charges would be enough to offset the low cost of overseas labor.
Excellent example of Changed Case thinking.


Quote:
I still think we'd innovate before anarchy.
Changed Case does tend to be most likely, but just be covered for the Worst and Best Cases, as well, and you will do fine.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2011, 08:55 AM
 
1,013 posts, read 872,521 times
Reputation: 489
how about growing a garden.

No longer do you need to eat that crap that is ridden with pesticides and gm food from monstanto etc.

Think of it as a hobby. Lots of people do it already anyway and helps if things go bad and if they dont, hey its a hobby.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2011, 12:55 PM
 
5,760 posts, read 11,073,493 times
Reputation: 4949
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen811 View Post
how about growing a garden.

No longer do you need to eat that crap that is ridden with pesticides and gm food from monstanto etc.

Think of it as a hobby. Lots of people do it already anyway and helps if things go bad and if they dont, hey its a hobby.
Excellent application.

And there is a pretty good garden section here on City Data forum.

Sure makes more sense to water and care for a garden compared to a lawn.

We did our first round of home gardening in 5 gallon pails. Tomatoes, Bell Peppers, Squash, Melons. Still have some of the original plants growing and producing from 4 years ago.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2011, 12:25 AM
 
Location: Ohio
23,508 posts, read 17,599,680 times
Reputation: 20404
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
As for China, I stand on my earlier comment. They have already proven quite adept at stealing our military and industrial technology.
It isn't stealing when Clinton gives it to them. He gave them the "football" and he gave them satellite technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
China has a piece of junk partly finished aircraft carrier they bought from Ukraine, it is assumed it could be used for training at most.
Or study.

Engineers and architects can study the design for improvements. That's what the Chinese do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
They do have a lot of submarines, most of which aren't even nuclear powered.
Why would you want nuclear submarines? They only advantage is that they can stay submerged indefinitely. That is an advantage for the US, but only in terms of its SLBM deterrent force.

Diesel/electric subs are quieter. So quiet, a Chinese sub slipped past the screens and surfaced in front of a US carrier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Their navy will not threaten the U.S. navy this decade, period.
Why would they want to?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2011, 01:38 AM
 
4,764 posts, read 3,540,706 times
Reputation: 3038
How do I protect myself against EVERYTHING? Economic collapse? WW III? A nuclear event? Asteroid/meteor impact? Climate change? Terrorist attack? Rampant inflation? The evil conglomerate Monsanto? Cancer? Heart attack? Computer viruses? Identity theft? The spread of communism? Chinese invasion? Illegal aliens? Alien rectal probing? Pressing "1" for English? The EPA? The heart break of psoriasis?

Answer: you cannot. But, you can live life to the fullest, so when the inevitable finally happens you will have no regrets. It all starts with turning off Fox News! And never, I mean ever, click on any thread started by [Content Only Available to Premium Subscribers].
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2011, 07:20 AM
 
Location: Central CT, sometimes FL and NH.
4,246 posts, read 6,248,414 times
Reputation: 5361
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
Stock up on knowledge. That's the real commodity going forward.

Many of the cases you gave (like buying homes) were the result of mis information. They're not making any more land?? Real estate always goes up? You have to live somewhere? Remember that arguement?

The lack of proper schooling (k-12) + propaganda and misinformation from the media, can lead to a lack of understanding of investments. I don't trust the media for anything. They're shills, spinsters, self promoters. I think they want to shout over the american public, so the public isn't prepared. Jim Cramer is still on the air? They aren't going to make you anything. I think the media has set the american populace up to be as unprepared as they can, for the future.

Look at what's been hyped over the last 10 years. Nasdaq stocks. Housing? Flipping homes? Now social media (I just saw CNBC doing a piece on facebook). Do the opposite of what the media is promoting, and you'll probably do ok.
I agree about doing the opposite. That's why RE is a good longterm investment if purchased right. I don't subscribe to the going down to zero theory. When you can buy a decent house, in a decent location, for the cost of a decent car then that's a screaming buy to me.

I made my first mistake buying at the top when I was young. Buying when everyone predicts RE will never recover has worked out nicely. If you're talking about Detroit or Youngstown it's one thing but for most of the US it is a different story.

BTW, many foreign investors are betting on a brighter future longterm for places like Detroit. They are coming in with cash and in many cases buying 100s of properties at a time. Some of the buyers are from places like India. Many of these buyers are well educated and with the right immigration policy they could end up assisting in rebuilding Detroit as a center of technology and research.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2011, 07:46 AM
 
8,263 posts, read 11,781,367 times
Reputation: 4793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Or study.

Engineers and architects can study the design for improvements. That's what the Chinese do.
Study how to build a ship with a flat deck? She didn't even have electronics or engines added.

Quote:
Why would you want nuclear submarines? They only advantage is that they can stay submerged indefinitely. That is an advantage for the US, but only in terms of its SLBM deterrent force.
That's isn't true at all, what do you think the reason wealthier countries that can afford to build nuclear powered attack submarines do it just for giggles?

A nuclear powered submarine can maintain a high speed for a much longer range, and it is certainly a tactical advantage for attack submarines as well since they can travel submerged at high speeds indefinitely, whereas power management is a much larger factor how a diesel submarine functions. Operational range is clearly an advantage to nuclear boats they can travel at 30 knots for 9000 miles to arrive at a remote theater if needed, a diesel boat would have to do it very slowly and would need refueling tenders or a friendly port available.

Nuclear powered subs can also be built much larger and have a lot more of the submarine's space available for the mission. Diesel subs don't have anywhere near the sonar/electronics/weapons systems of nuclear subs, they just can't afford the space.

Quote:
Diesel/electric subs are quieter. So quiet, a Chinese sub slipped past the screens and surfaced in front of a US carrier.
Yes their engines can be 100% quiet operating on battery, but modern nuclear attack are quiet enough to be just as effective in military operations where non-engine acoustics are involved, especially since they don't have to manage their battle plan with an eye towards snorkeling.

Quote:
Why would they want to?
Agreed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top