U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 04:11 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,153,973 times

Advertisements

I used to always have a feeling for what the future might bring and felt comfortable preparing for it.

Right now....I have not a real clue about how best to spend my available resources.

I bought a couple homes in case real estate comes back. I bought some coins in case hyper-inflation hits.

I bought some stock in US lithium mining thinking it could pay off handsomely.

I bought a lot of food in case the **** hits the fan.

I bought solar and wind energy so I could live off grid if need be.

I kept my business going because I figure one should make every dollar they legally can.

I bought plenty of security in case someone decides to go into partnership with me.

It seems like the board is divided into two camps:

A) Things are not that bad and will get better soon. Hope they are right but I don't see the fundamentals needed. I was an econ major.

B) Things are real bad and the **** will hit the fan soon. Good chance I figure but I am not sure.

Last edited by JohnHAdams; 01-04-2011 at 04:20 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 04:52 PM

6,797 posts, read 6,638,668 times
There is nothing wrong with covering as many bases as you can. Sounds like you are in good shape regardless of what happens.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:45 PM

8,265 posts, read 11,210,440 times
Yup, throw in a wind powered vegetable canner and I don't see any chinks in your armor.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Yup, throw in a wind powered vegetable canner and I don't see any chinks in your armor.
Oh yea....bought plenty of kevlar and that type of stuff too.

Maybe I need a partner to bring me milk and sammiches while I shoot the zombies?

Old 01-04-2011, 10:05 PM

5,409 posts, read 10,345,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHAdams View Post

It seems like the board is divided into two camps:

A) Things are not that bad and will get better soon. Hope they are right but I don't see the fundamentals needed. I was an econ major.

B) Things are real bad and the **** will hit the fan soon. Good chance I figure but I am not sure.
Such is the nature of Polarization.

Choose:

Left or Right.

D or R.

Coke or Pepsi.

Real deal, they are the same crap in different cans.

As far as making wise choices. My advice is go Eastern on this.

"Between two Goods, Choose Both. Between two Evils, Choose Neither."

When faced with Bad Choices foisted by others -- reject them.

Give yourself Good Things to Choose Between, take them both, and be happy.

That will be $50. Pay my girl on the way out.

Next.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:18 AM

8,317 posts, read 27,096,825 times
My late father gave me probably the best advice for dealing with adversity that I've yet heard. He told me:

Quote:
If you invest your time and money in anything, invest in your own knowledge and abilities first. Anything else--money, property, etc.--can be taken from you. But, unless it is physically beaten out of you, what you know and what you are able to do can not be taken from you. People with necessary skills, training, and abilities will always find their way, no matter how foul things might get.
Pretty good advice, I thought--which I've endeavored to follow.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
My late father gave me probably the best advice for dealing with adversity that I've yet heard. He told me:

Pretty good advice, I thought--which I've endeavored to follow.
I'll agree. I bought a lot of tools....even a 16" circular saw. Rough time to be doing construction work in the mountains though. I really need to rest up anyway....2010 was brutal beyond words.

Interesting about the possibility of having my stuff taken from me. Those threats began in 11/2000........

I've heard a lot. It is usually the IRS that does the taking. And the only thing they have ever done is decide that I should get more money that I thought I would. A nice surprise.

In this day....there is a real threat of agents/etc breaking down doors. My fiberglass supplier stepped outside his home, with his hands up I believe, and was assassinated by his local police. That had an impact on my thinking. Dark times to be sure.......

Last edited by JohnHAdams; 01-05-2011 at 12:26 PM..

Old 01-05-2011, 11:37 PM

20,274 posts, read 23,813,157 times
You forgot the most important element: a bomb shelter.

Another important element you missed: being proficient in Mandarin.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:57 AM

8,265 posts, read 11,210,440 times
I don't think being proficient in Mandarin is important for most people to be successful going forward.

Would it be an asset? Sure, any additional skill is an asset.
Is China's influence growing? Of course.

However very few people will find a need to speak Mandarin, even those engaged in international business. Even if the perfect situation for having learned Mandarin did arise where you were doing international business with a Chinese firm and for some reason they don't have English speakers like 99% of them you'd encounter do, very few who learned Mandarin as a second language would have the level of fluency required to conduct business. Their translators have been learning English since 2nd grade and probably spent 4-6 years here going to college in an English speaking country, that is a huge difference than anything an American can strive for without living in a Chinese speaking country.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:45 PM

6,797 posts, read 6,638,668 times
You missed his indication, he was refering to the chance we would be attacked and invaded by the Chinese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics