U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2011, 01:11 PM

64 posts, read 803,509 times

Advertisements

Is there a free and easy way to find my credit score?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 01:53 PM

6,472 posts, read 14,858,276 times
I suspect this is of the posts where someone pretends to post a question and then puts up a "commercial/spam" website as a fake response.

If so, SHAME ON YOU.

In case there is a real person who is wondering: There is ONE way to get your free credit report as provided for by the Federal Trade Commission:
Your Access to Free Credit Reports

You are entitled to one *free* credit report from each agency every twelve months.

You can PAY for a copy of the credit "score" from the three *official* credit reporting services. There are ONLY THREE official credit reporting agencies in the country:

They offer fee-based services to banks and other merchants as well as consumer services such as:
Credit Score - You can go DIRECTLY to the credit reporting agencies for the score for a small fee. But seriously, if you see 10 delinquencies on your credit report, your score is low. Otherwise, it's probably not low. Address some of the delinquencies, and the score will be higher. Doh.
Disputes - DIRECTLY contact the agencies after viewing your FREE report.
Reports - You can also pay a small fee for an extra copy of your credit report.

IMO, no consumer should go through a third party company for his/her OWN credit score or report. For services other than the free credit report, go directly to one or more of the THREE official agencies which are again:
Equifax, TransUnion Experian
where your information is secured by robust systems and procedures. There is never any reason to go through a "middle-man" for your credit information where you have a greater risk of exposing the personal information in your file to fraud and misuse.

...btw

OP, before you post a fabricated reply, let me assure you that I ABHOR spam and scammers and dishonest people. If you DARE to try to defraud someone by using CD to post a commercial website as a "Suggestion" I will HUNT YOU DOWN and contact the FTC myself. Good day.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:10 PM

64 posts, read 803,509 times
I'm a real person dude. College student, just asked a simple question.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:28 PM

458 posts, read 1,557,380 times
lol, wow. Seemed like a regular question to me.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:48 PM

10,494 posts, read 24,434,709 times
Totally free:

Free Credit Score & Credit Report Card. No Credit Card Needed

Old 01-11-2011, 07:13 AM

10,135 posts, read 24,730,613 times
Why is this so hard?

Here is the link, not that other spam^^^:

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/resources...tformfinal.pdf

Be sure to blacken all three blocks at the bottom and mail it in.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:44 AM

6,472 posts, read 14,858,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Why is this so hard?

Here is the link, not that other spam^^^:

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/resources...tformfinal.pdf

Be sure to blacken all three blocks at the bottom and mail it in.
I always get suspicious when I see a "newer" user posting stuff like this. You're right. The website I posted was also the FTC.gov link. There's also a link on the site to get your credit report online, as well.

But notice the question "Credit score?" What the government guarantees is free copies of your credit report.

BTW to Las Vegas Drunk, I am a third-party consumer of credit reports since I do them for my "rentals." I'm pretty careful and the company I use requires I have a security controls in place to safeguard the applicant's information, but it doesn't even come CLOSE to the security in place at the official credit reporting agencies.

By law, anyone OTHER than Equifax, Experian or Transunion (EET) who provides third-party credit information must have your SSN and SIGNATURE. You must be really drunk if you want to give your SSN to just anyone. How do you know they're not faxing it to their Cousin Vinny? How do you know that their employees have background checks and are trustworthy? .

So now you just gave your SSN and your SIGNATURE, and personal information to an entity not sanctioned by credit issuers OR the government...on the internet.

For a "free" credit score? They should pay YOU Usually criminals have to try pretty hard to get so much valuable data!

Even if they're not criminals, it could simply be that there's more opportunity for a mistake to happen because you just added a "middle man" Why risk it?

I used to work for a credit card issuer, so I'm kind of sensitive to fraud and abuse. I just wanted to make sure I listed the correct information so I can hopefully prevent someone from getting into trouble.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:19 PM

11,501 posts, read 14,032,027 times
The only and safe way to get your credit SCORE is to go direct to Myfico and get it.

Most third parties give you a fako, a fake score and charge you for it and then sell your info off to others.

Go to Myfico and purchase your real scores.

Anything free has a catch and is not your real scores.

Do not confuse credit reports and credit scores.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:22 PM

8,536 posts, read 6,677,048 times
Can't you get it from your bank or CEFCU?

Old 01-11-2011, 08:38 PM

11,501 posts, read 14,032,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nan5623 View Post
Can't you get it from your bank or CEFCU?
You would have to apply for a loan to get it and in most cases they wont share with you the score.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics