Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 01:26 PM

111 posts, read 295,397 times

Advertisements

Wait, doesn't everybody want to be rich? Oh ok, gotcha. Think again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 01:38 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
The sky is falling, the sky is falling!

After 3 years of waiting for the economic apocalypse to come true as the doomers predicted, one must wonder if any even feel ashamed that is hasn't happened. I don't feel too bad, doomers are a great gauge of what not to do...which has made me a damn fine investment return. It also benefits the misanthrope in me to watch them get fleeced by these web****es that hawk all this crap at them.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:44 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,378,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerksticks View Post
Wait, doesn't everybody want to be rich? Oh ok, gotcha. Think again.
No, in the Robin Hood economy, the rich are bad, bad people and the poor should steal from them...

Last week, our local paper included a story about Reverend Tim Jones of the Church of St. Lawrence in York, England, who recently delivered a Robin Hood-like sermon “telling his congregation that it is sometimes acceptable for desperate people to shoplift.”

While Reverend Jones’ remarks drew an immediate “retraction” from the Church of England, it wasn’t his “recommendation” that got my attention, but rather its specific caveat -- that desperate members of the congregation limit their shoplifting to “large national chain stores, rather than small, family businesses.”

2010: The Robin Hood Economy | Business & Markets | Minyanville.com

Old 01-25-2011, 05:50 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Right... Let's all blame those bad rich people, the owners of all the companies/capital that make profits to create jobs, pay employee benefits, and grow the economy. JUST TAX THE RICH as how could it ever affect their desire/ability to create new businesses and jobs in the U.S.?

I too am getting tired of these spams on a (supposedly) professional business forum. Perhaps they can start another forum for these doomsday people who love to blame the rich for all problems in the world.
Please look up the definition of "spam." Posters with whom you disagree are not posting "spam," they are posting their viewpoints and also links to articles they are reading.

Also, no one has defined the business forum as necessarily "professional." It seems to have grown to include "Economy." Judging by our posts, very few posters are professional in a particular field of business or economics. If they are, they might identify themselves as such so the rest of us know we are hearing from a "Professional."

Old 01-25-2011, 09:25 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
Viewpoints? Where exactly do you see Spamwad's viewpoints in this thread? That is much of what makes it spam, the inability to offer anything more than a cut and paste, the inability to state or defend his interpretation.

I submit the majority of the original content offered by SpamWad has been him dismissing complaints about his mindless doomsday headline regurgitations, not about any subject matter he's posted about.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:55 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
I'm still waiting for the "too big to fail" banks to fail.

From Spamwad's spam spamtacular:

//www.city-data.com/forum/busin...-collapse.html

Old 01-26-2011, 04:13 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
i don't see a collapse, but i certainly see stagflation now. as great britain goes, so goes the US for the most part and we are certainly in that phase.

it should be interesting to see what happens in the next year because we have obama touting this "economic recovery", yet there will likely be a need for QE3 before the next election. marc faber (always interesting) predicts that if there is a 10 to 20 percent stock market drop then QE3 will be implemented.

it cannot be denied that america has entered some hard times for the working poor, with rising unemployment, increasing use of food stamps, decreasing home values, tightened credit, increased bankruptcy filing, and people getting kicked off of unemployment after the time limit.

wall street is not the same as main street.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:35 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
13. Tightwad gets a job. It doesn't happen

Old 01-26-2011, 07:51 AM

1,343 posts, read 2,671,622 times
Bottom line is the: the finical system is shady. It is flawed at times as proven the last few years. As an stock investors, I look for opportunties to grow wealth, buy low and sell high. There is nothing we can do to combat the flaws in our system. Ride the wave!!

Old 01-26-2011, 07:51 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i don't see a collapse, but i certainly see stagflation now. as great britain goes, so goes the US for the most part and we are certainly in that phase.
Way too early for stagflation. It took about 10-12 years for spending on the Apollo Program, Vietnam and the Grotesque Society to wend its way into the system. It isn't the amount of money the government pumps into the system, it's the amount of money in relation to the budget and the national deficit. QE1 and QE2 were nothing in the grand scheme of things.

QE3 won't have an impact either. It'll be 9-10 years before you see hints of real serious inflation, and another 2-3 years before it makes you want to jump off a 23-story building.

Quote:
it should be interesting to see what happens in the next year because we have obama touting this "economic recovery", yet there will likely be a need for QE3 before the next election. marc faber (always interesting) predicts that if there is a 10 to 20 percent stock market drop then QE3 will be implemented.
Shouldn't underestimate the negative impact on fuel prices, or the impact of Cost Inflation caused by shortages of key commodities. I agree that there'll be a QE3 and more spending for Snuffalufagus-Ready jobs.

Quote:
it cannot be denied that america has entered some hard times for the working poor, with rising unemployment, increasing use of food stamps, decreasing home values, tightened credit, increased bankruptcy filing, and people getting kicked off of unemployment after the time limit.
In all fairness, the employers only pay premiums to cover 13 weeks at State and 13 weeks pseudo-Federal for a total of 26 weeks. After that, they're on the tax-payer's dime.

Everyone has the right to work, but no one has a right to a job, or even a guarantee for a job.

There aren't any jobs, so I shouldn't be subsidizing them to sit on their butts. They need to make wholesale adjustments to their life-style, and if that means canceling the cable/satellite, cell-phone contract, internet and quit renting movies from Netflix, then, oh well, I'm really sorry about their luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics