Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2011, 11:21 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times

Advertisements

Hasnt happened yet but it will be something that will be happening eventually,what do i need to know when this scenario arises, what are the tax liabilities and cross border paperwork that would need to be completed when i sell the house?
I'm in Quebec,parents are in Hernando county Fla.
I realize there is no good time to talk about the passing of ones parents but i'd like to be prepared and avoid the possibility of the house sitting abandoned for years while i'm up in Canada caught up in a bureaucratic jungle of paperwork.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 11:40 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Avoid the bureaucratic jungle altogether.

Do you or your folks have any friends state-side? When you inherit the property (assuming it is owned outright, no mortgages or liens), and is transferred to you via probate in Florida, just execute a quit-claim deed to a trusted friend in the states. Hire a local attorney in Florida if you don't have friends you trust (or even if you do). Put the property up for sale (if anything in Florida is selling by then). After the sale, give the friend or attorney enough to cover any income taxes they may have incurred, and then have them cut a check to you for the balance.

Go back to Canada with the check. End of the matter.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:52 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,774 times
Would it be easier if his parents put him on the deed now?

Old 01-26-2011, 11:52 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
There is a brother who lives near Mom and Dad and a Sister who lives in Toronto,they will also be part of the ensuing paperwork jungle.
Nor'Eastah your plan sounds like i sign the house over to some one else then have them sell it and give me the money,sounds easy enough maybe my brother could play a role in fact i'll suggest Mom and Dad put in their will that my brother should get the deed to the house with the understanding that house's fair market value will be split 3 ways , however there is still the question of inheritance taxes on the sudden financial windfall i would receive, would those taxes have to be paid to the US and Canada?

Old 02-01-2011, 12:54 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
The taxes would not even be due unless the house value (your portion of it) exceeded something like $500,000 USD. I recalled my own parents' home in New England here, to be shared by myself and my brother. Because we all lived in different states (me in RI, my brother in MA, and the house in CT), the attorney just cut a check to each of us for some $80,000 and we each took the $$$ back home, no taxes due. If either my brother or I lived in CT, we would have had to pay CT income taxes, but we didn't. The checks were free and clear.

I don't know the size of the "sudden financial windfall" you expect to receive, but if it's just from the house, you won't get enough from a 3-way split to pay any US taxes. I just don't think this whole thing is going to cost you a nickel, unless your folks have some really serious dough in addition to the house. I would keep mum on the subject, and just engage a good attorney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics