U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2011, 01:41 PM

4,023 posts, read 6,855,097 times

Advertisements

Economists are more optimistic about the recovery than they were just a few months ago, significantly upgrading their forecasts for 2011 as consumers open their wallets.
When asked to predict, nine of 10 economists said they're more optimistic than three months ago, according to a USA TODAY survey of 46 economists conducted Jan. 13-19.

JOBS: Hiring plans top layoffs by most in 12 years, poll says
RECOVERY WATCH: Tracking the economy
JOBS OUTLOOK: Latest data for all states, 384 metros

They expect the economy to grow at an annual rate of 3.2% to 3.4% each quarter this year. That's up from quarterly median forecasts of 2.5% to 3.3% in an October survey.
"This growth is now becoming self-reinforcing," says Mark Zandi, chief economist of Moody's Analytics. "Businesses are going to take their stronger sales and begin to hire more aggressively, generate more income, and we're off and running."
Zandi expects the economy to grow 4.4% this year. That's better than last year's estimated 3% growth, but well short of the 5% to 7% expansion that followed previous severe recessions.

Economists forecast U.S. growth on upswing in 2011 - USATODAY.com
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 03:10 AM

48,507 posts, read 90,450,042 times
Moody's. Isn't that the people who rated all those houisng loans?

Old 01-31-2011, 07:00 AM

5,571 posts, read 10,583,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Moody's. Isn't that the people who rated all those houisng loans?
Among others, but yeeessss.

That was pretty much my thoughts, exactly.

I'll give this prediction a AAA rating.

Along with the End of the world Astrology/Horoscope one.

That one was definitely a AAA.

Seems when you come full circle on the Doomers and "Optimists" (or whatever the title) you pretty much have the same thing, huh?

Old 01-31-2011, 09:30 PM

5,730 posts, read 9,377,492 times
These the same people (Type) who discount Food and energy in the inflation rate....

Old 02-01-2011, 01:23 AM

4,767 posts, read 3,376,276 times
Had he posted the link with the title "All our economic problems are over, we'll all soon be rich and we'll never have another downturn again!", then it would be comparable to the doomsayer threads.

A growth rate of 3.2-3.4% is hardly overly optimistic, given the depth of the recent recession.

What surprises me is how prepared everyone is to give up on The United States as a lost cause. No hope whatsoever. We are our own worst enemies!

Old 02-01-2011, 01:30 AM

5,778 posts, read 10,288,743 times
It could come in at 5% growth and there will be plenty of naysayers still complaining about something happening in the past or how unemployment still isn't where it was in 2007. For the next ten years no matter how well financially banks do there will be plenty of people who complain they did it because they were bailed out. If housing prices turn upward and stay there will be plenty to complain but I bought my house in 2006 and I'm still not even.

Most people with the loudest voices these days never let actual numbers get in the way of their arguments.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:17 AM

5,571 posts, read 10,583,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
Had he posted the link with the title "All our economic problems are over, we'll all soon be rich and we'll never have another downturn again!", then it would be comparable to the doomsayer threads.

A growth rate of 3.2-3.4% is hardly overly optimistic, given the depth of the recent recession.

What surprises me is how prepared everyone is to give up on The United States as a lost cause. No hope whatsoever. We are our own worst enemies!
I think maybe you misunderstand some of this?

Not all of what folks call bad numbers are bad things. At least from my point of view, and I think many others?

If the US becomes too broke to be involved in some hundred countries with military and corporate meddling . . . GOOD!

If McMansions and their builders become too broke to ever build another of the gawd-awful energy hawg eye-sores -- and the existing become a Tail-Fin Edsel memento to this era's stupidity . . . . GOOD!

When Corporate Banks that try to charge folks 30%+ interest go broke . . . . GOOD!

If rolling phallus road mobiles cannot be started because gas is over $5.00 . . . GOOD!

It is not that any of this is against the US. It is just the end of era, that will not end until it is finally flat broke, having spent all of its own resources, indebted its children, and killed and stolen whatever it can from around the world. And when that is done and over . . . GOOD!

Then. Then. Then perhaps we can return to taking care of US. Taking care of our children. Taking care of our resources. And being a good neighbor in a wider world.

But the current Corporate era is going to have to die, first.

So Burn, Baby, Burn.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:27 AM

8,265 posts, read 11,426,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
I think maybe you misunderstand some of this?

Not all of what folks call bad numbers are bad things. At least from my point of view, and I think many others?
I think Shaker was referring to the more determined doom types.

There are some who insist things aren't any better right now than a year ago, things aren't improving, who will insist we are currently in a depression.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:26 AM

4,023 posts, read 6,855,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
It could come in at 5% growth and there will be plenty of naysayers still complaining about something happening in the past or how unemployment still isn't where it was in 2007. For the next ten years no matter how well financially banks do there will be plenty of people who complain they did it because they were bailed out. If housing prices turn upward and stay there will be plenty to complain but I bought my house in 2006 and I'm still not even.

Most people with the loudest voices these days never let actual numbers get in the way of their arguments.
YOU'RE RIGHT
Shame on you naysayers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics