Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 09:21 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,078,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maschuette View Post
Yes that is the topic, and you havent given any number on small businesses that are effected by the corporate tax code.
Because this number isn't published. Its not enough to look at businesses that have incorporated, because a corporation that files sub-chapter S won't file as a corporation. Furthermore, even if they file as a c-corp the need to earnings to be effected by the rates.

Anyhow, I looked at the IRS stats and it just confirms what I said. There are around 5.8 million corp tax returns, but around 4 million are s-corps, so that leaves 1.8 million. There are around 3 million returns for Partnerships, LLCs, etc and there are 22 million returns for sole props. From this its pretty easy to conclude that the vast majority of small businesses aren't c-corps and hence aren't effected by the corporate tax code.

Lastly, never did I suggest there are no small businesses that are c-corps, just that the vast majority aren't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Several people were killed in the Greek "protest" and windows and such were smashed in britian when the Government said they were increasing college tutition.
Yes because some people were killed from a fire in a Greek protest Europe is now in turmoil, that would be about as accurate as claiming that the US is in turmoil because someone shot a US congress woman. And smashed windows? Oh no!.

But yes violent protesting doesn't occur in the US:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCnHgrB-lhA

Old 01-31-2011, 11:49 PM

750 posts, read 1,445,503 times
My hat is off to you User_ id you were right in every post. People do not get it jobs go overseas for 2 main reasons. High wages engineer in Boston 100k or 25k in India? Bye Bye job it is that simple. Health EPA workers comp the list keeps going. Go overseas have almost no regs at all. Tax loop holes and overseas tax havens they almost never pay corporate taxes any way. As you point out very well small business does not pay corporate tax rates. They could lower the tax rate to 0. It would not matter they would still send jobs overseas.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:18 AM

764 posts, read 1,556,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Because this number isn't published. Its not enough to look at businesses that have incorporated, because a corporation that files sub-chapter S won't file as a corporation. Furthermore, even if they file as a c-corp the need to earnings to be effected by the rates.

Anyhow, I looked at the IRS stats and it just confirms what I said. There are around 5.8 million corp tax returns, but around 4 million are s-corps, so that leaves 1.8 million. There are around 3 million returns for Partnerships, LLCs, etc and there are 22 million returns for sole props. From this its pretty easy to conclude that the vast majority of small businesses aren't c-corps and hence aren't effected by the corporate tax code.

Lastly, never did I suggest there are no small businesses that are c-corps, just that the vast majority aren't.
Who cares what the vast majority are, i care about the effects on the economy and the corporate tax rates effect the largest aspect of that. Who cares if there are 22 million sole props when the average sole prop earns a net income of 5K a year. That isnt the issue. You said that you could count on one hand the number of small businesses that are c-corps. I said you were wrong, and now you are retracting your statement by trying to turn it around.

You never admit when you are wrong but it is easy for me to tell when you know you are. What gives it away is when you diverge from the topic and start nit picking small details of what i said. For instance: i said Europe was in turmoil because of their policies and you deny (as ususal) and then argue on what basis i call it a turmoil (nit picking details). Then you entirely diverge from the arguement by bringing up US conflicts.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Who cares what the vast majority are, i care about the effects on the economy and the corporate tax rates effect the largest aspect of that. Who cares if there are 22 million sole props when the average sole prop earns a net income of 5K a year. That isnt the issue. You said that you could count on one hand the number of small businesses that are c-corps. I said you were wrong, and now you are retracting your statement by trying to turn it around.
My position has not changed. I said that there are few small businesses that are both c-corps and derive a significant profit from their operations and I'm still saying the same thing.

You claimed that changing the corporate tax code was important for small business, yet the vast majority of small businesses don't pay corporate taxes. Now you want to say its really the "big small businesses" that matter, the vast majority of small businesses don't matter. You've yet to explain how reducing the corporate tax rates would improve employment or increase business investment.

Now, you because you fail to follow the arguments you accuse me of "diverging". For example, it was rather obvious why I mentioned US conflicts. US protests very often involve property damage, they at times involve deaths as well. Yet, you're not suggesting the US is in turmoil. Its called a double standard.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
My position has not changed. I said that there are few small businesses that are both c-corps and derive a significant profit from their operations and I'm still saying the same thing.

You claimed that changing the corporate tax code was important for small business, yet the vast majority of small businesses don't pay corporate taxes. Now you want to say its really the "big small businesses" that matter, the vast majority of small businesses don't matter. You've yet to explain how reducing the corporate tax rates would improve employment or increase business investment.

Now, you because you fail to follow the arguments you accuse me of "diverging". For example, it was rather obvious why I mentioned US conflicts. US protests very often involve property damage, they at times involve deaths as well. Yet, you're not suggesting the US is in turmoil. Its called a double standard.
I'm pro business, if it helps people in business then thats good. If it doesnt have an effect on certain businesses but does have a positive effect on other businesses then thats good. Do you disaggree that US businesses could use a leg up?

How will it improve things? It will lower the cost of doing business, which means there is more money to spend, invest, or grow. It will also keep businesses from going over seas who havent already. By decreasing their bottom line they are less likey to leave. Some may still, and it may not have an effect on companies that have already left, but if it helps some businesses in the US i dont see how it is a bad thing.

There are protest in America, like the Tea party, but i never heard of any deaths at those. Some protest become violent, but pointing at protest from two decades ago and saying, "nuh uh, look we do it too so why is it bad if they do it" is stupid and irrelevant.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
I'm pro business, if it helps people in business then thats good. If it doesnt have an effect on certain businesses but does have a positive effect on other businesses then thats good.
"Pro business" is almost always short for "pro corporate establishment". Large establishment corporates have much different interests than a lean start-ups, mom and pops, etc, different policies are going to benefit them as well. Lower corporate rates is going to reduce revenue and the burden will just shift to individuals and other businesses.

I'm pro competitive business environment, any policy that cuts taxes from one group but does nothing for another group will reduce competition.

Quote:
How will it improve things? It will lower the cost of doing business, which means there is more money to spend, invest, or grow. It will also keep businesses from going over seas who havent already. By decreasing their bottom line they are less likey to leave.
None of this makes sense. How will it lower the cost of doing business? Corporate taxes are paid on profits. Corporations can already spend pre-tax dollars on investments, growth, etc. A reduction in corporate rates is going to do little for companies "bottom lines", if they can't produce some widget in the US with a profit then it doesn't matter what the tax rate is, again corporate taxes are paid on profits.

Quote:
Some protest become violent, but pointing at protest from two decades ago and saying
The video I posted was from 2009, there were numerous cases of property damage from those protests. A US congress women was just shot in the head a few weeks ago.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:40 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,368,615 times

Old 02-02-2011, 06:41 AM

Quote:
"Pro business" is almost always short for "pro corporate establishment". Large establishment corporates have much different interests than a lean start-ups, mom and pops, etc, different policies are going to benefit them as well. Lower corporate rates is going to reduce revenue and the burden will just shift to individuals and other businesses.

I'm pro competitive business environment, any policy that cuts taxes from one group but does nothing for another group will reduce competition.

None of this makes sense. How will it lower the cost of doing business? Corporate taxes are paid on profits. Corporations can already spend pre-tax dollars on investments, growth, etc. A reduction in corporate rates is going to do little for companies "bottom lines", if they can't produce some widget in the US with a profit then it doesn't matter what the tax rate is, again corporate taxes are paid on profits.

The video I posted was from 2009, there were numerous cases of property damage from those protests. A US congress women was just shot in the head a few weeks ago.
Thats right taxes are paid on profits, and the larger the taxes the more profits the government gets and the less profits the businesses get. If a business has to give 50% of their profits away then that effects everything they do. How do you not understand that?

Old 02-02-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Thats right taxes are paid on profits, and the larger the taxes the more profits the government gets and the less profits the businesses get. If a business has to give 50% of their profits away then that effects everything they do. How do you not understand that?
How does it effect everything they do? Whether the tax rate is 20% or 50% the business could be run the same way, any investments, etc are going to be paid before taxes and hence aren't effected by the tax rate. In fact, higher taxes will encourage more investment.

Anyhow, you are speaking as if businesses are taxed on their gross profit, but they aren't. Labor, investments, etc are all deductible expenses. After tax profit is usually paid out to shareholders, not used for the business. The business is going to make every effort to use pre-tax dollars for the business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics