Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 09:26 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,594,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillcountrywinefan View Post
Now what I had forgotten was that the guy with the Cisco CCIE I hired had spent some $50k on his education, training seminars and equipment over a period of several years as he progressed from his CCNA up to his CCIE Voice.

Those in IT who read this forum will know well how uncommon this certification is in the industry and the top dollar that this credential commands. But it doesn't come cheap.
CCIE isn't nearly as hard to study far as it used to be. These days you can simulate labs inside of gns3 using real router images.

Back in the early days (when ccie was a 2 day lab, circa 2000-2001) you have to purchase your own equipment to be able to do practice labs.

There is also now a lot of specialized training geared for CCIE available. These days I'd say even VCDx is more in demand, though CCIE is still a hot item.

However I can vouch that there are plenty of high tech cubicle type jobs that pay in excess of 100k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 09:55 PM

146 posts, read 323,631 times
100K, I think, a little while ago seemed like one of those magical benchmark numbers. Like being a millionaire. Well, both are fairly common nowadays.

In high COL areas like the Bay Area and NYC and Chicago, many consultants make close to, or over, 100K 3-6 years after college. Investment Banking related jobs easily clear 100K right out of college. Most software developers and engineers in their mid-to-late 20s at bellwether technology companies in Silicon Valley make well over 100K. 25 year old lawyers who graduate from top 30-40 schools earn over 100K. MBAs from top 30 schools in their late 20s easily clear 100K.

Glassdoor.com is a free website where people post their salary data. As with anything, take it with a grain of salt as there's really no validation to ensure respondents answer truthfully. However, being in the consulting field myself and having friends and contacts who work in finance and software, I can vouch for the site's directional accuracy in salary data.

Keep in mind that folks who make over 100K, which, as another poster pointed out, is a privilege only 6% of the population enjoys, live in areas where 100K is required to live comfortably.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:28 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,020,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloTraveler View Post
100K, I think, a little while ago seemed like one of those magical benchmark numbers. Like being a millionaire. Well, both are fairly common nowadays.

In high COL areas like the Bay Area and NYC and Chicago, many consultants make close to, or over, 100K 3-6 years after college. Investment Banking related jobs easily clear 100K right out of college. Most software developers and engineers in their mid-to-late 20s at bellwether technology companies in Silicon Valley make well over 100K. 25 year old lawyers who graduate from top 30-40 schools earn over 100K. MBAs from top 30 schools in their late 20s easily clear 100K.

Glassdoor.com is a free website where people post their salary data. As with anything, take it with a grain of salt as there's really no validation to ensure respondents answer truthfully. However, being in the consulting field myself and having friends and contacts who work in finance and software, I can vouch for the site's directional accuracy in salary data.

Keep in mind that folks who make over 100K, which, as another poster pointed out, is a privilege only 6% of the population enjoys, live in areas where 100K is required to live comfortably.
Those places you listed do require 100k plus though to live decent. Silicon Valley being one and it seems if you don't make at least 100k then you're doing it wrong there. 100k/yr in a high cost of living area really doesn't mean as much as making 100k in say Tulsa or Little Rock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics