Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 06:59 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,269,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
Nice try Jim. But No. Just because I wasn't there doesn't mean it didn't study things inside out from subjective and objective sources when I was studying business. And just because you live in that time does make more aware of everything that is going on around you. Especially if you never took a critical/big picture eye/look of the situation around you.
So your point completely fall flat there.
If you honestly believe you can understand a era or a culture by reading books then you still have more to learn than you can imagine, you can only experience life by living it. You will never know what it was like living in the 50's and 60' and that is a fact.
You live in a world with thousands of rules and regulations that did not exist in that era. You live in a world where you are under constant suspicion of wrongdoing, where the burden is on you to prove you are innocent, instead of it being assumed. You live in a world where your opinion is given to you by altered facts and statistics. In the 50's and 60's George Orwell’s 1984 was unrealistic science fiction, today you are living it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 07:22 AM

106,169 posts, read 108,140,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
If you honestly believe you can understand a era or a culture by reading books then you still have more to learn than you can imagine, you can only experience life by living it. You will never know what it was like living in the 50's and 60' and that is a fact.
You live in a world with thousands of rules and regulations that did not exist in that era. You live in a world where you are under constant suspicion of wrongdoing, where the burden is on you to prove you are innocent, instead of it being assumed. You live in a world where your opinion is given to you by altered facts and statistics. In the 50's and 60's George Orwell’s 1984 was unrealistic science fiction, today you are living it.
REALLY? i lost track how many times i was stopped and frisked in 60's and 70's for no reason at all other then i had long hair....
police ran amuck with almost limitless power..

Old 02-07-2011, 08:02 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,171,633 times
I'm sure blacks who lived in Alabama, Mississippi etc. in the 50s would be pretty entertained by this "You live in a world where you are under constant suspicion of wrongdoing, where the burden is on you to prove you are innocent, instead of it being assumed" talk.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:57 AM

42,579 posts, read 86,736,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
REALLY? i lost track how many times i was stopped and frisked in 60's and 70's for no reason at all other then i had long hair....
Police are still running amok with limitless power, but you just don't happen to be the target demographic any more, so you are not aware of it.

People who stand out, intentionally or otherwise, will always arouse suspicion. My wife and I are birdwatchers, and in the past decade, we have been pulled over by the police several times and asked what we had been looking at, after suspicious people phoned 911 to report us looking out of our car with binoculars. As recently as the 90's, there was a scandal in Volusia County, Florida, where the police automatically stopped every late model car driven by blacks, and confiscated their cash as suspected drug money, and most of them never got their money back, including an off-duty Miami police detective.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
That’s what cops do, they target young people. It is the same now, only if they want to, they can charge you with being a suspected terrorist, and hold you in jail without trial as long as they want. They recently shot a guy in LA for sitting on his front porch playing with a water hose, and sodomized a guy in NY for locking his girlfriend out of his apartment.
You should be old enough to remember when if you bought an airline ticket you were treated like royalty, today it is more like you are a refugee being forced to submit to bodily searches. Any type of public event requires the search of your personal belongings. The level of paranoia now compared to 40 or 50 years ago is astronomical.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:44 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,492,959 times
Quote:
Let me just repeat myself again. And really look at the bolded area.

Quote:
Nice try Jim. But No. Just because I wasn't there doesn't mean it didn't study things inside out from subjective and objective sources when I was studying business. And just because you live in that time does make more aware of everything that is going on around you. Especially if you never took a critical/big picture eye/look of the situation around you.
So your point completely fall flat there.
And after your $500.00 jean and every kid in America has an Iphone comments just proves my point on this. Alot of folks say they experience certain things but that just personal perspective (subjective.) This should be taken into account when doing research but also the object should as well. This takes out a bit of the distortion that personal memories/perspectives produce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
$500 jeans was nothing but an exaggeration and should be seen as such, and a mature discussion w9uld move on and address the salient points.
Quote:
A good definition of ignorance is to make assumptions of something you have no personal knowledge of. Sorry but I have to call you on this one. In the 50's and 60's you did not have kids wearing $500 jeans $150 tennis shoes and sporting $400 Iphones. Today it is common place. There has never been a more materialistic generation in history than the one that is coming online now.
Quote:
If you had a teenage girl believe me, you would know. You would be hearing about how all the other girls in school are wearing them and how much peer pressure their is on your kids to fit in. But I suppose that is not being materialistic.

No. jtur88. Jim was not exaggerating. He actually believes that the majority of kids buy $500.00 jeans all the time. this is proved by a follow up comments he made. And by the fact that he as made no contraction or modification of his statement.

A New Study Says The Average American Spends Less Than 3% Of Her Disposable Income On Clothes: Slaves to Fashion: Fashion: glamour.com

This information is a little dated but....interesting.

Where Does the Money Go?

Household Expenditures on Apparel by Age and Gender, 2004

Old 02-07-2011, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Let me just repeat myself again. And really look at the bolded area.

And after your $500.00 jean and every kid in America has an Iphone comments just proves my point on this. Alot of folks say they experience certain things but that just personal perspective (subjective.) This should be taken into account when doing research but also the object should as well. This takes out a bit of the distortion that personal memories/perspectives produce.

No. jtur88. Jim was not exaggerating. He actually believes that the majority of kids buy $500.00 jeans all the time. this is proved by a follow up comments he made. And by the fact that he as made no contraction or modification of his statement.

A New Study Says The Average American Spends Less Than 3% Of Her Disposable Income On Clothes: Slaves to Fashion: Fashion: glamour.com

This information is a little dated but....interesting.

Where Does the Money Go?

Household Expenditures on Apparel by Age and Gender, 2004
My mistake, it is clear that the concept of $500 jeans is more than you can conceive. Perhaps it is some huge sum of money where you come from. I will try in the future to keep my monetary figures to an amount that the Wal-Mart crowd can relate to.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:02 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,879,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Sure it is. You are saying it is my money to spend as I please as long as I live in the US, otherwise it isn't. That is certainly regulating how I spend it, you are basing what I can spend on what geographical location I reside.
maybe i wasn't clear on what i would suggest. in this hypothetical discussion, the money you have earned you can spend wherever you choose. (of course, many americans would be pleased if the money was spent here as it improves our economy.) there is no issue with how you spend the money you have earned and paid into social security.

this discussion is about what happens when you have spent all your money and wish the american taxpayers to continue funding your lifestyle in another country. there might be some people who would object to this use of our dwindling social security resources.

back to "how good we had it"- i still assert that it is very likely that, unless we change course, the next generation is going to have it a LOT HARDER for reasons that i feel are expressed nicely by the london banker blog:

With credit, oil and food markets spiralling out of reach of the poor and straining the middle-class, it is worth exploring whether similar policies underpin similar problems. In each industry, a small handful of global companies control supply and a massive increase in ill-transparent speculation acting on pricing in exchange markets forces prices up regardless of the fundamentals of supply and demand. The risks for famine and political instability are huge. One doesn’t need to be a conspiracy theorist invoking the Trilateral Commission to feel that something is very wrong with policies leading to simultaneous crises in credit, oil and food that threaten not just the wealth but the wellbeing of most of the world’s population. . .

i loved his ending sentence:

I can write, you can read, but who will change the world?

Last edited by floridasandy; 02-07-2011 at 05:11 PM..

Old 02-07-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
My mistake, it is clear that the concept of $500 jeans is more than you can conceive. Perhaps it is some huge sum of money where you come from. I will try in the future to keep my monetary figures to an amount that the Wal-Mart crowd can relate to.
Now this is funny, following statistics and graphs brought forth (along with personal experience of various posters from expensive locations) you are just going to cling to your absurd implication that the kids these days wear $500 jeans.

Then topping it off with a feeble dig that he is somehow a lower class because he doesn't discounts you claim.

Pathetic.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
maybe i wasn't clear on what i would suggest. in this hypothetical discussion, the money you have earned you can spend wherever you choose.
this discussion is about what happens when you have spent all your money and wish the american taxpayers to continue funding your lifestyle in another country.
Well there is a disconnect here because there is no limit on social security, I don't understand where you are getting "spent all your money" it isn't my money from some account that has a total amount in it that I'm drawing against. You pay a tax based on your salary, and you get a defined benefit based on age and average salary. You can't "spend all" of anything.

Furthermore dictating which country I fund my lifestyle is indeed limiting choices on how I spend my money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics