Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 10:10 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,553,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Why would she want to get far in the business world, when she had a household to run and kids to raise and a husband who earned enough to buy everything a family needed for a quality life style and pride and dignity? And send me to a state university where the full tuition fee was $35 a semester? Or free, if it had been in pre-Reagan California.

If it's not the point, why the hell did you bring it up in the first place?
Oh boy! I have a suggestion. Get away from that computer, run a mile, maybe kick a tree (not too hard though), and then come back and read the email when I mentioned the Tea Party as an example. If you still have a problem. Maybe ask jambo 101. He seems to get the point I was trying to make. He cited the democrats as an example. Is that more palatable to you? Maybe you need to do some exercise and get more oxigen into the brain. Too much time in the computer can atrophy logic processes, take care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 10:51 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
Quote:
Why would she want to get far in the business world, when she had a household to run and kids to raise
Wow. Just... wow.

I'm surprised they started letting women vote too I guess, I mean the men folk handled voting just fine and the women had vacuuming and dusting to do, why would they want to vote since politics was icky men stuff anyway.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:32 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,378,188 times
Quote:
Why would she want to get far in the business world, when she had a household to run and kids to raise and a husband who earned enough to buy everything a family needed for a quality life style and pride and dignity?
Quote:
Most black men did not want to sit next to you at the lunch counter, and now that they can, most still do not want to. Most blacks, invited to join he mainstream culture, refused and now think it an insensitive insult if you suggest that they might.
Poor guy... yearning for the good ol days when everyone knew their rightful place in society and all businesses were run by white men...

Old 02-01-2011, 12:39 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Reading the life and times of the Thunderbolt Kid by Bill Bryson. early in the book he reminisces about how it was in the 50's

It goes on but you get the idea.
We were in the promised land and for some reason we let it get away.
Well, not everyone has such fond memories of that era. My parents struggled during the 1950s. They did not have the "American Dream" lifestyle because they did not want to be sheeple. So they fought and sometimes went hungry, but when they woke up in the morning they did not have to deal with the inane 9 - 5 lifestyle that typified the world back then (and still does today).

In today's society you are much more free to define your own lifestyle. You can work from home, you can work online, you can live a frugal-spartan lifestyle, and most people are not judgmental. Back in the 1950s people who did not play the "game" were outcasts and considered 'weirdos" and relegated to the fringes of society.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-01-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Well, not everyone has such fond memories of that era. My parents struggled during the 1950s. They did not have the "American Dream" lifestyle because they did not want to be sheeple. So they fought and sometimes went hungry, but when they woke up in the morning they did not have to deal with the inane 9 - 5 lifestyle that typified the world back then (and still does today).

In today's society you are much more free to define your own lifestyle. You can work from home, you can work online, you can live a frugal-spartan lifestyle, and most people are not judgmental. Back in the 1950s people who did not play the "game" were outcasts and considered 'weirdos" and relegated to the fringes of society.

20yrsinBranson
I am currently reading a book entitled 'The Way We Never Were". It does cover a lot myths about life in the 50s from dating, marriage, divorce, sex, family structure, etc. It is very good reference. Jtur88 seems to have lived this myth in his house. He may have had the life he claims. I am sure that happened but he gives his family as the standard of how people lived in that era. The big picture is that many families did struggle to make it more than what is romanticized, take care.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:03 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,915,303 times
The ironic thing in all this conversation is, THe American people have all the power.
We have the power, not the corporations.
No, not as much as voting, but with money. Think about it.
Corporations answer to someone, right? THe stockholders.
If you really want jobs and goods made right here in the USA,
demand it. Tell everyone you know to stop buying as much period.
Only neccesities, and demand products made in USA. For example,
The shrimp fisherman in South Carolina are now a dying occupation.
Cheap, unhealthy, farm raised with hormones, Thialand shrimp is putting
the fisherman out of business. They can't compete with the gas prices
and the wild fresh shrimp they catch. (some days they can't find them).
If people went into restraunts down in South Carolina and asked for the
fresh wild South Carolina shrimp only, the fishermen would be busy again.
But no, consumers are more concerned about saving a buck and buying
a lower quality product.
We do this to ourselves, and then we complain.
Shop locally people. Support the little guy and pay a couple dollars more, like a farmers market.
We will have to start making things again, people need jobs.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:10 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
You're right, it was Floridasandy, not Elamigo who introduced the tea party into the thread. My apologies.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
You're right, it was Floridasandy, not Elamigo who introduced the tea party into the thread. My apologies.
I praise your admission. However, she may have introduced it but I will say this. When I mentioned the Tea Party as an example I actually was reading her message and writing as I was going down the line on her message. I did happen to mention them as an example, not so much to agree with their agenda. At the end I realized she had mentioned the Tea Party but to me that was irrelevant to the point I was talking about, take care.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:36 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
The big picture is that many families did struggle to make it more than what is romanticized, take care.
No families are struggling anymore, thanks to the post-'50s miracle. Is that what you're saying?

Last edited by jtur88; 02-01-2011 at 01:50 PM..

Old 02-01-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
No families are struggling anymore, thanks to the post-'50s miracle..
Here you go again. It reminds me of the thread a while ago where the topic was the rescue of the people taken hostage from a cruise boats. I remember you made the same type of sarcastic remark. Saying something now that the world is safe now. I replied I never said such thing but you made a remark without looking at the whole picture.

Now, did I ever say families are not struggling anymore? No, not at all. The point was that the 50s were not as romanticized.

Let me make easier on you. I will paste so you can read it again and show you the whole picture, OK? It seems that with you I have to break it down.

I wrote:
The big picture is that many families did struggle to make it more than what is romanticized,

1. People did struggle.
2. more than it is romanticized.

Do any of these part say no more stuggling now? No.

Do not read more than what is there. You know what they say about the word ASSUME? The reason I say this is because you seem to assume to much on what is written, at least what I have written in the past since you seem to be making the same types of remarks.

Makes an ASS of U and Me, take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics