Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2011, 05:55 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,196,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
in totally different forums on totally different subjects, as if they had any relevance in this one.
Curious are you talking about the time you dropped an unrelated quote all the way from the travel forum to the economics forum as a feeble attempt to attack a poster?

//www.city-data.com/forum/busin...l#post16656456
Quote:
This from the poster who thinks Kazakhstan is in Europe.
Is that what you mean? That one was kinda funny because Kazakhstan did prove in fact to be in Europe, but it was a cute little jab you tried. I'm not sure how it gives you much room to wail about cross forum quoting but hey have at it, the victim role suits you well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 05:57 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
I love how workaholics claim ownership over the concept of work ethic. Get off it, workaholism is a american cultural mindset seated in materialism. If somebody told you could work 50% less at work for a 25% reduction in lifestyle most wouldn't take it, as people in America are living on 110% of their income. But I would. And believe me we overstate the living conditions of an America that rejected hyper-productivity. We wouldn't be Congo, we would be alright. As it is we're diverging socio-economically in terms of wages and experience, guilded age in the making again, so this too is going to be moot in two decades if we dont' change course.

The real problem is that such choice of dialing back is NOT given in America. For me to suggest a 50% reduction of productivity to my employer would constitute a 100% reduction in my income. There is no middle ground in America. Most employment in America that allows such vocational liberties, pay squat even at 100% expected participation (i.e. department store clerk work), so the point is moot at those compensation levels.

For a sector of the economy that whines all the day about the lack of work ethic in this country, they sure like to act aloof at the concept of UNDEREMPLOYMENT, which is the real nasty overarching theme to our present economic condition. Bunch of technically trained people doing jobs for 45K with layoffs every five years. That's where your "coddling" comes from; nobody late Gen X and younger considered that ROI a proper opportunity cost for going through the college racket. Go ahead and shrug your shoulders, watch everybody decide to sit on their hands or torch the streets in lieu of going to work for peanuts [read: UK 'yobism'] , just so that some workaholic can feel better about himself no less, and watch this country turn into economic-polarized Brazil. You're gonna love going to the mall on the weekends among the collective riff raff then, with the have, have-not dynamics.

Didn't ya listen to Office Space (such formative gospel for me)? "That makes a man work JUST hard enough not to get fired". no extra cookies for missing out on the non-economic valuations of my life that are not tied to my vocation.

Americans need to work smarter not harder.....
Ah, the battle cry of the guy who wants to justify his laziness...

"You all just work hard because you're materialistic jerks!"

Old 02-13-2011, 06:03 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
It seems like I am the only one motivated to work and work overtime, including doing side businsess for future financial goals.

People just seem to only do Overtime when its needed but don't do it for the future needs. A lot of them don't trust the stock market and/or don't even know what 401K is.

Also, I am ALWAYS positive in my work and general in life but people think I am on drugs because I am always positive.

Any comments and suggestions?
I work hard at my job when I'm there, but I resent being asked to work OT. Why? Because you can give and give and give to a company and they either just want more and more or they will ********* over at the first opportunity. So the question I asked myself was...why am I doing this? My last company was taking over my life and we were told we should be "grateful" to have an uninterrupted weekend.

I don't mind doing a bit of OT for a really important project and if I know that I'll be rewarded for it in some way shape or form...not necessarily financially, but with time in lieu for example. But after so many years in I.T. and having had so much of my personal time stolen from me, I'm done with it.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:21 PM

106,644 posts, read 108,790,719 times
Quote:
Doesn't sound funny to me. A 40 hour week comes out to 100,000 hours in a lifetime. At $10 an hour, lifetime wages come out to a cool million.

I'm living now comfortably on less than $1,000 a month in my retirement. That's let's say $5 an hour to maintain that lifestyle. So if I had worked all my life at $15 an hour, I could have lived like I do now, and saved up a million dollars to show you.

$15 an hour doesn't sound like an over-challenging average wage for somebody of normal diligence. Many people do that, and they choose not to be millionaires, but to spend nearly all they make, instead. Others, like me, just chose not work for other people to earn it in the first place, having better things to do with the only time we get on this earth.

You're showing your age if you still think a million dollars is a lot of money.
earning a million dollars in a life time and having a million dollars in assets less your home are very different. your right ,a million dollars is not alot of money today. in fact from when i was a kid a the term millionaire would need 7 million today to equal the same lifestyle... the term millionaire really was not so much an amount of money but a vision of a lifestyle..

i guess your right though, anyone who wants to live the life of a dumpster diver can maybe earn a million dollars and save it.

i guess if i didnt spend on life i could have maybe a cool 10 million or so by now.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:23 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times
Quote:
Hnsq's question was asked in the context of the progressiveness of the tax burden. My reply was couched in terms that would reflect the fact that the income tax is a great deal less progressive than the rich claim it is, because the principle is corrupted by the flat-tax on capital gains, an advantage primariily enjoyed by the upper class.

It doesn't matter if your figures are exactly correct or not (although they appear to be) in the context of the discussion. It remains true that most people demanding a flat tax already have it, largely, and the middle class tax break through the progressive bracketing is significantly diluted.

Hnsq asked for statistics, but at no time in my reply did I indicate that I was proffering such statistics. I simply, "for starters" steered the discussion to matters that had relevancy to what we were talking about. Unless you think that what I included in my reply was the "statistic" that Hsnq had asked for.

I find it amusing (nothing amazes me anymore) that so many people who are not "very rich" are so militantly in favor of a tax structure that primarily benefits the "very rich".
jtur - you have yet to back up your claim that the middle class suffer a heavier tax burden than the wealthy. Can you please explain how that is true, given the middle class are taxed a lower percentage than the wealthy, and that the exact same tax breaks are available to everyone?

Please at least try to back up what you said.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:24 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,196,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I work hard at my job when I'm there, but I resent being asked to work OT. Why? Because you can give and give and give to a company and they either just want more and more or they will ********* over at the first opportunity. So the question I asked myself was...why am I doing this? My last company was taking over my life and we were told we should be "grateful" to have an uninterrupted weekend.

I don't mind doing a bit of OT for a really important project and if I know that I'll be rewarded for it in some way shape or form...not necessarily financially, but with time in lieu for example. But after so many years in I.T. and having had so much of my personal time stolen from me, I'm done with it.
Perfect. Exactly 100% my feelings.

I'll give the extra in a pinch, but it certainly isn't going to be a lifelong situation.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:26 PM

2,505 posts, read 6,148,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post

Good point. Seems corporate/business mentality is all about profit. You are employed just to serve a purpose, and your personal life is sort of secondary, if you want to continue to work, you play by their rules.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:12 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
jtur - you have yet to back up your claim that the middle class suffer a heavier tax burden than the wealthy. Can you please explain how that is true, given the middle class are taxed a lower percentage than the wealthy, and that the exact same tax breaks are available to everyone?

Please at least try to back up what you said.
Where did I make that claim?

Why are there trolls who follow me around from forum to forum, demanding that I back up claims I never made?

Old 02-14-2011, 12:38 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,125,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Yes. Were you asking me a question there?
You seemed to think so up till now with all your smartassed comments. Here, let me put it in bold for you:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User
I was using the Economics term.

Opportunity cost - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
I understand the term. I've taken Macro, and I've read more than a few books on the subject.

I also started investing for retirement at the age of 14.

I simply do not understand how my time and resources could be better spent than what I outlined. (Excepting wasting time like posting here, but I'm taking breaks from reading some VERY boring Gov't documents)

Explain please.... (How my time/resources could be better spent, I've made the deans list each term, I take all the 'weekend certifications' I can cram, I take online FEMA courses, I'm taking online classes while doing my internship, and the business kicks off at the end of the month...)

Other than the recognized time waster online... (And it's too much) How could my $ and time resources be better spent?

I can't do the things which had me job offers of $750 a day anymore, and although I made $500 per day pulling hurricane security, that's not exactly steady. When degreed I'm looking at minimum $30 per hour, and if I'm doing consulting... a lot more than that!.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:54 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
After reading the post i would suggest your demeanor isnt as positive as you may think..
Quote:
It seems like I am the only one motivated to work and work overtime, including doing side businsess for future financial goals.

People just seem to only do Overtime when its needed but don't do it for the future needs. A lot of them don't trust the stock market and/or don't even know what 401K is.
Referring to the original post and subsequent post 107, After telling us how positive to a fault you are at the end of your post you start off the post by insinuating every one else is slacking off by not doing overtime,then go on to criticize other peoples views of their future and their perceptions of the stock market and 401k's..
Just didnt strike me as coming from some one who is positive all the time,
thus the comment in post 91.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics