Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2011, 08:43 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,808,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
earning a million dollars in a life time and having a million dollars in assets less your home are very different. your right ,a million dollars is not alot of money today. in fact from when i was a kid a the term millionaire would need 7 million today to equal the same lifestyle... the term millionaire really was not so much an amount of money but a vision of a lifestyle..

i guess your right though, anyone who wants to live the life of a dumpster diver can maybe earn a million dollars and save it.

i guess if i didnt spend on life i could have maybe a cool 10 million or so by now.
A Million is plenty today and this depends on how much you will withdraw each other retired. Don't forget you are also earning on that million in a safe haven. Have you been to Texas? Cost of living is very low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Oddly, it has been my experience that people who do less work get paid more.

Take, for instance, management. They often won't lift a finger to do any actual work themselves, but they'll tell you what YOU should be doing. While they sip their coffee and eat their donuts.
Comes with a lot of stress and they take it home too. Job is on the line, less security.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
If you want something, then EARN it, don't expect to have it handed to you on a silver platter because you have five kids and no husband.

By the way, my job is a physically demanding one. I work my butt off. That's why I'm not some fat desk jockey.
I don't understand why these singer mothers keep have kids and struggle and then complain.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
. . . but if you NEED something, just ask. You are one of us, and you will not be turned away, nor denied dignity for your shortcomings. That's the way civilized people are.
You are joking right? Ask for what? There is God to ask for.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:51 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Comes with a lot of stress and they take it home too. Job is on the line, less security.
No less secure than my job. Of course, I figure that as long as I'm one of the top performers, they won't get rid of me. And I am.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:58 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
. . . but if you NEED something, just ask. You are one of us, and you will not be turned away, nor denied dignity for your shortcomings. That's the way civilized people are.

Really? I've asked for things I've needed...but been rejected. People don't have the time or energy to spend on other people. So people can go screw off.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:59 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
Quote:
That's because America is an "entitlement" society. People think that they are OWED something...no matter how little they work. Some of us, though, still have a decent work ethic.
i don't know if we are agreeing or not. my comment was on illegal immigrants latching onto benefits designed for and paid for by working citizens..

i am glad that you have a good work ethic! think most americans have a good work ethic, most americans want to work, and most americans are willing to work. i think a good work ethic SHOULD be rewarded so i don't see any disagreement there.

certainly america should be a LAW ABIDING society where illegal behavior is definitely not rewarded. that is where our society seems to be getting lost lately.

people who engage in illegal behavior should reap NO rewards.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:05 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
It depends on the person.

It seems to me that the people that I know who work, generally work more than one job. Either with another employer or they do something on the side.

My landscaper for instance, is a foreman at a large manufacturer. He goes to the gym at 5 am every morning, usually works 8-10 hour shifts, and cuts lawns everyday after work and weekends during the spring and summer. He also does snow removal in the winter.

I don't know how he does it.

The people that are unemployed seem to be very unmotivated.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:20 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
i certainly agree that there are SOME people who are not motivated to work, and it certainly does not help that the government encourages a cycle of dependency. i don't see the point of people turning on each other when a lot of the problem lies with a rising population and a declining job situation.

you must admit, however,in our country there are high-paying construction and labor jobs that have completely disappeared.

the problem we have, though, is that with the growth of government and dependency we have reached a point where the workers cannot continue to fund the level of govenrment spending that the government wants to spend. we have a 3.7 TRILLION dollar budget proposal. that is simply not sustainable. the more the government takes, the more the private sector is damaged and the less the private sector can contribute to the government -so it is a cycle which would end in failure for the economy unless it is somehow reversed.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:30 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
No less secure than my job. Of course, I figure that as long as I'm one of the top performers, they won't get rid of me. And I am.

Quote:
Really? I've asked for things I've needed...but been rejected. People don't have the time or energy to spend on other people. So people can go screw off.
Maybe they think, since you're "one of the top performers" at your job, you can provide for yourself.

How do you define "top performers"? Better than most other people? What about the people that you are better than? What is to become of them, if they're not as good as you are, and have needs for which they lack the superior ability to provide for themselves?

Are you one of those people whose "decent work ethic" means that they "don't have the time or energy to spend on other people" who might need something? Are you proud of that? Does that make you a superior member of civilization?

Last edited by jtur88; 02-16-2011 at 09:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics