Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 06:29 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
This depends on your financial goal if you want to skip that overtime.
Not really, I'm currently a salaried employee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 07:01 PM

935 posts, read 2,411,588 times
Quote:
It seems like I am the only one motivated to work and work overtime, including doing side businsess for future financial goals.

People just seem to only do Overtime when its needed but don't do it for the future needs. A lot of them don't trust the stock market and/or don't even know what 401K is.

Also, I am ALWAYS positive in my work and general in life but people think I am on drugs because I am always positive.

Any comments and suggestions?
I love my job and I work quite a bit of overtime even though I don't always claim it at my current job. However, some people don't like their job and I can relate to that. I can relate to not wanting to stay at a place any longer than necessary. If you love your job, then there is nothing wrong with that. I think those who say it's impossible to love your job are depressing. I think it is possible, though you have to have the right job that suits your skills, priorities, etc. So, don't worry about their comments about being on drugs. Just hope that they find their own path one day.

I don't think it's the fact that people are lazy. I think it's more about priorities. Some people want to make a lot of money while others care more about friend-, family-, or personal time. Some are better at juggling their time than others. Some do not have enough work to keep them busy for overtime while others choose to do it tomorrow because of other priorities. Granted, I like working overtime on hourly wages, but it's more of a priority thing.

Even if they are lazy, and some are, then it's their loss. As far as the stock market and 401K, I think it's a mixture of ignorance and fear of risk. Some people are never taught about 401K, investing, etc. Some are never taught about a budget. It doesn't excuse them from learning about it, but next time someone seems a little clueless about it you could recommend a few informative sites.

As far as the stock market, I think that's a different thing. Some investors are telling people to keep their money out of the stock market if they cannot afford to lose it or if they plan on retiring in the next 5 years. The stock market isn't for everyone. If you have faith in it then go for it. However, each individual has their own way of saving money and making money. It's not necessarily the right way or the wrong way, but some prefer to put money in CD's rather than risk their money in the stock market. Especially with the pessimism going on in the news about future bubbles, hyperinflation, etc.

So, I guess the short answer is some people live their lives differently. It's not right or wrong, but if it makes them feel comfortable then fine. It might mean you are able to get ahead of the game and leave them behind.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:01 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times
Quote:

I understand the term. I've taken Macro, and I've read more than a few books on the subject.

I also started investing for retirement at the age of 14.

I simply do not understand how my time and resources could be better spent than what I outlined. (Excepting wasting time like posting here, but I'm taking breaks from reading some VERY boring Gov't documents)

Explain please.... (How my time/resources could be better spent, I've made the deans list each term, I take all the 'weekend certifications' I can cram, I take online FEMA courses, I'm taking online classes while doing my internship, and the business kicks off at the end of the month...)

Other than the recognized time waster online... (And it's too much) How could my $ and time resources be better spent?

I can't do the things which had me job offers of $750 a day anymore, and although I made $500 per day pulling hurricane security, that's not exactly steady. When degreed I'm looking at minimum $30 per hour, and if I'm doing consulting... a lot more than that!.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:11 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,808,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
My father told me this when I got my first job. "Always do the best you can to your ability no matter what task you are given. Take pride in what you do" So yes even when I had to scrub toilets in the restrooms at work they were spotless. I have always given any job I do 110% and usually with a smile on my face(although I doubt I was smiling while scrubbing toilets but I was most likely singing, lol). My goal is not materialism but to be debt free and have security.

I would say you are on the right track. Don't let the whiners get you down
Right, so you can have better job security and move up. You just have to live below or within your means and you won't have a debt issue.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Not really, I'm currently a salaried employee.
So you aren't getting paid extra unless you do a 2nd job.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:29 PM

If I am gonig to spend atleast 40 hours at work then I might as well enjoy it.

You still have to give up something and sacrifice to get something later and thats the Dave Ramsey way.

Money should be first priority and without the cash, you can't really do anything.

You can get all the friends, spend time with family once you reach your financial goals.

With Stocks, its a risk but not like Vegas gambling. You just have to study how it works but thats another subject.

Too bad high schools and colleges won't ever teach finance 101 but why should they? They want people to spend money and so does the credit card company.

If you are less then 5 years from retirement then you should not be in the stock market and/or 90% Bonds, 10% Stocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattwoman2 View Post
I love my job and I work quite a bit of overtime even though I don't always claim it at my current job. However, some people don't like their job and I can relate to that. I can relate to not wanting to stay at a place any longer than necessary. If you love your job, then there is nothing wrong with that. I think those who say it's impossible to love your job are depressing. I think it is possible, though you have to have the right job that suits your skills, priorities, etc. So, don't worry about their comments about being on drugs. Just hope that they find their own path one day.

I don't think it's the fact that people are lazy. I think it's more about priorities. Some people want to make a lot of money while others care more about friend-, family-, or personal time. Some are better at juggling their time than others. Some do not have enough work to keep them busy for overtime while others choose to do it tomorrow because of other priorities. Granted, I like working overtime on hourly wages, but it's more of a priority thing.

Even if they are lazy, and some are, then it's their loss. As far as the stock market and 401K, I think it's a mixture of ignorance and fear of risk. Some people are never taught about 401K, investing, etc. Some are never taught about a budget. It doesn't excuse them from learning about it, but next time someone seems a little clueless about it you could recommend a few informative sites.

As far as the stock market, I think that's a different thing. Some investors are telling people to keep their money out of the stock market if they cannot afford to lose it or if they plan on retiring in the next 5 years. The stock market isn't for everyone. If you have faith in it then go for it. However, each individual has their own way of saving money and making money. It's not necessarily the right way or the wrong way, but some prefer to put money in CD's rather than risk their money in the stock market. Especially with the pessimism going on in the news about future bubbles, hyperinflation, etc.

So, I guess the short answer is some people live their lives differently. It's not right or wrong, but if it makes them feel comfortable then fine. It might mean you are able to get ahead of the game and leave them behind.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:42 PM

Quote:

Money should be first priority and without the cash, you can't really do anything.

You can get all the friends, spend time with family once you reach your financial goals.
I used to think that, Until a buddy's brother in law was crushed when his firetruck rolled over on the way to a fire.

Closed Casket funeral at 31 or 33 (I forget)

So now I try to have a balance.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
I used to think that, Until a buddy's brother in law was crushed when his firetruck rolled over on the way to a fire.

Well, did he have life insurance? Why was this a Closed Casket? Well if you die, make sure you have beneficiaries.

You can't regret anything after you are dead and in heaven. Heaven is better.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post

Balance is great if you have it figured out. I would plan to live around 110.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Well, did he have life insurance? Why was this a Closed Casket? Well if you die, make sure you have beneficiaries.

You can't regret anything after you are dead and in heaven. Heaven is better.
It was a closed casket because the firetruck squished his head.

And yes, he had life insurance.

Doesn't do him much good....

Please respond to post 23...

Quote:
Balance is great if you have it figured out. I would plan to live around 110.
You continue to make cryptic, nonsensical posts.

What I am saying is, balance saving, with LIVING. Because we do not know how many heartbeats we have.

ETA: I'd bet wherever he is, he regrets not having more time to spend with his son.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics