U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-10-2011, 03:18 PM
 
12,671 posts, read 21,966,575 times
Reputation: 2644

Advertisements

It seems like I am the only one motivated to work and work overtime, including doing side businsess for future financial goals.

People just seem to only do Overtime when its needed but don't do it for the future needs. A lot of them don't trust the stock market and/or don't even know what 401K is.

Also, I am ALWAYS positive in my work and general in life but people think I am on drugs because I am always positive.

Any comments and suggestions?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-10-2011, 04:42 PM
 
Location: Eastern Washington
15,317 posts, read 48,969,315 times
Reputation: 14644
You have to remember half of the general population is below average in intellegence. If you work in a technical industry you don't interact with these people on the job, but they are out there.

Then you have to consider that many current 20-somethings have been coddled to death and have been led to believe they are all very "special" - what they don't seem to get is many of them are "special" but not in a good way...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2011, 04:44 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,661 posts, read 78,613,464 times
Reputation: 36332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
It seems like I am the only one motivated to work and work overtime, including doing side businsess for future financial goals.

People just seem to only do Overtime when its needed but don't do it for the future needs. A lot of them don't trust the stock market and/or don't even know what 401K is.

Also, I am ALWAYS positive in my work and general in life but people think I am on drugs because I am always positive.

Any comments and suggestions?
Yeah, get off the drugs.

Seriously, there is such a thing as a workaholic, who derives a great deal of personal pleasure and/or fulfillment from working, even if there is no monetary advantage to doing so. There are also others who wish to become as wealthy as possible, regardless of how diligently they need to work in order to acheive that goal. I'm not either of them, and I have difficulty understanding their mindset. Just as you apparently have a problem relating to mine. But there is a place for all of our personal varieties in the world, I hope.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2011, 05:04 PM
 
12,671 posts, read 21,966,575 times
Reputation: 2644
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
You have to remember half of the general population is below average in intellegence. If you work in a technical industry you don't interact with these people on the job, but they are out there.

Then you have to consider that many current 20-somethings have been coddled to death and have been led to believe they are all very "special" - what they don't seem to get is many of them are "special" but not in a good way...
Well, what about the United States? We have the best of the best here.
What about the jobs where you do interact with other employees?

Special in what sense?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2011, 05:06 PM
 
12,671 posts, read 21,966,575 times
Reputation: 2644
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Yeah, get off the drugs.

Seriously, there is such a thing as a workaholic, who derives a great deal of personal pleasure and/or fulfillment from working, even if there is no monetary advantage to doing so. There are also others who wish to become as wealthy as possible, regardless of how diligently they need to work in order to acheive that goal. I'm not either of them, and I have difficulty understanding their mindset. Just as you apparently have a problem relating to mine. But there is a place for all of our personal varieties in the world, I hope.
Maybe you are a hater lol

Workoholic folks are also successful. There are folks who like to earn money not because they need the money but to build a better future.

I love my job though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2011, 05:15 PM
 
5,730 posts, read 9,139,825 times
Reputation: 7981
People are lazy.

I'm back at a hourly job for the first time in years, 9- 10 hour days. (only a few days per week)

I could leave several hours earlier.

Getting paid by the hour makes me work more.

Most Americans just want to get by.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2011, 05:21 PM
 
1,822 posts, read 4,185,298 times
Reputation: 4921
I love how workaholics claim ownership over the concept of work ethic. Get off it, workaholism is a american cultural mindset seated in materialism. If somebody told you could work 50% less at work for a 25% reduction in lifestyle most wouldn't take it, as people in America are living on 110% of their income. But I would. And believe me we overstate the living conditions of an America that rejected hyper-productivity. We wouldn't be Congo, we would be alright. As it is we're diverging socio-economically in terms of wages and experience, guilded age in the making again, so this too is going to be moot in two decades if we dont' change course.

The real problem is that such choice of dialing back is NOT given in America. For me to suggest a 50% reduction of productivity to my employer would constitute a 100% reduction in my income. There is no middle ground in America. Most employment in America that allows such vocational liberties, pay squat even at 100% expected participation (i.e. department store clerk work), so the point is moot at those compensation levels.

For a sector of the economy that whines all the day about the lack of work ethic in this country, they sure like to act aloof at the concept of UNDEREMPLOYMENT, which is the real nasty overarching theme to our present economic condition. Bunch of technically trained people doing jobs for 45K with layoffs every five years. That's where your "coddling" comes from; nobody late Gen X and younger considered that ROI a proper opportunity cost for going through the college racket. Go ahead and shrug your shoulders, watch everybody decide to sit on their hands or torch the streets in lieu of going to work for peanuts [read: UK 'yobism'] , just so that some workaholic can feel better about himself no less, and watch this country turn into economic-polarized Brazil. You're gonna love going to the mall on the weekends among the collective riff raff then, with the have, have-not dynamics.

Didn't ya listen to Office Space (such formative gospel for me)? "That makes a man work JUST hard enough not to get fired". no extra cookies for missing out on the non-economic valuations of my life that are not tied to my vocation.

Americans need to work smarter not harder.....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2011, 05:23 PM
 
12,671 posts, read 21,966,575 times
Reputation: 2644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
People are lazy.

I'm back at a hourly job for the first time in years, 9- 10 hour days. (only a few days per week)

I could leave several hours earlier.

Getting paid by the hour makes me work more.

Most Americans just want to get by.
Lazyiness won't get you anywhere in life. Whether its a hourly or a salary job, that isn't the point. The money is on the table somewhere, why not grab it now. Who knows what the future is.

What are you getting out of living paycheck to paycheck?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2011, 05:36 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,661 posts, read 78,613,464 times
Reputation: 36332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Maybe you are a hater lol

.
That's an odd thing to say to someone who just said there ought to be room in our society for people with all different kinds of priorities about their personal ambitions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2011, 05:37 PM
 
8,265 posts, read 11,218,185 times
Reputation: 4788
You can find a balance.

I'm not working overtime if I can avoid it, and if I do I almost always find a way to make up for it by skipping out early when the opportunity strikes.

Yet I certainly don't live paycheck to paycheck.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top