Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 09:28 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,957,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Alternate Inflation Charts

The CPI was, and I stress WAS, a measure of what it took to maintain a constant standard of living.
Who do you know that doesn't need food or energy ?
Prices go up and down too much for inclusion in the official CPI.
Well we don't have that luxury of not including them. If the price is up we pay. If the price is down we pay. And currently food/energy is taking a bigger chunk of everyone's paycheck.

Quote:
The CPI chart on the home page reflects our estimate of inflation for today as if it were calculated the same way it was in 1990.
Quote:
In general terms, methodological shifts in government reporting have depressed reported inflation, moving the concept of the CPI away from being a measure of the cost of living needed to maintain a constant standard of living.
Thanks for sharing this chart Happy Texan.

I'll be sure to pass it around to other people I know.

It will be an eye opener for some that will be able to look past the smoke and mirrors being put out to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 09:56 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,078,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
The Gov't calculates 'Inflation' based upon the calculation which does NOT include food and energy, as is clearly stated.
No it doesn't. The government utilizes CPI-W or CPI-U to make adjustments for inflation, both of these measures include food and energy. Core inflation is primary used in monetary policy, it is the most important number to track for that purpose.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:56 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
The USD has lost 97% of it's purchasing power since 1913. (When the Federal Reserve was created)
Are you not going to make a comparison with other currencies? Because that would be disingenuous and incredibly misleading if you don't.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:07 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
You don't remember hearing 'grandpa' talking about buying a Coke and a popcorn (Or ice cream) for a nickle?
Yes, I do. I also remember my grandfather saying he made $0.60/hour as a baker at Ruebel's. That was 1946 after he was discharged from the army.

Quote:
I remember when Gas was $0.67...
So do I. I also remember making $2.30/hour (minimum wage) working at Wendy's and driving my Barracuda with a Mopar 440.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:42 PM

30,891 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
You need to brush up on your reading comprehension.
The Gov't calculates 'Inflation' based upon the calculation which does NOT include food and energy, as is clearly stated.

LOL... What?
I have had my share of disagreements with User_ID, but you're the one who's wrong this time.

The number quoted in the media is the CPI-U, which includes food & energy. The often state the "core" rate as well, which doesn't include food & energy.

See below:

The headline consumer price index rose 1.5% during 2010, while the core CPI, which excludes food and energy, was up only 0.8%.

Consumers Turning Into Inflation Hawks - Real Time Economics - WSJ

I do, however, think the headline rate is understated.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Are you not going to make a comparison with other currencies? Because that would be disingenuous and incredibly misleading if you don't.

You have a point that all currencies depreciate. However, this wasn't true before the 20th century, at least in the US. Up until the 1930s, the US experienced regular preiods of inflation and deflation. Then the Federal Reserve got more heavily involved in the economy, and now deflation is rare or nonexistent.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
Tsssss please that's ridiculous
I don't see what's ridiculous about it. It's true. Before the Federal Reserve got heavily involved in the US economy in the 1940s, long term inflation was 0. There were periods of inflation and deflation. Now, deflation is rare or nonexistent.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:20 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I have had my share of disagreements with User_ID, but you're the one who's wrong this time.

The number quoted in the media is the CPI-U, which includes food & energy. The often state the "core" rate as well, which doesn't include food & energy.

See below:

The headline consumer price index rose 1.5% during 2010, while the core CPI, which excludes food and energy, was up only 0.8%.

Perhaps I am misstating a term or something?
Would you tell me what is incorrect with this article:
Inflation numbers are rotten to the core Irwin Kellner - MarketWatch

http://research.stlouisfed.org/publi.../Inflation.pdf
Quote:
Since the 1970s, core inflation
has typically been measured by excluding
food and energy from the basket
of goods.
Canada, but connected... and the economic but is the same...
Hiding inflation - FP Comment (http://network.nationalpost.com/NP/blogs/fpcomment/archive/2010/04/28/hiding-inflation.aspx - broken link)
Quote:
For the last 150 years, most of the changes in methods to measure inflation involved fine-tuning on the three themes of quality, proportion and composition. That changed on October 17 1973, with the OPEC oil embargo. The surge in the price of oil had a striking effect upon inflation in the industrial nations.

Arthur Burns, who was then the chairman of the US Federal Reserve, asked the Fed’s economists to strip out energy prices from the CPI so he could get a measure of the “underlying trend” in prices, unaffected by what was then believed to be a temporary price shock. When food prices then rose sharply, they stripped those out — followed by used cars, children’s toys, jewellery, housing and so on, until around half the CPI basket was excluded because it was supposedly “distorted” by exogenous forces. This led to the development of “core inflation,” which is the CPI less energy and food prices.

The BLS made further major changes in 1978, 1987, 1995 and 1998. Government statistical agencies around the world copied them. It’s not hard to see why. [LEFT]
Read more: Hiding inflation - FP Comment (http://network.nationalpost.com/NP/blogs/fpcomment/archive/2010/04/28/hiding-inflation.aspx#ixzz1DulNFpHE - broken link)
[/LEFT]
I am fully aware that I just like anyone else can be wrong. But please show me rather than just tell me so that I can learn.

I see no point with comparing the USD to other, insolvent currencies, because despite the posters comments... that is largely irrelevant.
It pertains to trade, but not to economic health.

As to having been paid less to match the lower prices years ago:
Other than forgetting that wages do not rise as fast as inflation (So you are eternally 'falling farther behind' the poster forgets that with higher wages (Which give you LESS purchasing power) tax %'s go UP.
Taking a larger % of your income.
There is a reason that inflation is called a 'tax on the working man'

Alternate Inflation Charts

As was asked before:
WHO does not use food or energy?

Please, if I am wrong, explain how so that I can learn. Not just make a statement which is at odds with what research and data I can find.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:27 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post

See below:

I'm reading over, to see what I'm missing and I read this:
Consumer Price Index Definition - CPI Index - Calculate Consumer Price Index - CPI History
Quote:
Core Consumer Price Index:

Two measures of inflation are often reported: Core CPI, which does not include food and energy cost, and non-core CPI, which includes everything. Core CPI is important because this is what the Federal Reserve looks at to decide whether or not to raise the Fed Funds rate. The Fed uses the Core CPI because food and energy, specifically gasoline, are so volatile and the Fed's tools are so slow-acting. Therefore, inflation could be high if gas prices have increased dramatically, but the Fed won't react until those increases trickle through to the prices of other goods and services.
(Shrugs)

I'd appreciate the explanation.

-Note, I did see where he didn't tried to change the argument and address inflation, but claimed' what is reported'... is that your point of contention?
My concern is inflation. Not what the media says from day to day. I learned in Iraq that what the Media reported were ether lies, misinformation, incorrect, or just plain BS.
I read the newspaper every day in High school. Haven't read one in years.

I'm apparently missing something. Please explain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics