Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 12:25 AM

111 posts, read 295,312 times

Advertisements

I really just worry about some virus being unleashed and quarantine zones, not knowing if it's real. Stuck behind some barb wire fences like pigs. Yea that's about the one thing that would really ruin it for me.

Outside of that, life goes on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 07:52 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,541,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHAdams View Post
I love this solution....we will just live in tee pee's instead of being industrialized.
Let me see if I follow this.

You are thinking that if we used simple solar thermal energy to clean, or desalinate, or otherwise create fresh water, it would be mean the end of industrialization and a return to "tee pees?"

I am getting that correct?

Or are you just trying to give an example of "are humans really stupid?"

Old 02-19-2011, 08:58 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post

Or are you just trying to give an example of "are humans really stupid?"
It's just the usual black/white thinking that clutters these boards. There is no gray area. If it's not the Taj Mahal, there is no other alternative but the tee pee. If it's not your own corporate jet, it must be walking in home-made sandals. If there's no truffles on the menu, it must be beans and rice.

Yes, it is an example of "are humans really stupid", and the stupidest of them reply to every thread with the same black/white, umm, I almost said thinking.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:55 AM

1,788 posts, read 2,480,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
It's just the usual black/white thinking that clutters these boards. There is no gray area. If it's not the Taj Mahal, there is no other alternative but the tee pee. If it's not your own corporate jet, it must be walking in home-made sandals. If there's no truffles on the menu, it must be beans and rice.

Yes, it is an example of "are humans really stupid", and the stupidest of them reply to every thread with the same black/white, umm, I almost said thinking.
Well:
1) Not all of us are retired.
2) Amount of time spent with responses has nothing to do with intelligence.
3) I'm working on becoming an environmental engineer so that I can do something that actually makes sense. What are you folks doing other than being keyboard commandos? Repeating "Ain't it awful" does not actually do a whole lot.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:37 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHAdams View Post
Well:
1) Not all of us are retired.
2) Amount of time spent with responses has nothing to do with intelligence.
3) I'm working on becoming an environmental engineer so that I can do something that actually makes sense. What are you folks doing other than being keyboard commandos? Repeating "Ain't it awful" does not actually do a whole lot.
Did I say "contributing to a discussion" is stupid? Huh? Well, did I?

No. I attributed stupidity only to the relatively small number of posters who constantly insist that things can only be black if they are not white.

I might expand that to include those who are unable to read and comprehend relatively short and simple sentences.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:57 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,405,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
I think you are probably totally missing the genre.

Doomer tends to beyond the now rather-beyond-stale-date of .gov v. "free market" (whatever that means to anybody -- has one ever existed anywhere for anything?).

Sounds like you are sort of approaching this from a Ronald Reagan hairdo era level? Just observing by the concepts.

Typical Doomer shortage view is that things are in shortage because they really are in shortage, and if it were somehow contrived, Corporate Hoarding and Profiteering could be as likely a source of the problems as .gov involvement.

But either way, the focus tends to on the shortage and how to deal with it, not attach inane political philosophy to it.
Love the "Ronald Reagan hairdo" line, very clever.

But these things are connected. Go back and read June 2008 stories about how gasoline would soon be at $7/gallon and the price of crude oil was bound to cross $200 soon. All the experts were quoted to the effect that mushrooming demand against finite supply spelled the obvious outcome.

The shortage carried the seeds of its own cure, via the price mechanism. At $4 for gasoline, demand shrank as the least worthy uses went away. Supply ballooned as capped wells came back on line, and other sources that were uneconomic at lower prices sprang to life.

You could not design a government program, no matter how comprehensive, to cut demand and increase supply as efficiently and effectively as the market.

So yes, I'll go with Ronald Reagan on this one. As long as there is a buck to be made by satisfying our needs and wants, our needs and wants will be satisfied. If the whale oil supply runs out we will still be able to light our homes. (Oh, wait, that is actual history, not a prediction.) If we actually exhaust the supply of a natural resource (often predicted but has never happened) then the next best substitute will be delivered to our door.

The market unleashes human creativity, a force whose power is not appreciated by the central planning types--and which will continue to solve every problem we face.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:26 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,984,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Nuclear energy is import but not a soltuion. But then agin we are decaddes behind and the cost is huge. Een then we wil have to solved the 19000 other essentals crude produces that will be a huge factor in even converting to nuclear for eectiricty alone.I fact the abity to obtain crude and control it may be the key to who achieves crude indenpedence in the future.Even then energy is gopig to be much more expensive when they achieve it likely.,
Most of those products can be made with plant oils.

Ford built a complete car body with hemp fiber, hemp oil resins, and paint.

I think the only thing that hasn't been made is the upper fractioning naptha's.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:22 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,541,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Love the "Ronald Reagan hairdo" line, very clever.

But these things are connected. Go back and read June 2008 stories about how gasoline would soon be at $7/gallon and the price of crude oil was bound to cross $200 soon. All the experts were quoted to the effect that mushrooming demand against finite supply spelled the obvious outcome.

The shortage carried the seeds of its own cure, via the price mechanism. At $4 for gasoline, demand shrank as the least worthy uses went away. Supply ballooned as capped wells came back on line, and other sources that were uneconomic at lower prices sprang to life.
Sort seem to fit with the RR part because most of this looks sort of like mindlessly repeating slogans without a lot of tracking what really goes on. But like a good sports announcer, (RR specialty, as well) that sells well with the folks at home drinking a beer.

Ever hear of the sign at the start of Alaska Highway? "Choose your rut carefully, you will be in it for the next 600 miles." Seems that same with hairdos and mindsets. Once folks pick one, they seem to stay with it for decades. Yours seemed to fit the 1980s RR slogans-in-lieu-of-thinking genre.

If you look or read what the real energy (and Oil) folks deal with (my realm), it is not the Supply and Demand Market nonsense, in the bigger years-out picture. It is total production. We appear to be past Peak Production. Dunno if you follow what that means. Production Peaked before the general economic collapse. The short-term price collapse that came about from economic collapse just brings the production down quicker. We can do more detail about this, but if you do not or cannot follow production is the limiting factor (and the market was/is not able to increase production), you may not get this.

Table 11.5 World Crude Oil Production, 1960-2009 (Million Barrels per Day)

Quote:

You could not design a government program, no matter how comprehensive, to cut demand and increase supply as efficiently and effectively as the market.
It would not matter if you could. If we are past Peak Production, AND have to import more and more just to maintain, AND we lose money on every drop we burn, (All those are true) we would appear to be stupid to even to stay on Oil. Hence the observation about whether humans are really this stupid. Market theory cannot save you or US from reality.

Quote:
So yes, I'll go with Ronald Reagan on this one. As long as there is a buck to be made by satisfying our needs and wants, our needs and wants will be satisfied. If the whale oil supply runs out we will still be able to light our homes. (Oh, wait, that is actual history, not a prediction.) If we actually exhaust the supply of a natural resource (often predicted but has never happened) then the next best substitute will be delivered to our door.

The market unleashes human creativity, a force whose power is not appreciated by the central planning types--and which will continue to solve every problem we face.
I see you are stuck in some fantasy oscillation between Master Central Planning v. some (non-existent?) Free Market? Sorry, but I do not tend to play fantasy games. But you are welcome to it. Boring guy, I suppose, but I just tend to deal in real stuff.

So how are them Bears (or insert other local sports franchise team here) going to do this year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics