Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 02:45 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,150,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyofnorth View Post
Where does the oil go that BP is drilling off the coast off USA???
What oil?

Do you realize that you answered your own question?

The operand is "drilling."

"Drilling" and "pumping" are not the same thing.

Those are test wells out in the Gulf. If they hadn't blowed up and killed all them guys, they still wouldn't be pumping oil, because they have to do the assays first.

You know what cut points are, right? If you know something the oil companies don't, give me you e-mail address and I'll be your agent. I'll be a billionaire, so that would make you a $100 Billionaire (I'm a nice agent -- I'd only take 2.5%).

I'll take you out to the various oil fields and you can do whatever it is that you do and tell the oil companies the sulfur content, how much nickel, vanadium, mercury, arsenic, uranium and other metals are in the oil, and give all the cut-points plus the chemical formulas.

If you can't do that, then the oil companies will have to use the old-fashioned method and sent barrels up to the lab for testing. They'll take a few hundred barrels and burn them with a catalyst, then another few hundred and burn them with another catalyst, and so on for all the different catalysts they have, and the products that come off during the refining, they'll have to send that to the lab and study for its chemical properties and exact formula.

By the way, that takes about 2-3 years, because they'll run the catalyst tests a number of times for statistical average.

See, oil isn't like water, it's more like wine. Is all wine red? Nope. Is all wine sweet? Nope. Does all wine have the same alcohol content? Nope. Oils come in all different kinds, and they have different uses and purposes. You want to drill in ANWAR? Why? That's heavy oil. You can't refine the heavy oil you got so you export it. And a paltry 9 gallons of gasoline per barrel of heavy oil, yeah that will really cause the gasoline supply to increase and lower gasoline prices. Not.

You want to drill in the Gulf? That's a roll of the die. Maybe you get light sweet or sweet intermediate crude, then again maybe it's high-sulfur. If you find a field of 2 Billion barrels of sour intermediate, it might as well be 2 Billion barrels of goat's urine.

If that oil BP was drilling to get to is high-sulfur, it is totally useless to you. No such thing as "high-sulfur gasoline."

They do have high-sulfur diesel, but you can only use it in dirt bikes, off-road vehicles like tractors, combines and harvesters, ATVs, boats and such. Can't use high-sulfur diesel in trains, trucks or cars, because everyone complained that it was stinky, and the EPA said it was stinky and so it was banned.

Tell the EPA to change the law? Okay. You got enough money to buy a new car? Because that's what you'll have to do if you want to use high-sulfur gasoline. Your emission system, fuel injectors, the computer brain that mixes that all up and controls/monitors the fuel process is for low-sulfur gasoline. You'd either have to spend $1000s to replace the engine or buy a new car.

It would probably be cheaper to pay the extra buck per gallon than to buy a new car.

Quote:
Does anyone in WASHINGTON CARE????
No, why should they? You're the one who wants to drive and live way out in Sprawlville where you have to drive 20 miles just to get to anywhere, and only pay $0.50 per gallon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Oil prices are high because the American people made a deliberate decision decades ago to forgo mass transit and trains in favor of private passenger cars and interstate freeways.
No, they didn't.

General Motors purchased all of the private mass transit systems in the US and ran them into the ground (for a nice tax dodge) in order to force Americans to purchase cars. That is not a conspiracy theory, that is a documentary video (which has aired repeatedly on PBS and other networks for more than 2 decades) in which the GM vice-president in charge of the "screwing Americans project" confesses in front of god, country and his own mother.

Quote:
You might as well blame all the Presidents (or none of them) for our current energy predicament.
Sure, you can do that. That's a lot of tax payer dollars thrown away, and even more thrown away on what has become near perennial re-surfacing projects.

Quote:
However, the only longterm solution to this policy is alternative fuels that will free us from dependence on oil from other countries.
Alternative fuels is a total failure and will not create any cost savings. What alternative fuels will do is suck even more food crops off of the market to be used as fuels and cause food prices to rise offsetting any potential cost-savings. In fact, you could end up paying more for the alternative fuels than for gasoline, even if gasoline was a constant $5/gallon.

You need a cogent coherent unified fuel policy for the combustion engine, and the best thing going now is natural gas, until you can find an alternative to the combustion engine.

Quote:
If Americans really want a way out of foreign oil dependence, there is a way out...
There is no way out.

You are dependent on foreign oil. Period.

Even if you cut off foreign imports tomorrow, the only thing that would happen is you would start importing chemical feed-stocks from foreign oil refined in foreign countries.

If you banned the import of chemical feed-stocks from foreign oil refined in foreign countries, then you will have to start importing pharmaceuticals from foreign countries.

A lot of you are under the mistaken impression that you import foreign oil for gasoline. You did. Back in the 1970s.

In the late 1960s it was realized that the only way to meet America's future demand for gasoline was to import foreign light oil. Heavy oil only yields 6 gallons per 42 gallon barrel. Heavy oil refining capacity in the US was maxed out. Those refineries were built between the 1880s and 1920s and they were old and decrepit, despite having been upgraded and modernized where possible, and being built in urban areas because no yet understood the dangers of chemical contamination, they could not be expanded.

No matter what, new refineries had to be built. You can build more heavy oil refineries putting out 6 gallons per barrel, or you could build light oil refineries putting out 22 gallons per barrel.

6 gallons heavy oil versus 22 gallons light oil. Which will meet America's needs? Common sense says you import light oil.

Yes, intermediate grade oils were yielding 11-13 gallons per barrel, but those refineries were also maxed out, and old, and 22 gallons per barrel is still the most common sense economical way to go.

Later, in the 1990s, better catalysts, better cracking still designs and better refining methods allowed better yields of gasoline, so you can now get 9 gallons from heavy oil and 16-19 gallons from intermediate grade oil, but you only have two sweet intermediate fields, West Texas Intermediate and Illinois Intermediate (which is just about depleted).

Something else happened in the 1990s. Better laboratory processes, better chemical processes with robust catalysts, and better industrial (that is computerized) processes allowed you to produce and use chemical feed stocks.

And that is why you import foreign oil now, not for the gasoline, but for the feed stocks that make your standard of living "superior."

Cut off foreign oil, and you just killed 10 Million Americans. Plavix and all those drugs made since 1994 are made using organic alcohols and other chemical compounds derived solely and exclusively from foreign light oil. There is no substitute. You cannot get those chemical feed-stocks from heavy or intermediate grade oils. It's a matter of chemistry. So all those people with heart conditions and strokes and many other life threatening illnesses will die if they can't get those drugs.

Sure, you can make birth control pills from heavy oil. That's where your first birth control pills came from. But the birth control pills on the market recently, and the "patch" are made solely, exclusively, from foreign light oil.

You would also put 20 Million people out of work. Givaudan and Wild Flavors make artificial colorings and flavorings for the foods that you would never eat without those artificial flavorings and colorings that are made solely, exclusively, from foreign light oil. All the frozen food manufacturers in the US go out of business if there's no foreign light oil. Hormel and Bob Evans that make those ready to eat foods, they have to stop production.

No more Tide liquid laundry detergent. You'll have to go back to using powdered detergent. All those super-sized grocery stores? Not any more. They'll be full of empty shelves without the products that are made from foreign light oil.

You're married to foreign oil.

You might not like the marriage, but ain't no judge gonna grant a divorce, and if a judge does, it will be just like a real divorce. Your standard of living will decline and slide all the way back to the 1970s.

You want to see what your life would be like, go get a JC Penny, Sears, Montgomery Ward and an Avon Cosmetics catalog from 1970.

I'm serious. Go look at those catalogs and compare them to catalogs today so you can see all the things you won't have anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 06:03 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,540,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

You need a cogent coherent unified fuel policy for the combustion engine, and the best thing going now is natural gas, until you can find an alternative to the combustion engine.
ummmm, electric motors?

Typical best ICE is maybe at best 30% efficient. Typical electric motor is 80 to 90% or better.

Typical electric motor runs over 10,000 hours between bearings R&R, typical ICE needs total rebuild at 2000 to 5000 hours.

Typical electric motor runs clean. Typical ICE will kill you if it is operating as designed and you are in the same closed room.

And oh . . . electric motors run on Electricity -- which is cheap, plentiful, and comes from multiple domestic sources -- including a growing renewable sector . . . and ICEs usually run on fossil, which is increasingly imported.

Finally -- you know what we run Oil refineries on? Hold on . . . here it comes . . . Electric Motors. No kidding.

Only ICEs in a refinery are the lunch truck, service trucks, and emergency vehicles. And I suppose you could count the back-up generators that only come on for testing because we double back-up the entire electrical systems for refineries.

Not saying the answer is blatantly obvious . . . but . . . ok , I am saying the answer is blatantly obvious.

Electric Motors.

Just how stupid are we?

Quote:

There is no way out.
Again, just how stupid?

Quote:
You are dependent on foreign oil. Period.
There is only a forced and intentionally created dependency.

Come on, you were the one making the observation regarding GM's behavior in this regard.

Quote:

. . . . lots of stats and numbers . . . .
You have so mixed the use of Oil for transportation motor fuels (Which is Very Large)

with the use of Oil for industrial chemicals (Which by comparison is Very Small)

that your overall reasoning makes little sense.

Mircea, you know I enjoy your excellent economic analysis and explanations -- but on this I think you may have left orbit. Just an observation.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:14 AM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,198,448 times
Quote:
I don`t believe nor do my friends and their friends believe there is a shortest. Or what is happing over in the Middle East causing the price increase. Its the oil companies and the evening news.
every time the news reports the average price of gas in the country. Next thing you know gas companies around town jack up the price. For the same gas they had earlier.
But, it costing us more .

Does anyone in WASHINGTON CARE???? Oh wait we will have a committee to look into this. How much are the tax payers paying them???? Not free you know.
Another rant on oil companies.... seriously? I don't understand why people don't educate themselves on this subject.

First off... oil and gas just doesn't magically appear out of the ground and into the gas pump... theres SEVERAL middle men companies. Which oil companies are actual AMERICAN oil companies?
Crude Oil and Total Petroleum Imports Top 15 Countries

And after your done researching the business of oil and gas... next research the stock market and the price index... The price of oil is affected by EVERYTHING going on around the world. A natural resource that runs the world - will affect everyones price at the pump because of multiple factors.

I get tired of people moaning about the price of gas when my doctors bills keep going up, my medication costs keep going up and the price of milk keeps going up... (its ok for drug companies to make crushing profits, but not oil and gas?)

People need to really really really re-evaluate priorities in life.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:19 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,517,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Hey, that's one thing I really LIKE about JOCO. The place at least has a high percentage of educated people. The area I live in now is pretty much an idiocracy and I am NOT LYING.
Sorry to hear that.

Hey, we are ALL idiots about various topics. Personally, I have no idea whatsoever about ballet or bow hunting or antique porcelin collectibles.....and so if the topic came up I would learn something, ask questions etc.

The true IDIOCRACY is where you have people weighing in vocally on topics they really have no clue about. It's like watching a monkey trying to fix a computer with a hammer. When the monkey is confronted by someone that actually knows something about computers they just become louder and perhaps hurl feces while continue to bang away with their hammer.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:22 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,517,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Yes speculation can work the other way too. That explains why we had $30 oil in early 2009, which is much lower than the true price should be.
Good post. Gas prices were WAYYYY down for a while. It's telling when people just come crawling out of the woodwork on the increases and predictably use it to axe grind.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:01 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
I always fail to see hwy people believe that washington controls crude oil prices.ven when we control more Carter still could fix it really as look what has happened since and that was onyl a 15% stoppage in world supply in the embargo.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:42 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,040 times
People in Washington do not care because they are too busy stuffing their pockets, raping the consumer.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:05 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,903,939 times

I still don't get why so many people are STILL freaking out when gas goes up!

Why do some of us feel so entitled to this natural resource?

Gas will fluctuate and eventually it may cost us as much as rent/mortgage does per month.

If you can't afford to drive your big ol' SUV, you can't afford an SUV! Downgrade to a more practical car (honda, or perhaps a nice hybrid), or get a better job!

Where else in the world do people act like this?

the stupidity of the masses is quite shocking.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:02 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,538,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Sorry to hear that.

Hey, we are ALL idiots about various topics. Personally, I have no idea whatsoever about ballet or bow hunting or antique porcelin collectibles.....and so if the topic came up I would learn something, ask questions etc.

The true IDIOCRACY is where you have people weighing in vocally on topics they really have no clue about. It's like watching a monkey trying to fix a computer with a hammer. When the monkey is confronted by someone that actually knows something about computers they just become louder and perhaps hurl feces while continue to bang away with their hammer.

Well, I do currently live in the Louisville, KY metro area... It often feels 20-30+ years behind other areas of the country in several categories- particularly the outlying areas.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:04 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,538,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Good post. Gas prices were WAYYYY down for a while. It's telling when people just come crawling out of the woodwork on the increases and predictably use it to axe grind.
...That is why everyone should keep a lock on their mineral rights if ya own land. Newer technologies could come along and one could make bank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics