Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 08:31 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,238,406 times

Advertisements

forecast-for-best-buy-worst-yet-to-come: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

I can't see Best Buy being around for more than a few years. I used to buy a lot of things there in the 90's, but it doesn't make much sense from a personal finance stance to shop there. You can find the same products they have there for sometimes 30+% less at Amazon or New Egg.

I wonder if even Wal-Mart might stop selling electronics someday. Even with their lower prices they still can't compete with those two online retailers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 09:14 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,238,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
forecast-for-best-buy-worst-yet-to-come: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

I can't see Best Buy being around for more than a few years. I used to buy a lot of things there in the 90's, but it doesn't make much sense from a personal finance stance to shop there. You can find the same products they have there for sometimes 30+% less at Amazon or New Egg.

I wonder if even Wal-Mart might stop selling electronics someday. Even with their lower prices they still can't compete with those two online retailers.
Agreed...The brick and mortar stores are an outdated model. Circuit City is gone, and Ultimate Electronics is going out of business. Best Buy is next.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:21 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,751,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post

I was curious : I have never shopped at Amazon. Can you give me an example of how much you can really save ?

Example : Digital Camera ?

( or any price comparisons on products you want to name )

Old 03-07-2011, 09:31 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,252,682 times
I don't want to live in a society where I have no option but to buy online. In addition, what about if I need something now and don't have time to wait the 5-7 days for an online order to be delivered? Best Buy is the last brick and mortar electronics retailer left and many people don't buy everything online so I doubt they will go under. Plus, Best Buy generally caters to the more novice market and is less threatened by Newegg than say CompUSA was i.e. Best Buy doesn't have a great selection of individual computer parts or specialty electronics.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:40 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,238,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
I was curious : I have never shopped at Amazon. Can you give me an example of how much you can really save ?

Example : Digital Camera ?

( or any price comparisons on products you want to name )
You can save a lot. For example, I went to Best Buy looking for a blu ray player last year. I found a Samsung model I liked that was $249. I went home and looked it up on Amazon and it was $139.00. I will use Best Buy as a place to look for what I want, but I will not buy from there unless it is something really inexpensive. I know lots of others do this which is exactly why they will not be in business for too much longer.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:50 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
I dunno -- there are LOTS of folks that seem perfectly happy to cram into "Tiger Direct/ CompUSA" "outlets" as well as an army of folks shoving TVs into their SUVs at COSTCO, so as long as Best Buy can come up with a way to remain "price competitive" they ought not disappear anytime soon. I worry more about Radio Shack's continued viability with their odd mix of no-name products with high prices...

Old 03-07-2011, 10:15 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,252,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I dunno -- there are LOTS of folks that seem perfectly happy to cram into "Tiger Direct/ CompUSA" "outlets" as well as an army of folks shoving TVs into their SUVs at COSTCO, so as long as Best Buy can come up with a way to remain "price competitive" they ought not disappear anytime soon. I worry more about Radio Shack's continued viability with their odd mix of no-name products with high prices...
Radio Shack thrives primarily off rural markets and the fact they have many items people may need in an emergency i.e. they cannot wait the 5-7 days for shipping. In many rural markets they are the only electronics store.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:35 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,555,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I don't want to live in a society where I have no option but to buy online.
I think it's all about clientele. Best Buy, CompUSA, Circuit City were all about bringing in the cheapskates by using "price competition". I think stores that offer fair pricing but compete on quality and service will make it out of this economy.

Price can only go so low before quality suffers and I for one like to buy quality. I am willing to pay a bit more as long as they aren't charging for the quality of shelving or quality of store carpet, things that I don't get to take home when I make a purchase.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:44 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,370,975 times
Amazon Prime trumps Best Buy. Better prices, wider selection, better availability, and it's on my porch in two days.

Amazon and Newegg don't try to upsell you to $60 HDMI cables that don't work any better than a $5 HDMI cable. They don't try to sell you a "scratch protection warranty" on a game disc for $5.00 They just sell you what you want, and they let you see reviewer comments from others who have brought the item so you have a better idea whether you are making a good choice or not.

They scam novices on things like computer "optimization". They charge you an "optional" set up fee to install the OS on their computers, but if you want to install it yourself and save the money on the fee you'll discover that they do this to all of their machines so they can tack on the fee. They get the bulk of their profits by scamming their customers into dubious warranty programs, protection plans and needlessly expensive products.

They can't die soon enough as far as I'm concerned. I'll only miss having a physical showroom to look at the items that I'm going to buy on Amazon or Newegg anyway.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:54 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
Where I live, the nearest WalMart is a 40 minute drive and the nearest BestBuy is a 60 minute drive. And, if I do drive to them, there is no guarantee they will have what I want. In addition, their sales associates know very little about the items they are selling. I would much rather shop online where I can research the product, read product reviews, shop around for the best price and have the item delivered to my doorstep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics