U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 05:03 PM

8,954 posts, read 19,297,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Love the idea, but when you hit 50, 60, 65, 70 yrs of age, unless you are in tremendous shape you'd be hard put to bicycle esp on typical roads and highways. Not to mention transporting anything like groceries. Doesn't seem very realistic to me. Our cities and towns, for the most part, are not designed for safe biking (helmets notwithstanding).
America's town, cities & villages need to be redesigned to move from cars to mass transit & bicycles if we are to preserve our mobility at all. Not doing this will mean more pain when we HAVE to.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 05:04 PM

16,042 posts, read 20,645,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
You must think all bicycles are big box quality which is NOT true by a long ways.
No, it's not about the bikes, it's about growing old depending on one. Perhaps you've ridden all your life and are in great shape. Most older Americans however might go out on a weekend bike ride on side roads and parks. Once in a very great while I see a senior cit riding the main thoroughfares with a helmet on, old diehards who were probably fit all their lives. Sorry but I don't see relying on bikes for the vast majority of boomers

Old 03-14-2011, 05:04 PM

6,564 posts, read 5,652,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
A $500 bike isn't going to wear out from 2,500 miles of use, the majority of the parts will last many years. It would just require some mirror repairs all of which can be pretty easily done yourself.
You know...how?

My Miyata 512 from the late 1980's cost $650. In one summer of hard riding (about 5K miles) I went through both wheels, my cassette was shot and my chain needed to be replaced. I also replaced the saddle (more comfort) and the peddles (more power) and rewrapped the handle bars (the old tape wore out and unravelled).

A $650 bike back then is more like $1,250 today. If I had bought a cheaper bike back then I would have probably broken the bottom bracket just from wear. My brother did just that with his aluminum framed road bike in the same time period.

Still...my job for the past 10 years has always been a car commute of 15 to 20 miles one way without any real option for public transport. But now I'm working in an office building that's almost on a bus transit line...just a short 4 mile commute thru suburban streets from one bus stop to work...I'm thinking really hard about getting an urban commuter bike and giving it a try.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
No, it's not about the bikes, it's about growing old depending on one. Perhaps you've ridden all your life and are in great shape. Most older Americans however might go out on a weekend bike ride on side roads and parks. Once in a very great while I see a senior cit riding the main thoroughfares with a helmet on, old diehards who were probably fit all their lives. Sorry but I don't see relying on bikes for the vast majority of boomers
When the population ages while riding bicycles they keep their mobility much, much longer. For those who can't ride there will be mass transit or community that will help.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:07 PM

16,042 posts, read 20,645,423 times
Quote:
America's town, cities & villages need to be redesigned to move from cars to mass transit & bicycles if we are to preserve our mobility at all. Not doing this will mean more pain when we HAVE to.
I agree with this, but cities and towns are BROKE and will not in the near future be able to do any serious redesign and restructuring. One city I know of in the Midwest nearly ran its mayor out of town after he implemented an impressive network of biking/walking trails within the city, and this is a supposedly progressive town! go figure.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
You know...how?

My Miyata 512 from the late 1980's cost $650. In one summer of hard riding (about 5K miles) I went through both wheels, my cassette was shot and my chain needed to be replaced. I also replaced the saddle (more comfort) and the peddles (more power) and rewrapped the handle bars (the old tape wore out and unravelled).

A $650 bike back then is more like $1,250 today. If I had bought a cheaper bike back then I would have probably broken the bottom bracket just from wear. My brother did just that with his aluminum framed road bike in the same time period.

Still...my job for the past 10 years has always been a car commute of 15 to 20 miles one way without any real option for public transport. But now I'm working in an office building that's almost on a bus transit line...just a short 4 mile commute thru suburban streets from one bus stop to work...I'm thinking really hard about getting an urban commuter bike and giving it a try.
When you do buy make sure that the frame is steel or just don't buy a bike.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
You must think all bicycles are big box quality which is NOT true by a long ways.
Ah, we cross-posted, see above.

As long as I have your attention....

Trek Bikes | Bikes | Urban | Soho DLX (http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/urban/soho/sohodlx - broken link)

or

Raleigh Bicycles » Sojourn

or can you suggest something in the same price range for urban commuting?

Old 03-14-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
When you do buy make sure that the frame is steel or just don't buy a bike.
The Miyata was steel frame with a Cro-Moly fork...I loved that bike...but my brother 'borrowed' it from me and his 15 year old son managed to mangle it in an accident with a guard rail.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
I agree with this, but cities and towns are BROKE and will not in the near future be able to do any serious redesign and restructuring. One city I know of in the Midwest nearly ran its mayor out of town after he implemented an impressive network of biking/walking trails within the city, and this is a supposedly progressive town! go figure.
Sometimes people who see the future just need to do what's right since there are so many people with their heads in the sand.

America is about to find out that oil is finite and military will want the most of what's left.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:13 PM

4,919 posts, read 21,570,898 times
I just can't see myself picking up a girl and heading out of the bar and walking to a bike. Somehow I think that is a mood killer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics