Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 08:29 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Why not drive a car AND ride a bike? Liberal-hating is only an excuse to not ride at least for fun/exercise; the real reason is fat-assed lazyness.
A very good way to balance your transportation needs that is called "Car-Lite".

Use the car for those jobs that only the car can do and use the bicycle for all light duty short runs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 08:31 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Well - I previously worked out of my home office except for business trips which required air travel or occasional trips to corporate HQ. When I changed jobs in January (due to a layoff at my previous place) I potentially could have ended up with an office job > 20 miles from my home. Not everyone can pick up and move easily when they change jobs.

Now I do have shower facilities in my office, but even if riding a bike was an option for me, I don't know how I could make that work and still wear a nice, clean, wrinkle-free suit every day.
Leave a suit work and wear casual clothes to work/home. Change & freshen when you get to work.

Just don't act like it can't be done 'cause thousands of people do it everyday!

Old 03-15-2011, 08:38 PM

135 posts, read 248,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Bikers use the infrastructure and hence should pay for it. If cities started to move more towards a bike-centric culture they'd need to find ways of taxing bikers.
They use the infrastructure, but they take off the burden an automobile gives that infrastructure. The only way to tax would be through sales taxes on bike purchases. Which I'm not opposed to if it's put right back into more bike friendly infrastructure.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccornewell View Post
liberals want bicycles, conservatives want cars (fairly accurate discription). has anyone considered an in-between? scooters can be plated, pay taxes, are affordable, and can get over 100 mpg. just a thought.
I know plenty of conservatives that want better options for bike commutes.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Well - I previously worked out of my home office except for business trips which required air travel or occasional trips to corporate HQ. When I changed jobs in January (due to a layoff at my previous place) I potentially could have ended up with an office job > 20 miles from my home. Not everyone can pick up and move easily when they change jobs.

Now I do have shower facilities in my office, but even if riding a bike was an option for me, I don't know how I could make that work and still wear a nice, clean, wrinkle-free suit every day.
Just to be clear, that wasn't a snide remark at people that have to commute a far distance. More at the nations obsession with spreading every urban core out. I think we need more densely populated areas for a host of reasons.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:52 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,544,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Philip your anti-academic claptrap is rather tiresome, not to mention you start every post with an insult.
Not so much anti-academics. I just make fun of the bidness "academics."

The rest is just poking fun with you. You seemed like good sport on it all, but if that is not so much for you, no gain for me in doing so.

Quote:

Regardless, you are committing a very basic mistake here, you are applying a microeconomic principle to the realm of macroeconomics. As far as an individual or business is concerned "that which we do not spend we still have" is true, but that isn't true macroeconomically. Macroeconomically if everyone saves, nobody saves.
Maybe in 19XX Japan, or any other land of work-and-save.

But we are sooooo far from that here in the land of endless debt, that a few million (or more) just coming closer to zero (from the negative) would bring some balance towards a good thing.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:13 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
I am thinking of riding to work. Still this is a personal choice. I want to spend the time riding to get some exercise in. Then again I live in an area that has good weather and I can safely ride the almost 8 miles to work. We also have a fitness center at work where I can take a shower and get ready for work.

Saying that, I also believe that people should have the choice to drive what they want to drive.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:57 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,513,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
I think scooters would be a great idea, esp. in the city it would free up parking. BUT having owned one, I always thought it was a real ripoff that they charge the same for plates on a moped that goes 20mph tops as they do for a crotch rocket or a harley. If they would give people a break on the plates, I think they would go for the scooters. Esp. in warm weather climates.

But alas, those tax dollar greedy politicians screw up everything.
Here in MD, anything under 50 cc doesn't require tags. Though this rule seems to be interpreted as "anything that is a scooter."

Old 03-16-2011, 09:45 AM

168 posts, read 307,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Why not drive a car AND ride a bike? Liberal-hating is only an excuse to not ride at least for fun/exercise; the real reason is fat-assed lazyness.

im not fat or lazy, but liberals make hating them very easy . just because my wife and i are getting scooters doesnt mean anyone else has to. just because i like or dislike something doesnt mean that i think that everyone should follow suit. if i wanna drive my 4X4 jeep 14 miles each way, then we can pay for it. if my wife wants to drive her 4X4 jeep 22 miles each way, then we can pay for it. if you wanna ride a bicycle, have at it. i will only share ideas. i will not suggest what other people should do. liberals do that enough for me. if you wanna poke anything with a stick, then poke your own eye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics