Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 04:14 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,680,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Ah, we cross-posted, see above.

As long as I have your attention....

Trek Bikes | Bikes | Urban | Soho DLX (http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/urban/soho/sohodlx - broken link)

or

Raleigh Bicycles » Sojourn

or can you suggest something in the same price range for urban commuting?

The Trek is" Alpha Black Aluminum" frame and will not serve you well long term.

The Raleigh is "Reynold 520 Butted Chromoly w/CNC" framed (steel) and is a great choice.

This ,in my experience, is a much better choice that either of the bikes you noted FOR URBAN USE. (Reynolds 520 Butted Chromoly steel frame)
http://www.raleighusa.com/bikes/stee...e-roadster-11/

Last edited by Grandpa Pipes; 03-14-2011 at 04:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 04:27 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
I biked to work and back (12 miles) and loved it. I only stopped when I got hit by a car and got my arm broken ... which incidentally is the best reason NOT to do bicycle commuting. It's freaking dangerous; people just don't look for bicyclists. Quality road bikes can go 20-30 MPH on level ground without too much effort as well, making sure any accident is extra bloody for the rider...

Old 03-14-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I biked to work and back (12 miles) and loved it. I only stopped when I got hit by a car and got my arm broken ... which incidentally is the best reason NOT to do bicycle commuting. It's freaking dangerous; people just don't look for bicyclists. Quality road bikes can go 20-30 MPH on level ground without too much effort as well, making sure any accident is extra bloody for the rider...
When the horse throws ya the best course of action is to get back on to let'm know who's boss.

FEAR is never a good boss.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:38 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
When the horse throws ya the best course of action is to get back on to let'm know who's boss.

FEAR is never a good boss.
The bike doesn't care who is boss...and the bicyclist always looses in an accident.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
The bike doesn't care who is boss...and the bicyclist always looses in an accident.
Sure the cyclist and pedestrian always loose but did you quit walking??

Don't give into fear be it cycling or whatever since fear steals your quality of life.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:37 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,085,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Might have missed this one in school or something but here goes -- that which we do not spend, we still have.
Philip your anti-academic claptrap is rather tiresome, not to mention you start every post with an insult.

Regardless, you are committing a very basic mistake here, you are applying a microeconomic principle to the realm of macroeconomics. As far as an individual or business is concerned "that which we do not spend we still have" is true, but that isn't true macroeconomically. Macroeconomically if everyone saves, nobody saves.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:57 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
I just can't see myself picking up a girl and heading out of the bar and walking to a bike. Somehow I think that is a mood killer!
No one in Amsterdam dates. Ever . It's God's Honest Truth.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:01 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,526,876 times
Quote:
Yes, "IF" we let it...........

"Imagine getting a $3,000 to $12,000 tax rebate this year. Now imagine it coming again and again. Every year it grows by around a thousand dollars."

How bicycling will save the economy (if we let it) | Grist
lol

how did ethynol work out?

the government shoulnd't be in the business of trying to direct our behavior certain ways or subsidizing one energy or product over another

Old 03-14-2011, 06:06 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,702,555 times
Say everyone started doing this and we stopped spending gobs of money on gas. A lot of little business owners who run gas stations would have to close their businesses and put their employees out of work.

Quote:
People who whine about bicycles can't fathom the idea of not being able to drive whenever wherever they want to. THAT is what's called SPOILED!
While I see nothing wrong with riding a bike, I certainly don't "whine about bicycles" (whatever that means) but what is so bad / wrong / spoiled about wanting to do things whenever and wherever you want to if the means to do so are available?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
I just can't see myself picking up a girl and heading out of the bar and walking to a bike. Somehow I think that is a mood killer!
Come on...you can ride her home on the handlebars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
No one in Amsterdam dates. Ever . It's God's Honest Truth.
I guess they could just bike into the red light district.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:13 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
No, it's not about the bikes, it's about growing old depending on one. Perhaps you've ridden all your life and are in great shape. Most older Americans however might go out on a weekend bike ride on side roads and parks. Once in a very great while I see a senior cit riding the main thoroughfares with a helmet on, old diehards who were probably fit all their lives. Sorry but I don't see relying on bikes for the vast majority of boomers
Sorry, but I don't buy the "since we are lazy and fat now we shall have to remain lazy and fat...forever" theory.

People CAN and DO change, yes even late in life. I have a dear friend who started riding in her late 60s. She was easily 100 lbs overweight. I sold her an adult tricycle with a basket.

9 months later I saw her again. I was afraid to comment on her appearance in case she'd fallen ill.....yes she was ~that~ skinny! She grabbed my hand, told me she had never felt better in her life and that now she was tired of the old-lady bike and wanted a "fast bike". A few months later, she crashed. But she picked her self up, dusted herself off, and still rides to this day.

Also, since we are talking about dependence, let's go ahead and discuss America's aging boomer popultaion and their dependence upon private automobiles. Just how long are we going to let these folks keep driving multiple-thousands-of-pounds-of-steel on public roadways as their eyesight, their hearing, and their reflexes fail???

When you take away their car (a necessity for the safety of society) you basically render them immobile again. Infantilized. Dependent upon family and neighbors.

Why not start to plan NOW for a better option ? Walkable/bikeable communities that also allow for small motorized wheelchairs and yes bicycles and tricycles (not sure if you know this, but you can buy electric-assisted cycles that are wonderful for those with limited body-strength).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics