Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 09:01 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
Do we make TV's = NOOOOOOOOO

Do we make most items that now say "made in china" = NOOOOOOOOOOO

Enough said.
You can still have that lifestyle by moving to China....

As I've been implying throughout this thread... I'm glad to see oil rise.

It amazes me how many people are clueless in this thread (and I don't mean that to any specific person, just a general statement).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 06:45 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Oil is now approaching $107. It WILL be $110 by close tomorrow. I call $120 by the end of next week, and $170 by the end of April.

One question. Why is the Dow still rallying? This is insanity. We should be no higher than 6000 given the current state of the economy, and even that is too high.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:59 AM

764 posts, read 1,557,522 times
Quote:
I like the idea of producing for our own needs and this is what so many people fail to see.

Manufacturing practically GONE!

We don't produce for our needs now like we once did and the same can be said about drilling our own oil from our own territory without paying a "furrin" country as well as employing our own.

Hope you understand that we can as a nation take care of our needs like we once used to - this is not an ancient concept nor that it has never been done before.

I aggree, there is no excuse why we arnt drilling.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:22 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,582,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You can still have that lifestyle by moving to China....

As I've been implying throughout this thread... I'm glad to see oil rise.

It amazes me how many people are clueless in this thread (and I don't mean that to any specific person, just a general statement).

No we can be better than China right here in the USA and we once were in the manufacturing sector.

Clueless about oil rising? Yeah I love paying more for just about everything else because of the oil prices rising but in as long as you pay everyones price differences you can have oil rise as much as you please.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:03 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
Quote:
Do we make TV's = NOOOOOOOOO

Do we make most items that now say "made in china" = NOOOOOOOOOOO

Enough said.
When whether a country makes a specific item (like TVs) is a better indicator of a country's manufacturing strength than actual total production we'll be sure to let you know.

Here is your "almost gone" manufacturing sector:

You are obviously one of those who can't understand the difference between manufacturing employment and production when making silly claims about the death of U.S. manufacturing.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:20 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
Default Some people crave attention.

The kid who feels neglected will often act up in school or at home just to get attention from the teachers and/or parents. The more absurd the acting out the better. Once this feeling of exteme deficit is firmly entrenched, no amount of external attention will fix it. So rather than being embarrassed at the continual idiocy and being in the wrong, the obsessive acting out just continues because the thing it is trying to correct to too deep-seated.

Oops, I guess I thought I was in the Education Forum or something. So sorry. Obviously no connection to anything going on right here in this thread.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:44 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
No we can be better than China right here in the USA and we once were in the manufacturing sector.

Clueless about oil rising? Yeah I love paying more for just about everything else because of the oil prices rising but in as long as you pay everyones price differences you can have oil rise as much as you please.
No, sorry... I mean clueless about global economics. But to some degree, yes, clueless about the effects of oul rising.

One thing is for sure, we'll be dependant on oil for decades to come and the price of oil will surely fluctuate. So why not buy insurance against oil rising?

Old 03-24-2011, 10:23 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,546,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
No, sorry... I mean clueless about global economics. But to some degree, yes, clueless about the effects of oul rising.

One thing is for sure, we'll be dependant on oil for decades to come and the price of oil will surely fluctuate. So why not buy insurance against oil rising?
We do not have decades of money nor supply at the present "burn rate."

Even Drill-Baby-Drill idiots can look at the reduced production rates and figure this one out. Not rocket science. Here in Texas we now have 4 times as many wells as in the 1930's, but are back down to those production rates, from a 1970s Peak of about 3 times production of what we are doing now.

Oil Production and Well Counts (1935-2009)

As goes Texas, so goes US, and so goes the world.

Turns out Hubbert was correct.

There are very reasonable paths to take the US off of Oil for ground transportation. (Let air transportation fend for itself.) Once we stop buying and burning Oil for ground transportation, the supply goes lax for everyone, everywhere, and we quit losing money on buying the stuff.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:38 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,582,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
When whether a country makes a specific item (like TVs) is a better indicator of a country's manufacturing strength than actual total production we'll be sure to let you know.

Here is your "almost gone" manufacturing sector:

You are obviously one of those who can't understand the difference between manufacturing employment and production when making silly claims about the death of U.S. manufacturing.
Why is there mostly "Made in China" all around us?

That graph is nonsense in that it doesn't have accuracy to the reality on what's "on the shelf" so to speak.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:47 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
Because China produces a lot of inexpensive things that sit on retail shelves.

I'm not exactly sure what your position is here. Are you attempting to make a case that since you see a lot things made in China when you are shopping it means the actual data on U.S. manufacturing production is wrong? Do you believe they are lying or that you have a better sample set by strolling thu the aisles of Target looking at tags?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics