Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 07:41 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,049,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
People still drive because its seen as a right and not a luxury.
I suppose that's one of the problems that play into perception. Driving (on public roads) is not a right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
A cell phone service costs LESS than a landline with LD calling.
Cell phones have been a godsend to those who cannot afford landlines.

What century are you in, anyway?
Possibly, but cell phones and landlines cost significantly more than VOIP. Ofcourse, that assumes they have internet, but I'd imagine that internet is almost a required service at the point. What I cannot grasp is people that pay $100+ month on cable tv and complain about the price of starbucks or gasoline.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:16 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,365,533 times
I think some of you are missing the point. Yes, you can cancel the cell phone plan, cancel cable TV, cancel internet, cancel eating out, cancel vacation, etc. to pay for gas but think about that for a second. You are dumping services that employ people here in the US vs. outside the country. We'll have to keep sending money overseas but less and less money stays in the country employing others and circulating money here. Depending on what you do, this will most likely have a detrimental effect upon your employment as well.

Cutting back on US services might be good for you, but not for the US economy in general if everyone were to do it. We'd simply be shooting ourselves in the foot.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:58 PM

30,876 posts, read 36,834,852 times
Quote:
If you would have read further back in the thread, you would've seen I'm one of those people. Plus on top of it I'm stuck driving full size vehicles (Pick-Up & SUV (more U than anything else)).
I double checked and still couldn't see where you said that .

I don't know about your personal situation, but I think the need for full sized vehicles (IMO, more like monster sized) is overstated. I see people driving around in what look like military tanks in the city

Old 04-09-2011, 08:39 PM

23,709 posts, read 30,647,695 times
Quote:
.....but I think the need for full sized vehicles.....
Maybe we need to define what we all mean as full size private vehicle vs where commercial size starts. IMO Ford Expedition or larger should be commercial only and the size of a Ford Explorer would be the high end in size for a private SUV. So in the case of Pickups an F250 or larger should be commercial only and the size of a F150 would be the high end of private Pickups.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:37 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,792,897 times
Gas prices are already hurting places like Central FL a lot. I heard on the radio awhile back that cars are running out of gas on I-4 more often now. People who work low paying service jobs can barely afford to get to work now.

This will definately impact our summer tourism season here. Fewer people will make the drive from out of state. Airlines will charge more. Cruise lines have a fuel surcharge.

It is bad news all around. Don't even get me started on the price of diesel and how that impacts the local school districts.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Maybe we need to define what we all mean as full size private vehicle vs where commercial size starts. IMO Ford Expedition or larger should be commercial only and the size of a Ford Explorer would be the high end in size for a private SUV. So in the case of Pickups an F250 or larger should be commercial only and the size of a F150 would be the high end of private Pickups.
Do you mean that someone who wants an Expedition and is willing to pay $$$ for the gasoline should require a CDL in order to attain one?

Old 04-10-2011, 12:11 AM

23,709 posts, read 30,647,695 times
Quote:
Do you mean that someone who wants an Expedition and is willing to pay $$$ for the gasoline should require a CDL in order to attain one?
An Expedition is a F150 so its sort of in the grey area. But an Excursion definitely needs to be reclassed. Its not just the $$$$ for gas. Some vehicles need to reclassed as commercial only.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:28 AM

437 posts, read 790,873 times
December 2008 I paid $1.47 yesterday I paid $3.67. Thanks for the hope and change and green shoots and no longer being a Christian nation and thanking Islam for all it does for us.

Old 04-10-2011, 05:10 AM

4,520 posts, read 6,759,524 times
Gas cracked the $4 barrier here late last week. Now it's already up to $4.099. At this pace it will eclipse the 2008 spike in the $4.50 range by Memorial Day or sooner.

As others have said it's not just the gas it is everything that it touches, especially food, that will shutdown the fragile economic recovery. It is disingenuous to think that many of the half of the population living below the median income will not be severely impacted by the rising gas prices. The 2nd and 3rd Quintiles are the most vulnerable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics