U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 04:58 AM

85,321 posts, read 82,845,500 times

Advertisements

interesting enough they had jeff gundlach on cnn the other day. like bill gross he is one of the bond gurus. he runs DBLTX a 9 billion dollar bond fund.

he also is in the opposing camp to bill gross and feels rates are headed lower when qe2 ends not higher..minimum investment is 100k in dbltx so theres one for the rich on the opposing side making this argument about the rich plotting against everyone else just as stupid

time will tell who is right but the fact is you have just as much wealth on either side of the trade.

Jeffrey Gundlach: Time For Investors To Prepare For A Substantial Softening In The US Economy | zero hedge

Last edited by mathjak107; 04-21-2011 at 05:09 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 07:35 AM

8,265 posts, read 11,194,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
lower brackets? 28%... ha ha ha ha .which tax chart are you on ... for a married couple 28% is $139,350 – $212,300.. if thats you jimcom i guess your the thing you mock the most, an upper income earner..
He was attempting to mock those in the 28% bracket because he obviously doesn't understand anything about taxes or finances. All about regurgitating web site talking points and little substance, classic forum lecturer easily exposed as puddle deep.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:47 AM

1,480 posts, read 4,666,230 times
So then sell your bonds now and buy stocks. If there's a bear market in bonds it will not take the stock market down. People will move to buy stocks if bonds aren't doing well - big, blue chip companies that pay dividends.

The Fed will allow interest rates to rise because they have been effectively at zero for some time now, not as part of a grand conspiracy to con the poor.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:26 AM

6,797 posts, read 6,625,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
It has nothing to do with which bracket you're in, it has to do with the fundamentals of a tiered tax system with deductions and exemptions.

One has to be utterly naive to believe someone making 50k would just subtract 14k of their income for taxes since they fall into a 28% federal tax bracket, yet there you were lecturing with the usual haughty expertise. I believe we figured out the family of four from your example paid about $0 in federal taxes after standard deduction, exemptions, and child tax credit.

Also = if you think saying "neener I make more money you must be low income" bothers me, it doesn't. Shows an interesting side of you though.
http://www.google.com/url?q=http://w...-JXoHsn5PzXGKw
I believe your $0 dollar calculation was corrected by another poster, but at any rate the numbers were not the issue, regardless of how much you want to belabor them. The point I was making was that there was not that much difference in the purchasing power of a family of 4 earning 50K and paying everything out of pocket, and the same size family earning 22K and receiving multiple subsidies from the government. But that was a different topic and a different thread.
For some reason that argument really seemed to offend you.
Either that or it flew completely over your head and you were simply fixated with the numbers.
But that is off topic and a different thread.

Last edited by jimhcom; 04-21-2011 at 08:55 AM..

Old 04-21-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
but at any rate the numbers were not the issue, regardless of how much you want to belabor them.
The numbers are exactly an issue when one is proving that an another who constantly lectures others is in fact completely clueless about taxes and finance.

But I know I know, you just didn't get it because you are so wealthy that only the lower earners like me should have to understand how a tiered tax system works.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
The numbers are exactly an issue when one is proving that an another who constantly lectures others is in fact completely clueless about taxes and finance.

But I know I know, you just didn't get it because you are so wealthy that only the lower earners like me should have to understand how a tiered tax system works.
I know when I was in the 50K bracket it definitely was not tax free. Perhaps today it is, I don't know. You seem to be into it and believe it is, that’s fine, you think you are discrediting my argument about the bond market by bringing in an unrelated argument about taxes, which is fine too. You are apparently a bitter young man, with an axe to grind for whatever reason.
I would not like to speculate on the reason why.
In the end, life decides who is right and who is wrong, and rewards each accordingly.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:48 AM

When you were in the 50k bracket we also didn't have a completely different tax system where your top bracket percentage is simply applied to your entire income either. Point stands, you don't understand finance and taxes.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:27 PM

85,321 posts, read 82,845,500 times
With some of his convoluted spins you really have to wonder if he really believes his own bull sh*t

Old 04-22-2011, 08:21 AM

Perhaps you boys should ask your wives opinions, since they are the really successful ones in the family.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:38 AM

Well there is an interesting take. Putting aside what it obviously is (feeble flailing attempt at an insult) what logic are you using to make this declaration?

You must be pretty frustrated with your inability to make any inroads in debate to continue these silly attacks on things like my income bracket or my degree of success versus my wife. Calm down man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics