Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 06:02 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,211,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
How come making high income is considered rich?
Because you would never be able to go after where most of the money is earned ($100,00-300,000) unless you can attach them to the jet flying, yachting elite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 06:05 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
will likely end up being a tax because we may not get any of our "savings" back. At least be honest about that fact, jtur.
I can only describe what they were intended, by honest people, to do and what the public had confidence they'd do.

You are right that, like anything else, they can be mal-appropriated. But that doesn't make what you paid, even post facto, a tax.

There are couples receiving social security benefits in the neighborhood of $50K a year. That is a handsome return, for people who have no children to raise and who never saved a cent for themselves in their own retirement planning. I'd be fine if the upper limit of SS benefits were dropped to about half of what it is now, and I suspect that that by itself might save SS for everyone else, including you, for at least the lifetime of every current contributor. And it wouldn't hurt anyone who really needs the benefits of SS to escape penury.

I doubt if FDR, for whatever his faults, envisioned SS recipients "needing" their check to pay for a condo in Florida, a sailboat, and a new Escalade every two years.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-21-2011 at 06:17 PM..

Old 04-21-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I doubt if FDR, for whatever his faults, envisioned SS recipients "needing" their check to pay for a condo in Florida, a sailboat, and a new Escalade every two years.
Not at all, it was originally a system like Chili has where each person had an account but it was switched to a Pay-Go system in 39 I think.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:55 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,804,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Because you would never be able to go after where most of the money is earned ($100,00-300,000) unless you can attach them to the jet flying, yachting elite.
I am sure there are folks who make under $100K and have a high net worth value.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
I am sure there are folks who make under $100K and have a high net worth value.
Sure but we do the carpet bomb approach by going after hard working people who finally start making over $250k by talking as if they are also billionaires in yachts an private jets.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:21 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,731,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
your so off track from the discussion. its only about those that file returns .

your college kid isnt filing a return for 20 bucks. in fact he is most likerly a dependent on his parents taxes...

Actually he is supposed
to be filing a tax return so Philip is technically correct. And the person paying him is supposed to file a 1099-MISC to document it, if it comes to more than $500 total. And SEP is actually higher than FICA. Dependent or not, it doesn't reduce self employment tax. My son earned $575 bucks one summer getting paid $20-30 an occasion. He had to pay appx $100 in SEP. What is irksome is that some would like to make it a two tiered system where his funds are paying for another's higher level of entitlement and he may not ever see anything.

Last edited by shaker281; 04-22-2011 at 12:57 AM..

Old 04-22-2011, 12:59 AM

Quote:
That's a premium paid on retirement benefits. Everyone pays in direct proportion to what they will get in return.
So, you're getting what you deserve then?

Old 04-22-2011, 01:03 AM

Quote:
No, actually, my generation is not OK. Not by the standards of what you demand for yourself. A lot of us, like me, are living on $1,000 a month, and that's a lot less than high school dropouts are making at Burger King. How much a month are you taking out of the national economy, and selfishly whining that you have to give a little back?

My generation changed your diaper and drove you to soccer practice and bailed your ass out of jail on spring break, and you come visit us once a month in the nursing home. Not really asking much in return. Just a little dignity.

Here's a deal for you. You take in your parents or grandparents, fix up the back bedroom for them, set out a plate for them at the dinner table, drive them to shuffleboard, include them on your group insurance, and then maybe they'll let you off the hook for some of that FICA. Or hold a pillow over their faces. That'll work, too.
Why ruin a perfectly good pillow when a dry cleaning bag works better?

It sounds like your real issue is with your children and the choices you've made in life. What exactly did you do to pi$$ them off? Based on your demeanor, I'd say once a month would be grueling.

Old 04-22-2011, 02:36 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,866,277 times
I try to tell people this over and over. The super rich and investor types pay no taxes. Why? Because countries have to compete for their companies and their investment dollars. The reason they need to compete is because its ALL ABOUT THE JOBS. The people working the jobs are the ones who ultimately pay the taxes. The corporations will pay taxes but will also get corporate welfare as well. When you break it down, most pay little to no taxes.

Its ultimately for the good as well since at the end of the day the private sector employs the vast majority of us. If you want your job, its best to not tax the hand that fees ya!

Here is kiyosaki explaining it nice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_etSH-5SZA

Old 04-22-2011, 03:08 AM

106,654 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post

Actually he is supposed
to be filing a tax return so Philip is technically correct. And the person paying him is supposed to file a 1099-MISC to document it, if it comes to more than $500 total. And SEP is actually higher than FICA. Dependent or not, it doesn't reduce self employment tax. My son earned $575 bucks one summer getting paid $20-30 an occasion. He had to pay appx $100 in SEP. What is irksome is that some would like to make it a two tiered system where his funds are paying for another's higher level of entitlement and he may not ever see anything.
your wrong as well. college kids dont have to file for side work until they hit 400.00... his example was he eadned 20 bucks

Last edited by mathjak107; 04-22-2011 at 03:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics