Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 05:51 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times

Advertisements

Anyone invested in solar power, and if so, in what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 08:06 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,345,327 times
I bought 3350 shares of GT Solar as a Christmas present for myself in 2008. This was my first stock purchase. I funded it with money (10K) from a CD I had that matured.
I wanted to invest in alternative energies, particularly solar. I started researching and found GT Solar was head quartered here in my home state. I did not listen to my friends who tried to dissuade me from buying this stock (the same friends that bought Washington Mutual ALL the way down and lost their a$$es)
I sold 1000 shares in January of this year and made my money back plus enough to cover any capitol gains I may have to pay.
I'm going to take my original investment and start buying silver while it's down.
I will continue to look for great deals in alternative energies too. I don't know how you can really go wrong with these types of stocks if your in it for the long haul.

Old 05-07-2011, 03:29 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
I lined my house's roof, and my shed's roof with solar panels. Does that count in investing in solar power? If so, yes! :-)

Old 05-07-2011, 05:11 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,867,056 times
solar power? Nope. Still too expensive compared to fossil fuels. Its only a small niche market at the moment. Once a breakthrough in costs comes around then I might consider investing, until then though.

Old 05-07-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignhfamily View Post
I bought 3350 shares of GT Solar as a Christmas present for myself in 2008. This was my first stock purchase. I funded it with money (10K) from a CD I had that matured.
I wanted to invest in alternative energies, particularly solar. I started researching and found GT Solar was head quartered here in my home state. I did not listen to my friends who tried to dissuade me from buying this stock (the same friends that bought Washington Mutual ALL the way down and lost their a$$es)
I sold 1000 shares in January of this year and made my money back plus enough to cover any capitol gains I may have to pay.
I'm going to take my original investment and start buying silver while it's down.
I will continue to look for great deals in alternative energies too. I don't know how you can really go wrong with these types of stocks if your in it for the long haul.
Did you make any profit? Why did you sell?

Old 05-08-2011, 06:12 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
I know a guy who invested in a dial-up internet service provider about 15 years ago. Cutting edge, wave of the future, can't miss. Lost every penny, when companies liie ATT and Time Warner decided they wanted a piece of the action.

When fried gizzards get discovered and become the rage, it's not mom and pop who are going to get rich on then, it's McDonalds, who right now don't know a gizzard from a g-spot, but they catch on quick.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I know a guy who invested in a dial-up internet service provider about 15 years ago. Cutting edge, wave of the future, can't miss. Lost every penny, when companies liie ATT and Time Warner decided they wanted a piece of the action.

When fried gizzards get discovered and become the rage, it's not mom and pop who are going to get rich on then, it's McDonalds, who right now don't know a gizzard from a g-spot, but they catch on quick.
If he invested in dial-up internet 15 years ago, he was a fool. You don't invest in something after it's gone mainstream (1996). I mean, I got cable internet in 1997 w/ comcast@home.

Also, with technology (and pharma), it's all about IP. In these industries, the mom and pop companies with desired IP will become shooting stars.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
If he invested in dial-up internet 15 years ago, he was a fool. You don't invest in something after it's gone mainstream (1996). I mean, I got cable internet in 1997 w/ comcast@home.

Also, with technology (and pharma), it's all about IP. In these industries, the mom and pop companies with desired IP will become shooting stars.

Since solar power has not become mainstream, do you think it's a decent bet?

what is IP?

Old 05-08-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Since solar power has not become mainstream, do you think it's a decent bet?

what is IP?
IP = Intellectual Property. IP patents are licened or purchased by large companies for lots of money. So if you happen to be invested in a small company that has promising IP, and a large company (GE, Samsung, etc) is willing to pay $$ for that patent, then you'll reap in the benefits.

Personally, I think the solar panel research sector is a great investment opportunity. But you have to do your research (which I haven't at this point). I would not touch manufacturing companies at this time.

Old 05-08-2011, 05:27 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,546,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Anyone invested in solar power, and if so, in what?
Depends on how you want to use the word "invest."

Deeply invested in producing the result -- as in something that one actually does -- not like a typical passive investor (i.e., here, take my money, please return it with gain).

The business end of the business seems like gang-busters. We are backed-up for months ahead, with some millions of dollars of projects, already signed, and cannot even respond to all the calls coming in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics