U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 08:24 PM

12,470 posts, read 18,237,800 times

Advertisements

When people talk about generations, they are making statistical generalizations, its odd that you guys keep pointing out individual anecdotes to refute generational claims.... I don't know what the other poster had in mind about food, but the boomer generation is the McFood generation. They replaced good wholesome home cooked meals with microwave meals and other prepackaged junk because they thought that cooking was demeaning, that is, the women thought it was demeaning.

Generally speaking, boomers destroyed traditional culture and replaced it with McCulture. Now, in fairness, some of traditional culture deserved to be destroyed (the racism, etc) but they threw the baby out with the bath water.....

Last edited by Marka; 09-14-2012 at 12:41 AM.. Reason: removed quote
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 09:36 PM

23,186 posts, read 22,295,592 times
)When people talk about generations, they are making statistical generalizations, its odd that you guys keep pointing out individual anecdotes to refute generational claims.... I don't know what the other poster had in mind about food, but the boomer generation is the McFood generation. They replaced good wholesome home cooked meals with microwave meals and other prepackaged junk because they thought that cooking was demeaning, that is, the women thought it was demeaning.

Generally speaking, boomers destroyed traditional culture and replaced it with McCulture. Now, in fairness, some of traditional culture deserved to be destroyed (the racism, etc) but they threw the baby out with the bath water.....

At least this is sort of true, not just fabrication. We (older Boomers and that's what I know best because I am one) were not of the fast food generation though. For us, MacDonald's was a place to get a burger for 15 cents on a date, not a place to eat a meal. Their food is junk food. We were into organic and nutrition which some think is weird but it was one of our idealistic goals. We went to work and came home and cooked.

We pioneered a lot of things but junk food wasn't one of them. Maybe our efforts were hijacked by a later generation or even by younger Boomers--it does seem that it all was later taken to the extremes by people who took drugs and didn't want any rules at all, just chaos, people who went around telling their precious kids that they were "special" and all of that silly crap----but anyone who thinks that's what Boomers were about is wrong.

We did stand up for what we believed in. What we couldn't do was to prevent it from being taken too far by others who weren't there when it started and who didn't understand and probably didn't care either.

Maybe someday something you did will be misunderstood and you'll get blamed for something you didn't even do.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:07 PM

12,470 posts, read 18,237,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
We pioneered a lot of things but junk food wasn't one of them. Maybe our efforts were hijacked by a later generation or even by younger Boomers--it does seem that it all was later taken to the extremes by people who took drugs and didn't want any rules at all, just chaos, people who went around telling their precious kids that they were "special" and all of that silly crap----but anyone who thinks that's what Boomers were about is wrong.
I comment wasn't really about fast food, that is just one aspect of the changes that have occurred. Fast food started to become popularized when the boomers were still kids, but its the boomers that turned it into a once-in-the-while treat to a major source of meals because the boomers rallied against traditional culture...which included stay-at-home moms that cooked. If you're not home cooking, you're buying fast food, microwave meals, etc.

Regardless, boomers forgot how to cook and fed both themselves and their kids junk, and it shows, 2/3 of American adults are now overweight.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:45 AM

8,948 posts, read 3,829,150 times
Thread closed. Too many personal references. If you wish to discuss this subject, please repost without discussing each other. Thank you.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:40 PM

6,545 posts, read 2,478,380 times
All American generations since the Greatest Generation have become increasingly self absorbed and useless. Starting with Boomers and extending to Generation X-Y-Z. As a Japanese friend used to scold me: "you are nothing but a convenience to yourself".

Old 10-05-2012, 07:11 PM

23,186 posts, read 22,295,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
All American generations since the Greatest Generation have become increasingly self absorbed and useless. Starting with Boomers and extending to Generation X-Y-Z. As a Japanese friend used to scold me: "you are nothing but a convenience to yourself".
Could be. But I still don't think generalizations can be made about any one generation. Of course, I also don't think the Boomers look down on Generation Y either. I do think that some Gen Y ers enjoy setting up a fantasy perfect storm of imaginary rich Boomers who wrecked the world, pitted against imaginary disadvantaged Gen Y ers who are suffering at their hands.

My two Gen Y nieces are doing great, top of their classes in college, living at home to save money, both have already worked at jobs in their fields, and they get along great with their parents. No generation hatred there at all. Same with all their friends and with all Gen Yers I know. I just don't see this hatred between the generations.

Old 10-06-2012, 07:50 PM

18 posts, read 129,889 times
Funny how these people complaining about gen Y forgot who raised them. YES, YOU! You are complaining about your own creation and poor parenting. You are mentally ill hypocrites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics