Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 12:06 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
I would like to blow THIS huge lie perpetuated on the American people right out of the water.

I've done this my whole life with virtually no rewards. Most recently with a job that should have gone to me (a college educated person who busted her ASS to learn and apply this knowledge) going to a non-english speaking non-educated person instead.

So enough with the "If you work hard..." Bull****, please.
You call my post a lie based on something I never said, so I'm guessing the job went to someone with stronger reading comprehension.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 12:06 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It's just mind-boggling how financially inept and how geared towards instant gratification this latest crop of adults is...it's embarrassing to be associated with them sometimes.
Outside of student-loan debt, what evidence do you have that Gen-Y is more "instant gratification" than the boomers? I'd imagine debt is a good proxy for this and boomers have showered themselves in it more than any prior generation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
So here's my advice to Y-ers. Stop comparing yourself to your parent's generation (for good or ill). Life rarely comes served on a silver platter; expect to work hard and start at the bottom, even with a degree.
I think they will accept "working hard", after all they really have no choice. But they don't have to accept systematic generational theft lead by the boomers.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:09 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Speaking of "the real world" -- I have mixed feelings about who is in closer touch with reality: Gen Y, or the Boomers.
Sanity is not truth. Sanity is conformity to what is socially expected.
Truth is sometimes in conformity, sometimes not. --RP

Quote:
Boomers have a false sense of economic security...
Whatever sense of economic security any of us have is rooted in everyone else valuing the underlying asset.
That there is in fact a market for the asset.

Whether the degree of valuation is consistent is another matter.
But it has rarely ever been so.

Quote:
They overestimate the amount of time they've spent on this earth, and the wisdom that they've accumulated -- therefore they are liable to treat the last 20 or 30 years as the entirety of American history, and in the process, dismiss structural problems as cyclical problems.
This profile certainly exists.
While the specifics vary... the basic concept was just as true of generations past and will be just as true in the future.

Quote:
My philosophy is work smart first.... then you work hard.
Mine is "Make hay while the sun shines".

Quote:
What constitutes "smart" has undergone a big shift since my dad was in his 20's. ...
Local blue collar retirees worked their fingers to the bone for years...
A man who can't handle tools is not a man. You're disgusting” -- Willie Loman

Quote:
It isn't that we're lazy, in my opinion - it is that kids my age perceive success...
But "it" isn't about "success".
At this point "it" is about putting food on the table for most (if the employment forum is any sort of barometer).

This preference to focus on what is WANTED vs what is NEEDED...
to engage in what is perceived as a philosophical indulgence?
This answers what the OP's question asks.

Last edited by MrRational; 05-31-2011 at 12:19 PM..

Old 05-31-2011, 12:12 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,916,583 times
Quote:
You call my post a lie based on something I never said, so I'm guessing the job went to someone with stronger reading comprehension.
Whatever. Maybe I misunderstood your post, but there's no need for insults, is there ? (and no, I'm not reporting your insulting post because I'm not a snitch)

Old 05-31-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
hmm. Whatever sense of economic security any of us have is rooted in everyone else valuing the underlying asset. That there is in fact a market for the asset.
Indeed, and that market is facilitated by borrowing from younger generations' future tax revenues.

Quote:
This preference to focus on what is WANTED vs what is NEEDED...
to engage in what is perceived as a philosophical indulgence?
Is comfortable retirement also not an indulgence? How about senior healthcare?

In your analysis of what constitutes needs vs. wants, do you believe that you're applying the same standards to all generations?

Last edited by le roi; 05-31-2011 at 12:27 PM..

Old 05-31-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
Whatever. Maybe I misunderstood your post, but there's no need for insults, is there ?
I asked myself the same thing .. I generally consider being called a "liar" to be an insult.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:26 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It's just mind-boggling how financially inept and how geared towards instant gratification this latest crop of adults is...it's embarrassing to be associated with them sometimes.
Exactly. For the Gen Y crowd hardship is a dead cell-phone or laptop battery, or no Wi-Fi access. You'd think the world ended or something.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:32 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post

I think they will accept "working hard", after all they really have no choice. But they don't have to accept systematic generational theft lead by the boomers.
There is NO "systematic generational theft", just everyone (old and young) trying to grab a piece of the pie before the other guy, like it's always been since our kind gave up swinging in the trees.

I'm 33 and have pretty much everything I want. Hard work, smart planning and realistic goals got me somewhere... why am I the only one?

Old 05-31-2011, 12:38 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,316,309 times
[quote=Bandon;19383894]What the younger generation has figured out that the older generation still has it's head in the sand about is this: It does absolutely NO good to vote. It's a complete waste of time because it's a smokescreen.

That meaning it gives the sheeple the impression that they have some say in matters when the reality IS that the only laws/people elected etc are going to be the ones that benefit a very small minority of people in this country. That being the 2-3 % elite. And the only people elected will be one of two or more puppets willing to do their bidding.

If you always ask yourself, who does it benefit if such and such is passed or so-and-so is elected, it makes things MUCH clearer. Because very little of what is passed or who is elected ever seems to change things better for the masses.

This is life out of the Matrix, folks. Not always fun, but at least realistic.[/quote]

k:

100% correct!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-31-2011, 12:46 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
In your analysis of what constitutes needs vs. wants, do you believe that you're applying the same standards to all generations?
Yes, I do.

An example:
In that last post I mentioned the employment section of C-D.
There is a thread going on now titled " Living Wage by Region " in which the OP rather innocently asks:
So, what would you consider the lowest possible wage to be a good living wage (middle class) in the following major cities?

This perfectly exemplifies the disconnect of understanding observed between generations... the difference between a NEED (the living wage usually described in the context of subsistence) and WANT by characterizing a typical US middle class existence as an example of such.

How's that?

I don't think even the Country Club kids of the older generations would characterize a middle class life: the decent home, furniture, food in the pantry, reliable car, wardrobe, money for travel and a social life, and so forth as the subsistence that the term "living wage" means.

And I genuinely don't believe the issue is just the semantics or vocabulary.
I see it as deeply rooted misunderstanding of what poor and hungry really are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics