Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2011, 01:07 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,870,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Thats right you and I can afford multiple bear markets. The Bear market benefits us due to dollar cost average.
Meh meh meh

It's one thing if you're talking for the average American, it's another if you're representing the average American douchebag who is fortunate enough to ride the good and bad times and STILL get to make investment decisions...

...wait until it's all on your shoulders, Mr. Tool!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Have you been following the market news lately especially the Greece crisis?
You're right....Greece has the U.S. by the proverbial ballsack -- oh how I forgot! Why didn't we go to war with GREECE instead of Afganistan the past decade

Let's face it...America is in the pits (right now) for a reason: America. It's not always somebody elses' fault, despite what they teach you in Texas.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:18 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,730,510 times
Quote:
Have you been following the market news lately especially the Greece crisis?
Which is why I am expecting decent returns from US large caps for at least the next 18 months and staying out of foreign markets for the time being. I believe we will end 2011 up 12% on the Dow and S&P. And another 10-12% for 2012. No money in bonds (high inflation) or fixed income (low interest) and very good P/E's on large caps.

The current downturn is what dollar cost averaging is all about!

Old 06-20-2011, 01:22 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Meh meh meh

It's one thing if you're talking for the average American, it's another if you're representing the average American douchebag who is fortunate enough to ride the good and bad times and STILL get to make investment decisions...

...wait until it's all on your shoulders, Mr. Tool!
You obviously have some sort of resentment, which is why you have resorted to name-calling.

I'm just a well-educated, hard-working, individual, trying to live the American Dream. For whatever reason, you have a problem with this. Whether it's because you failed in your life, or you troubled by some other way, there's no reason to be mean towards those who are reaching their goals. It's not like I'm doing anything to hurt you or the economy... what's your problem?

We live in the best country of opportunity and we should celebrate it. I mean, I have a freaking machine that washes my clothes for me. I have a shower that runs water at a temperature of my choice. I have a car that blows cold air in my face! We're living the life!

And it's Sir. Toolbox, to you.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:34 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,730,510 times
Don't forget 12 tacos for 10 bucks!

Old 06-20-2011, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You obviously have some sort of resentment, which is why you have resorted to name-calling.

I'm just a well-educated, hard-working, individual, trying to live the American Dream. For whatever reason, you have a problem with this. Whether it's because you failed in your life, or you troubled by some other way, there's no reason to be mean towards those who are reaching their goals. It's not like I'm doing anything to hurt you or the economy... what's your problem?

We live in the best country of opportunity and we should celebrate it. I mean, I have a freaking machine that washes my clothes for me. I have a shower that runs water at a temperature of my choice. I have a car that blows cold air in my face! We're living the life!

And it's Sir. Toolbox, to you.
My bad (honestly, I forgot what you wanted to be called)..."Sir. Toolbox"

It's okay to like laundry machines and showers (we are human, afterall, right?), but I'm not going to suck your investment banker's "portfolio" just because you want to live the "American dream". To me, the American Dream means making this country better for You AND Me....not just You. I'm not trying to come off as bitter or poor or a failure or whatever else you conjured up by speaking with me in the last hour....I'm actually surprised that's what you came up with, but whatever. I just want to communicate my distaste with "Corporate America" and greed and hope that hard-working peoples such as You, I and the rest of us can come to a greater goal than a percentage or pension that somebody defines is "good enough". I won't take it anymore -- I'm just fed up with all of it! All of the bureaucratic B.S. I hear all of the time! I mean, aren't you?

P.S. this is NOT intended to be a modern-day Braveheart speach!

Old 06-20-2011, 01:45 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I just want to communicate my distaste with "Corporate America" and greed and hope that hard-working peoples such as You, I and the rest of us can come to a greater goal than a percentage or pension that somebody defines is "good enough". I won't take it anymore -- I'm just fed up with all of it! All of the bureaucratic B.S. I hear all of the time! I mean, aren't you?
I am tired of three things:

- CEOs that do not act in their investors (as a whole) best interests an/or society's (as a whole) best interest.
- Those with potential to stop leaching off the economy and handouts, which are too lazy to do so.
- Individuals who spend their entire life taking up jobs instead of creating jobs.

That last one upsets me the most. I feel it is the most critical of them all in terms of getting this economy to grow.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:36 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,672,422 times
The simple truth is that we humans get used to whatever is the norm.. The norm for so many folks who are today in their thirties or early forties is that they were given a lot of material stuff and a lot of personal latitude when it came to making choices about their future. Is there real merit in mainstreaming yourself with regard to what you own, drive, or do for a living? Probably yes, but the other consideration is that many kids do see beyond the maze of "normal" workaday life and it's seemingly agreeable values. For those who wanted more out of life than the Ozzie and Harriet path it must seem to be a cruel joke to have been raised in a world where they were worshiped as youngsters and told of all the "options"out there only to see that in the end we all become very regimented instead. We can't all be scientists or engineers, lawyers or doctors, we still need those who march to a different drummer, artists, musicians, writers and poets. We need to encourage these things in schools and not portray these choices as being less because they don't always result in big money.

We of the boomer generation were indoctrinated to the wonders of space exploration and the notion of an endless abundance of life improving technology, did we see the fact of a negative side of technology? No we didn't until it showed it's ability to eat our collective lunch, jobs went to robotic workers, computers were finally recognized as a possible detriment to our youth with their fantasy violent games and meaningless groups of "friends" to relate to in the solitude of their bedrooms. I don't know if we can see the future as a nation of people who have learned anything from our past mistakes but I would hope that at the least we'd see the possibility of regaining some balance in the way we raise our kids. Our human society is not heralded as being the most important aspect of our achievements, instead we are giving our kids the notion that they must conform to the norms of financial achievement, more money is better, more social status is better, bigger houses are better, and those who don't believe this way are certainly to be looked down upon.

More reality and less fantasy, more frugality and less conspicuous consumption, less machismo for boys and less fairy tales for girls, more neighborhood gatherings and less "social networking", in short a return to something akin to those days when folks measured each other by their character and not by what they drove or where they lived. I don't blame the average working class kid who seems to be enthralled with the notion of things being more worthy than people, it IS the American way as depicted on the tube, seldom do we see the good stuff that is happening all around us, the news and Madison avenue have left us with the idea that WE as individuals are supreme, WE are only meaningful when we can attain that elusive status of wealth and importance. Until all that image nonsense that pervades America is greatly diminished we'll see more of those prima Donnas coming out of schools across the land with their expectations up and their abilities way down.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:37 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
The simple truth is that we humans get used to whatever is the norm.. The norm for so many folks who are today in their thirties or early forties is that they were given a lot of material stuff and a lot of personal latitude when it came to making choices about their future. Is there real merit in mainstreaming yourself with regard to what you own, drive, or do for a living? Probably yes, but the other consideration is that many kids do see beyond the maze of "normal" workaday life and it's seemingly agreeable values. For those who wanted more out of life than the Ozzie and Harriet path it must seem to be a cruel joke to have been raised in a world where they were worshiped as youngsters and told of all the "options"out there only to see that in the end we all become very regimented instead. We can't all be scientists or engineers, lawyers or doctors, we still need those who march to a different drummer, artists, musicians, writers and poets. We need to encourage these things in schools and not portray these choices as being less because they don't always result in big money.

We of the boomer generation were indoctrinated to the wonders of space exploration and the notion of an endless abundance of life improving technology, did we see the fact of a negative side of technology? No we didn't until it showed it's ability to eat our collective lunch, jobs went to robotic workers, computers were finally recognized as a possible detriment to our youth with their fantasy violent games and meaningless groups of "friends" to relate to in the solitude of their bedrooms. I don't know if we can see the future as a nation of people who have learned anything from our past mistakes but I would hope that at the least we'd see the possibility of regaining some balance in the way we raise our kids. Our human society is not heralded as being the most important aspect of our achievements, instead we are giving our kids the notion that they must conform to the norms of financial achievement, more money is better, more social status is better, bigger houses are better, and those who don't believe this way are certainly to be looked down upon.

More reality and less fantasy, more frugality and less conspicuous consumption, less machismo for boys and less fairy tales for girls, more neighborhood gatherings and less "social networking", in short a return to something akin to those days when folks measured each other by their character and not by what they drove or where they lived. I don't blame the average working class kid who seems to be enthralled with the notion of things being more worthy than people, it IS the American way as depicted on the tube, seldom do we see the good stuff that is happening all around us, the news and Madison avenue have left us with the idea that WE as individuals are supreme, WE are only meaningful when we can attain that elusive status of wealth and importance. Until all that image nonsense that pervades America is greatly diminished we'll see more of those prima Donnas coming out of schools across the land with their expectations up and their abilities way down.
Interesting post, but we can't just go back to 1950. If nothing, life will be lived MORE virtually as time goes on than less.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:56 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,981,130 times
Goody good for you that you bought a fixer upper and restored it yourself. Not everybody has the skills to do that nor the time. Also depending were you live in the country, fixers are in bad neighborhoods. Anyway, they aren't always worth buying because they can become a money pit.

The fact is that things keep going up and paychecks don't. That's why it's becoming harder for people to stay ahead. Just because things are ok for you now, it doesnt mean that it will stay this way forever. Pride comes before the fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics