Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 11:25 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,153,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I am getting sick of reading thread after thread of my generation and younger whining and complaining about how it is impossible for them to get ahead (or even going) in today's word.
Yup, it is almost like it becomes a self-propagating cycle of defeatism, this poisonous attitude that everything isn't fair and college is a scam and the jobs are either outsourced or stolen by illegals. Usually followed by anecdotal reference to the guy they know with 3 masters degrees who is bagging groceries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 11:33 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,087,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Yup, it is almost like it becomes a self-propagating cycle of defeatism, this poisonous attitude that everything isn't fair and college is a scam and the jobs are either outsourced or stolen by illegals. Usually followed by anecdotal reference to the guy they know with 3 masters degrees who is bagging groceries.

So what about those who are not in debt, won't be in debt for school, have a high net worth for their age, and just don't like the position being forced upon them?

Old 06-01-2011, 03:44 AM

24,341 posts, read 22,891,284 times
You have to understand that we've raised generation Y to be perpetually 8 years old emotionally. Generation Next is about a 4 year old. They are spoiled, selfish, have poor social skills, have no discipline, self respect and can't relate to authority or understand what society expects or demands from them. Suddenly they don't get what they want and they throw tantrums. Or they just take it.
I just read about the thug behavior over the Memorial Day Weekend. People acting like animals and disrupting public events. Get used to it.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:21 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,153,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
So what about those who are not in debt, won't be in debt for school, have a high net worth for their age, and just don't like the position being forced upon them?
I don't understand what you mean by position being forced on them.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:04 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,953,955 times
I see this everywhere and I do think much of it is caused by us (the parents). Many of us grew up in tight times. We were expected to do jobs to earn cash for ourselves at a young age. Our parents were not as actively involved in every little thing we did and we managed for ourselves.

Then we became parents and said we didn't want that for our kids. We want to take BETTER care of them. So we worked our butts off and leveraged ourselves to have a nicer/bigger house, and to give our kids better toys/clothes, and we signed them up for every sport and went to all their practices and games. In other words, we showed them that other people should do everything for them and they should never have to do anything for themselves and life is good and food is plenty and there should always be luxury at their fingertips.

Then these kids we raised so nicely graduated from high school or college and we not prepared to 1)work hard 2)pay for things 3)be responsible for themselves. I will never forget my step-daughter calling me in tears when she was 20 and took a semester off college...and I quote "I had to work 8 hours today, it was horrible!". Yes darling, welcome to the real world.

Now I am an old parent of a 5-year old. He will not grow up with the entitled life and I assure you he will get to experience the value of a hard days work. It might make us feel good to do everything for our little ones, but it surely is NOT helping them get prepared for a good life as an adult. That is our job.

And for those of you in this generation that are out there working hard and doing well. Good for you!!! Just ignore all the comments about your generation as they don't apply.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:40 AM

98 posts, read 238,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
I see this everywhere and I do think much of it is caused by us (the parents). Many of us grew up in tight times. We were expected to do jobs to earn cash for ourselves at a young age. Our parents were not as actively involved in every little thing we did and we managed for ourselves.

Then we became parents and said we didn't want that for our kids. We want to take BETTER care of them. So we worked our butts off and leveraged ourselves to have a nicer/bigger house, and to give our kids better toys/clothes, and we signed them up for every sport and went to all their practices and games. In other words, we showed them that other people should do everything for them and they should never have to do anything for themselves and life is good and food is plenty and there should always be luxury at their fingertips.

Then these kids we raised so nicely graduated from high school or college and we not prepared to 1)work hard 2)pay for things 3)be responsible for themselves. I will never forget my step-daughter calling me in tears when she was 20 and took a semester off college...and I quote "I had to work 8 hours today, it was horrible!". Yes darling, welcome to the real world.

Now I am an old parent of a 5-year old. He will not grow up with the entitled life and I assure you he will get to experience the value of a hard days work. It might make us feel good to do everything for our little ones, but it surely is NOT helping them get prepared for a good life as an adult. That is our job.

And for those of you in this generation that are out there working hard and doing well. Good for you!!! Just ignore all the comments about your generation as they don't apply.
As a parent to a 1-yr old, this scares me. We are doing really well financially and sometimes I get comments from people saying that my kid will grow up entitled, spolied, etc.

We are not your typical parents who buys tons of toys/stuff for their kids. We didn't have a huge 1st bday party. We only bought a couple of gifts for birthday/christmas.

That being said, sometimes it worries me that those comments may come true. We live a simple life, but we live in an upscale neighborhood. We are also considering private school for our kid/s. I guess I just need to read more books on parenting and how to raise a responsible child.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:56 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,491,814 times
Mrs. Tek is a manger in a government position. There are several "Millennials" as she calls them that have been working there for about a year.

She notes:

They run in packs
They are always doing "something" with their Blackberry, or whatever version they have
They are very polite
They are hard workers
They are smart
They will sit down and play a game of cards (very important to us Boomers!)
She enjoys their company

I guess, like in every thing else, what you read is not always what you get...

Old 06-01-2011, 10:06 AM

874 posts, read 1,641,685 times
I don't even know what generation I am... I don't understand why they put us into categories, but it says here I'm categorized with 40 year olds... that's a strange system.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:09 AM

7,084 posts, read 12,013,186 times
Seriously, deal with it. People whine because it makes them feel better, it's free, and it takes little effort.

You can look back centuries and see the same crap. Hell I have an old (1284) Gutenburg book from Japan where the writer complains about the youth under "Lord Katsushige" that are filled with desire, greedy, indolent, and don't respect their elders. The youth supposedly complained they had it too hard, that all the opportunities were already gone, and borrow money to waste.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:38 AM

19,372 posts, read 12,020,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Mrs. Tek is a manger in a government position. There are several "Millennials" as she calls them that have been working there for about a year.

She notes:

They run in packs
They are always doing "something" with their Blackberry, or whatever version they have
They are very polite
They are hard workers
They are smart
They will sit down and play a game of cards (very important to us Boomers!)
She enjoys their company

I guess, like in every thing else, what you read is not always what you get...
So they are good soldiers as long as they are assigned the task at hand. What about creativity and innovation? Do they have the ability to self-motivate and think independently? Suppose they don't have a pack or a boomer around to give them support or praise. This is not a generation of leaders or free thinkers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics