Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 03:00 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,807,624 times

Advertisements

First off, I'm 33 years old, at the very tail-end of Gen X or the beginning of Y, depending on who's classification system you're using. I am getting sick of reading thread after thread of my generation and younger whining and complaining about how it is impossible for them to get ahead (or even going) in today's word.

They whine about how it's impossible to go to school without becoming a debt-slave, impossible to buy a house, impossible to raise a family, impossible to even get a job, ect, ect...

WTF is wrong with you people? I worked my way up in my job field from 11 dollars an hour to 24 now, put myself through college without taking out a loan, own a house that is worth more than 200K, have 2 cars (one paid for) 3 kids, no debt besides the mortage and car loan, a bunch of toys and my wife is even a stay at home mom. It wasn't hard.

Here's how: I did a good work and progressed in my job. I bought a fixer-upper house and restored it myself. I kept good credit so I get the best rates on loans. I lived within my means and didn't overextend myself early, so I would have more later. I budget.

Why is this "impossible" for so many people? Did your mommies not teach you how to be an adult? Are you unable to plan more than a week ahead? Stop whining! It's always been challenging to get a life started no matter what generation a person finds themselves in. If chango can do it, you are a sure bet!!!! Get out there and get to work!!!!!

Last edited by Chango; 05-31-2011 at 03:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 03:12 PM

2,256 posts, read 6,955,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
First off, I'm 33 years old, at the very tail-end of Gen X or the beginning of Y, depending on who's classification system you're using. I am getting sick of reading thread after thread of my generation and younger whining and complaining about how it is impossible for them to get ahead (or even going) in today's word.

They whine about how it's impossible to go to school without becoming a debt-slave, impossible to buy a house, impossible to raise a family, impossible to even get a job, ect, ect...

WTF is wrong with you people? I worked my way up in my job field from 11 dollars an hour to 24 now, put myself through college without taking out a loan, own a house that is worth more than 200K, have 2 cars (one paid for) 3 kids, no debt besides the mortage and car loan, a bunch of toys and my wife is even a stay at home mom. It wasn't hard.

Here's how: I did a good work and progressed in my job. I bought a fixer-upper house and restored it myself. I kept good credit so I get the best rates on loans. I lived within my means and didn't overextend myself early, so I would have more later. I budget.

Why is this "impossible" for so many people? Did your mommies not teach you how to be an adult? Are you unable to plan more than a week ahead? Stop whining! It's always been challenging to get a life started no matter what generation a person found themselves in. If chango can do it, you are a sure bet!!!! Get out there and get to work!!!!!
I agree with everything you said And yes whether you were trying to be sarcastic or not about mommies not teaching you how to be an adult, its the sad truth. I'm 29 myself and see so many spoiled kids of this generation in which mommy handed them everything. I identify so much better with the older generations. And I know it has everything to do with how I was brought up by my parents.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:14 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,124,163 times
(From someone who has spent too much time on the internet in the past week)

It 'started' with the Boomers whining on the retirement forum. (I'm a Medically Retired Marine)

Kicked off and went from there, just like this thread adds to it.

ETA:Cusp of "X and Y" here, with no debt, 6 figure assets, working on my degree and masters...

Old 05-31-2011, 03:34 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,993,789 times
Chango....A few generations ago, the behaviour and attitude you describe was the norm. Today, it is more of an abberration.

I'm a baby boomer myself, so I am not speaking as a member of gen-Y. However, I will offer my theory to your thread. I think it has to do with a high percentage of gen-Yers and their ability to see the man behind the curtain so to speak. They no longer believe in the wizards version of the american dream. They clearly see that the government is no longer a government of-by-for the people, but rather a government of-by-for special interests. They clearly see that the game is being played with a stacked deck, and it is not stacked in their favor. For the vast majority of them, no matter how hard they work, no matter how much education they obtain there are powerful counter forces ( special interests ) working against them. With insight like this, it is a real challange to cultivate the motivation to chase something as elusive as the american dream. Quite honestly, were I currently in my 20s, 30s, or 40s, instead of my early 60s, I would think long and hard about playing the game of working my butt off to get ahead. I would be more inclined to live simply and work as little as possible.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 05-31-2011 at 03:54 PM..

Old 05-31-2011, 03:50 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
I appreciate the OPs comments. As a younger boomer I am happy to see my kids doing fine despite this economy. The oldest is doing better than us at her age. At 30, married with a $500k house, spent a year living in Europe, and now starting a family, all done on their own with no financial help from us.

Some of her friends that are still living with their parents are the ones that got a brand new car at age 16 and never had to work for fun money.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:14 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,807,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Chango....A few generations ago, the behaviour and attitude you describe was the norm. Today, it is more of an abberration.

I'm a baby boomer myself, so I am not speaking as a member of gen-Y. However, I will offer my theory to your thread. I think it has to do with a high percentage of gen-Y and their ability to see the man behind the curtain so to speak. They no longer belive in the wizards version of the american dream. They clearly see that the government is no longer a government of-by-for the people, but rather a government of-by-for special interests. They clearly see that the game is being played with a stacked deck, and it is not stacked in their favor. For the vast majority of them, no matter how hard they work, no matter how much education they obtain there are powerful counter forces ( special interests ) working against them. With insight like this, it is a real challange to cultivate the motivation to chase something as elusive as the american dream. Quite honestly, were I currently in my 20s, 30s, or 40s, instead of my early 60s, I would think long and hard about playing the game of working my butt off to get ahead. I would be more inclined to live simply and work as little as possible.
I don't see my life as buying into the "american dream"... instead I've aimed to accomodate doing what I want, which is to raise a family, restore a historic house, learn stuff, be respectable, ect. I've honestly thought about dropping out of the rat race and living on my own terms, but it's not just me anymore; I don't think I could provide a decent enough life for my kids...

I think it was the norm back in your day because it worked. It made for healthy kids and a decent family life.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:46 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,632,923 times
Job security has declined over the past decade, and college prices have exploded. Naturally, that is going to have wide-ranging social consequences.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:13 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,292,176 times
This is a complicated issue, but in many ways I'm more inclined to side with Generation Y (also known as the Millenial Generation) than with my own generation, the Boomers.

I've seen too much over the years to sympathize much with my own generation. I've seen hordes of poorly educated Boomers swarm into easy government jobs at military bases and other governmental installations. Many of these people actually had an opportunity offered them by their employer to attend college at the employer's expense. You know what? Many turned that offer down. It was just too comfy to do warehouse work, common laboring, or truck driving at the inflated pay scale the government offered. Than they weren't satisfied with that. I've been stunned at the number who got out of the labor force by age 55 with a thirty year retirement. Than there were the "medical" retirements. Some of these folks because of alleged bad backs, or hearing loss, or even ulcers managed to retire early because of "health reasons".

On the other hand, my nineteen year old son and his friends work their butts off at the local college trying to find some major--any major--that represents a guarantee of employment on graduation. They aren't looking to make huge salaries right off. They just want to know that some job is out there after years of education and thousands of dollars in tuition have been spent.

The most important thing is not our generation raking the system for every dollar we think we are entitled too. The most important thing is establishing a framework that will allow social security and medicare to survive the heavy drain that will be made on both as more and more of us Boomers retire. Those benefits are there for all generations, not just ours.

We Boomers have a great deal living in the richest most powerful nation in the world during its most prosperous years. Instead of trying to "pig down" everything we can get our hands on we have a responsibility to show some stewardship for the benefit of future generations. I'm up for the task. How many other Boomers will follow me?

Old 05-31-2011, 07:54 PM

98 posts, read 239,171 times
I'm a Gen-Y and I hate reading all the Gen-Y complaints. Some of the complaints I do understand and sympathize, but some are just too much.

I went from $4.75 an hour to almost 10x that. I put myself to school and paid everything in cash. We are totally debt free, including our house.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:47 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,900,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muochoir View Post
I'm a Gen-Y and I hate reading all the Gen-Y complaints. Some of the complaints I do understand and sympathize, but some are just too much.

I went from $4.75 an hour to almost 10x that. I put myself to school and paid everything in cash. We are totally debt free, including our house.
Congratulations. Too bad there aren't more like you, especially the debt free part. Bravo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics