Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 10:23 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,288,689 times

Advertisements

Financially Fragile Households: Evidence and Implications

I have developed a reputation as kind of a "doomer" on this forum, but even I cannot believe this article.
To imagine these percentages of people are so close to homelessness is mind-blowing.
Inflation adjusted, $2000 is practically pocket money.
Do you believe we as a country are in such dire straits?
Do you think this article is credible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 10:55 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post

I've seen this number reported in a few other threads before yours.
I haven't looked at the detail or research.

That said... I have no doubt that it is higher today than before the depression started...
but I also suspect that this lack of ready cash problem is not significantly different (as a % etc) than it has been in years past.

The access to easy credit vs lack of savings problem that had been the norm for so many decades has this as it's legacy.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:36 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
but I also suspect that this lack of ready cash problem is not significantly different (as a % etc) than it has been in years past.
This. It would be interesting to know the answer to this question in, say, 2003. Or the answer in Canada right now.

As long as I've been reading financial articles on the internet there have been the occasional mind-blowing headline about savings rates, be it credit card balances or retirement savings etc. I'm not there is some sudden change with this headline that indicates dire straits that didn't exist before in some fashion, and that has been the case thru the economy good and bad.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:42 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Financially Fragile Households: Evidence and Implications

I have developed a reputation as kind of a "doomer" on this forum, but even I cannot believe this article.
To imagine these percentages of people are so close to homelessness is mind-blowing.

I dunno, all I saw was about 250 words, it says it'll cost $5 to read the whole thing.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:46 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I dunno, all I saw was about 250 words, it says it'll cost $5 to read the whole thing.
Are you saying that you can't come up with $5 ?

Old 05-26-2011, 12:31 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Are you saying that you can't come up with $5 ?

Actually I have$5 but right now I have no way to pay online. I lost my debit card yesterday, called my credit union to report it lost, they're sending me a new card but they canceled the old card and my PayPal account is connected to the old card.

Someone found my debit card and called my credit union, and the card was not used. But since it's been canceled I can't use it either.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:14 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Actually I have$5 but right now I have no way to pay online. I lost my debit card yesterday, called my credit union to report it lost, they're sending me a new card but they canceled the old card and my PayPal account is connected to the old card.

Someone found my debit card and called my credit union, and the card was not used. But since it's been canceled I can't use it either.
in case anyone was wondering about why they should keep some of their "emergency fund" money in cash at home.... here ya go.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:21 PM

44% of Americans unable to come up with a couple of grand without hocking something or borrowing it is really sad.
When you combine that statistic with the demographics of a rapidly aging population it becomes even sadder.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:03 PM

859 posts, read 2,828,901 times
I do know of a few people that don't have much in the way of saving but $2K is nothing these days. Hell I got that in my drawer at home as "spending money"

I don't think this article is anywhere near accurate.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johna01374 View Post
I do know of a few people that don't have much in the way of saving but $2K is nothing these days. Hell I got that in my drawer at home as "spending money"

I don't think this article is anywhere near accurate.

I agree, it seems like some kind of piece fabricated to make people feel better about themselves. Most people reading it are thinking that they may have problems but at least they are better off than those 44%. The same kind of thing behind Jerry Springer and Cops, (mental propaganda Prozac).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics