Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 02:54 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,211,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
That is irrelevant. Whether you adjust GDP for inflation or not, it can hide the fact that production is declining, not increasing.

Fuel prices and other things are exempted from inflation adjustments, so if UPS and FedEx have to raise their fuel surcharge and that causes more customers to flee to USPS for overnight delivery and UPS and FedEx take a drop in productivity as a result, you're saying that is a good thing. It is not.
That's not what you said. You're original post was discussing nominal GDP, not real GDP. It certainly does not hide the fact that production is declining. The whole point of calculating real GDP is figure out the total output of all goods and services produced. If fuel prices increase, demand and output will likely decrease.

When did I say a drop in productivity is a good thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 11:39 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,150,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
The whole point of calculating real GDP is figure out the total output of all goods and services produced.
No, GDP as it is calculated is a measure of how many times money changes hands.

If I win a product liability lawsuit and get a jury award of $300 Million, that is part of the GDP. The fact that I had 42 fewer lawsuits to file than the year before is not included, and in fact, there is no way to know that unless someone asks specifically if my law firm's billable hours increased or decreased.

Whether GDP is measured in 2011 Dollars, 2005 Dollars, 1940 Dollars, 2050 Dollars or measured in Yen or Pound Sterling doesn't change the fact that is not possible to tell if production is increasing or decreasing.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
No, GDP as it is calculated is a measure of how many times money changes hands.

If I win a product liability lawsuit and get a jury award of $300 Million, that is part of the GDP. The fact that I had 42 fewer lawsuits to file than the year before is not included, and in fact, there is no way to know that unless someone asks specifically if my law firm's billable hours increased or decreased.

Whether GDP is measured in 2011 Dollars, 2005 Dollars, 1940 Dollars, 2050 Dollars or measured in Yen or Pound Sterling doesn't change the fact that is not possible to tell if production is increasing or decreasing.
Take a course in macroeconomics because you have no idea what you're talking about.

Old 06-05-2011, 01:02 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,192,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i wonder where you pulled this stuff because this is such blatant bs scare tactics.
Google any part, his entire post is available for copying and pasting from various sites like economiccollapseblog.com, trustedbullion.com, warisacrime.org, thisistheendoftheworld.com, patriotactionnetwork, etc.

Just a bunch of garbage from organizations with a self-serving agenda or snipped with no context.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:33 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,285,342 times
Quote:
i wonder where you pulled this stuff because this is such blatant bs scare tactics. the condition of the roads wasnt "a significant factor" in the 43,000 traffic fatalities. when people start using dishonest propaganda, its time to question everything they say and wonder whats their purpose.
Really....the majorities of those fatalities probably happened during rush hour and were directly a result of highways incapable of adequately handling the amount of traffic.
Malfunctioning traffic lights are another conditional cause of accidents.
When cars slide off the road and crash because they are not being plowed is that insignificant?
While a pothole may be a hazard for an automobile what effect do you think it has on a motorcycle? Do you think the family of the motorcyclist who dies because they hit a pothole thinks his death wasn't significant?
Have you ever driven the freeways in Los Angeles? Not only is traffic horrendous, the potholes and sinking sections can literally knock the air out of your tires, or damage steering / suspension components.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:20 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,669,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Really....the majorities of those fatalities probably happened during rush hour and were directly a result of highways incapable of adequately handling the amount of traffic.
i find it impressive that you are actually supporting that blatant line of bs.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:57 AM

14,450 posts, read 20,627,395 times
some fatal accidents are caused by the poor conditions of some roads.
some are suicide, we had a teen cut in front of a dump truck.
some are alcohol and drug related.
many, many, many, have nothing to do with GDP.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:01 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,285,342 times
Quote:
i find it impressive that you are actually supporting that blatant line of bs.
What do you dispute? That most accedents happen durring rush hours, or that the highway system is capable of handling the traffic?

Old 06-06-2011, 10:38 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,669,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
What do you dispute? That most accedents happen durring rush hours, or that the highway system is capable of handling the traffic?
i dispute that crumbling roads are the cause of many car accidents.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:27 PM

I don't dispute that our infrastructure needs repairs, but many accidents are simply caused by driver incompentence and distraction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics