Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2011, 05:10 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,873,116 times

Advertisements

What is their actual purpose? Protecting the public against abusive business practices, or shielding mega corporations against competition from upstarts/small businesses via barriers of entry into the marketplace. Considering that many of the people running our regulatory agencies have ties to mega corporations, not to mention all the lobbyists with politicians in their hip pocket, I think the answer is self evident to the person without bias.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 07:31 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
Yes all regulations are bad. Horrible. Not sure why anyone would ever want them.

Those regulations that make sure a company isn't putting melamine in baby formula? Let's get rid of that.

Regulations that ground beef should be recalled if it is filled with e. coli? That weak regulation should be completely taken off the books.

Regulations that doctors should actually know how to practice medicine? Totally bad, I want a schizophrenic in a lab coat treating me.

Regulations that pharmacological products actually have what they should and works? Horrible, I demand Chinese newspaper and goat poo in my drugs.

Regulations to test and validate surgical options? Nope, I want to be implanted with goat testicles.

Certainly shouldn't regulate the dumping of industrial chemicals (accident from today) into water supplies. It makes the water taste yummy.

Last edited by subsound; 06-07-2011 at 08:47 AM..

Old 06-10-2011, 09:16 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,903,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
What is their actual purpose? Protecting the public against abusive business practices, or shielding mega corporations against competition from upstarts/small businesses via barriers of entry into the marketplace. Considering that many of the people running our regulatory agencies have ties to mega corporations, not to mention all the lobbyists with politicians in their hip pocket, I think the answer is self evident to the person without bias.
It is actually the government's job to foster competition although they have failed miserably at it for the past many years. For example, the government went to lots of time and expense to break up the AT&T telephone monopoly and now it is allowing it to reform again. The government expanded cellular licenses and we went from 2 companies and very high prices to 6 national companies with low prices and innovation. Now soon we will back to only 2 again which are the same 2 we started out with.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:42 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
The purpose is the former, namely protecting the public (and employees) against business practices especially in areas where they can't expect be to make informed choices (medicine). But, large established companies will use regulations as a tool to increase barriers of entry and hence reduce competition.

The solution isn't to remove regulations, instead, its to prevent companies from using them to reduce competition.

I have always found this as one of the ironic ways corporations manipulate liberal politicians into support pro-corporate agendas though.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:01 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Well, to be sure, the public needs to be protected from abusive business practices.

We found it necessary to make and enforce laws that protected the public from murder, rape, theft, burglary, embezzlement, larceny, fraud. Those are "regulations" that protect us from abuses by individuals, the same as the ones that protect us from corporate entities who have s self-interest in abusing the privileges of freedom and lack the ethics that a free society takes for granted.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:33 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,650,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Well, to be sure, the public needs to be protected from abusive business practices.

We found it necessary to make and enforce laws that protected the public from murder, rape, theft, burglary, embezzlement, larceny, fraud. Those are "regulations" that protect us from abuses by individuals, the same as the ones that protect us from corporate entities who have s self-interest in abusing the privileges of freedom and lack the ethics that a free society takes for granted.
Except it is the government that is enforcing regulations, and they aren't any better than anyone else.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:37 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,546,851 times
Back towards the OP -- exactly what regulations are you asking about, anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics