Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 09:07 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by long101 View Post
Its kind of sad that all of the video stores have closed. I remember the typical family night of going to the local video store and looking at the back of every VHS to make a selection. I think through the next decade we will see specialized stores start to diminish. For example, the three large office supply stores, Officemax, Office Depot, and Staples. They wont all be around in 10 years, or there main business wont be retail shops. All 3 of them are putting more resources into online business outlets. Places like this have lost so much market share to the Walmarts and Targets.
That just brought back some good memories. But those days are gone.

I love book stores and can't imagine them ceasing to exist. I would hope there'll be enough demand for books. Call me old fashioned, but I would rather read an actual book than a kindle.

There's a CD store in my town that's still open. I actually bought a couple CDs there within the past year. I doubt they'll be around much longer though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 03:42 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,020,875 times
Anything that caters to the vanishing middle-class has a target on it. Mid-range furniture and clothing stores like Bassett and Men's Wearhouse. What's left will be an ever expanding presence of stores from each side of the SE spectrum, such as Neiman Marcus and Walmart.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:44 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,763,183 times
I also heard that many department stores are going for smaller sizes to fit in smaller markets. Macy's has slowly moved from 150,000 sq. ft. to 120,000 sq. ft. to 100,000 sq. ft. stores. I think they might go for smaller eventually. Perhaps Macy's under 100,000 sq. ft. and be around 80,000 sq. ft. and 90,000 sq. ft.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:04 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,373,554 times
Best Buy is at risk. It has a lot of debt, people are buying fewer and fewer things on physical media, and electronics sales are slumping because of the economy and people are generally okay with what they currently have for the time being.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:08 PM

707 posts, read 1,293,525 times
For clothing stores, keep your eyes on GAP.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:23 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,154,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
That just brought back some good memories. But those days are gone.

I love book stores and can't imagine them ceasing to exist. I would hope there'll be enough demand for books. Call me old fashioned, but I would rather read an actual book than a kindle.

There's a CD store in my town that's still open. I actually bought a couple CDs there within the past year. I doubt they'll be around much longer though.
Yes, I remember those good ole days of browsing the video store, being mad cuz all 20 copies of the lastest movie were gone already

Call me crazy but I'd rather read an actual book too.

And the music stores -I remember Sam Goody.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:03 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,568,977 times
Sears and/or KMart would be on my list.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:59 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,396,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
Best Buy is at risk. It has a lot of debt, people are buying fewer and fewer things on physical media, and electronics sales are slumping because of the economy and people are generally okay with what they currently have for the time being.
I wouldn't worry over much about Best Buy - they are well diversified. They own alot more than just their BB stores.

They also own Napster, Pacific Sales, Geek Squad, The Carpet Warehouse, etc... Lots of things that people aren't aware of....

Family member who is "high up" in their company gave me a spa facial for a gift.... turns out that they got a deal on gift certificates because BB had just bought the spa company.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:53 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
I have read recently that the very wealthy in this country have still been patronizing 'upscale' stores such as Nordstrom's, Neiman Marcus, and even I suppose, Macy's. That might be one reason why you still see these going strong, while places like Sears and JCPenny are struggling. If the common man shops there (e.g. not a millionaire), chances are it will go under before all of this is over.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:32 PM

493 posts, read 980,967 times
Sears/KMart, bookstores like Borders/B&N, video rental stores and entertainment stores (FYE, etc) are all highly on the bubble I would say. A lot of 'specialty' stores are also at risk, people really like 1 stop shopping. A few clothing stores will have to go, there are just way too many for the market to support.

Best Buy isn't going anywhere, Wal-Mart Target and Meijer are all safe, I think Staples and Office Depot are fine, but Office Max probably won't survive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics