Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 08:50 PM

243 posts, read 547,551 times

Advertisements

Getting rid of the EPA would allow polluters to offload costs to communities, the federal government, and other businesses. The cost of pollution and cleanup would fall on citizens who live in polluted areas, and affect businesses such as fisheries.

Removing necessary regulation would not help the economy. Gains to some would be more than offset by rising health costs on others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 09:08 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarlm View Post
Getting rid of the EPA would allow polluters to offload costs to communities, the federal government, and other businesses. The cost of pollution and cleanup would fall on citizens who live in polluted areas, and affect businesses such as fisheries.

Removing necessary regulation would not help the economy. Gains to some would be more than offset by rising health costs on others.
The MTR areas of KY, WV, VA also have some of the worst poverty rates in the eastern US, lowest life expectancies, and most imperiled natural resources. More of the same only means increasing poverty and not prosperity.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:45 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Like the Department of Education, the EPA hasn't been in existence that long. Has education improved compared to other countries since we had the Department of Education? Noooooo. Then why are we spending our tax dollars on them?

Is anything better since we had the EPA? Get rid of those job killers. Just take a look at how impotent they were during the Gulf Oil Spill because all they are, are a bunch of suits. Fish and Wildlife does a decent job. Other environmental parts of the government also do a fairly decent job. The EPA, and their miles of regulation, not at all.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:18 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,184,746 times
Do Americans want clean air and water?
Sometimes, I think not.
In two years (if everything works out) I plan to retire in Europe. So, my view is: Go ahead America! Tear up everything for resources, dump waste wherever you want, dirty up the lakes, rivers, and streams. Profits trump everything!
My only hope is that all the pollution stays within in America, so enjoy yourselves! My only sympathies are for the wildlife that have the misfortune to be on the same continent with the anti-environmental nuts.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:15 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Like the Department of Education, the EPA hasn't been in existence that long. Has education improved compared to other countries since we had the Department of Education? Noooooo. Then why are we spending our tax dollars on them?

Is anything better since we had the EPA? Get rid of those job killers. Just take a look at how impotent they were during the Gulf Oil Spill because all they are, are a bunch of suits. Fish and Wildlife does a decent job. Other environmental parts of the government also do a fairly decent job. The EPA, and their miles of regulation, not at all.
You have no idea how bad some MTR counties are. I highly doubt you have done much traveling in the US or are blind to the realities.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:18 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
when given the proper tools, the EPA has been effective at it's job.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:06 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
The cleanup of toxic/hazardous/pollution sites is not done by the EPA, it's done by people hired for that purpose. That's creating jobs. I'm somewhat involved with a few projects, and there are now a large number of companies that specialize in that work, that hire environmental people, engineers, clerical staff, and then contract with other business to help do the work.

My only problem is with the multiple layers of governmental control that are mixed up in it. This should be a local responsibility. Besides the U.S. the EPA there is the state EPA, state department of natural resources, county and city natural resources, and probably others I'm missing.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:08 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
If EPA regualtions were designed to reduce pollution it would be one thing. But many business interests get involved with rule making that it isn't always the best application of science. See ethanol or the MTBE rules.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:21 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
My only problem is with the multiple layers of governmental control that are mixed up in it. This should be a local responsibility. Besides the U.S. the EPA there is the state EPA, state department of natural resources, county and city natural resources, and probably others I'm missing.
yeah, it seems like there are a lot of duplicate departments for each level of government.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:28 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
Well that is pretty much a loser for the Republicans. Yes people want jobs but they also tend to like clean air and clean water. The EPA should probably be put on a shorter leash and it should be required to do a cost/benefit study of any regulation it has. But no, it should not be eliminated.
Good points - EPA sets many standards without any cost-benefit analysis, such as their current jihad on mercury emissions from coal-fired power plants - currently plants put out something like 1% of what comes from volcanoes and other natural sources, but that's not good enough for the tree-huggers, cut it to .0001%, and damn the cost.

That said I am old enough to remember Atlanta air back in the mid-60's, it was pretty bad. And the rivers that caught on fire.

So, at first they were making important and effective changes to the emissions of "stuff" into the environment, and were improving things. But the closest thing to eternal life on earth is a government program once set up, so they still have people chasing for example car emissions when since the mid-80's cars have been putting out way less than 5% of what they did in the 60's. At some point you need to declare victory and quit spending money on a "problem" that's been for all practical purposes solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics