U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 03:28 PM

35 posts, read 65,699 times

Advertisements

Does anybody here work in IT? I want to know what your thoughts are on IT certifications. Are they worth it at all? I have a lot of experience, but I'm beginning to think that the certifications will help me get the foot in the door.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 04:28 PM

12,671 posts, read 21,988,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayWatson View Post
Does anybody here work in IT? I want to know what your thoughts are on IT certifications. Are they worth it at all? I have a lot of experience, but I'm beginning to think that the certifications will help me get the foot in the door.
I do. Its only worth it if your company guarantees a certain amount of salary for certain amount of time.

Which certs do you have now?

Old 06-23-2011, 04:49 PM

493 posts, read 860,253 times
Depends on the cert and the job. Are you looking at a PHP developer or database administrator? An Oracle DBA cert would look great. The W3Schools PHP cert, not so much. A+ is losing a lot of clout, but still good in some fields.

Another thing to consider, some companies will throw your resume out if you have a/too many certs. If they want to pay say 50K a year and you have 5 certs, they may be afraid you will not be happy with their offer and skip over you.

As a general rule, the bigger name certs are worth more, Oracle, Cisco, Microsoft, etc. Smaller names typically have less clout and can even appear like nothing more than fluff.

I do not have any certs right now, and out of all the people at the company I work for, only the Systems Admin has any certs.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:07 PM

35 posts, read 65,699 times
I have a degree in Computer science and IT, but having tried my hand at a few programming gigs, I have to say that I don't like the corporate culture (Its like being handcuffed to a desk with a gun to your head for eight hours) or being locked in a cubicle for 6 to 8 hours a day. I have become more social and think that the "IT" portion of the discipline is more appealing to me than writing valuable programs for someone else only to be paid peanuts (There are no programming certifications that I know of.) As of now, I am working towards CCNA (as well as the security concentration) and would probably do Oracle and Microsoft as well.

I skipped over A+ because a lot of what the exam covers is many years behind (sometimes as much as ten) doesn't seem very useful

If anybody has a CCNA or beyond, how long did you spend on studying for the exam?

Old 06-23-2011, 08:48 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,723,633 times
You want Cisco and Microsoft if possible. A+ used to be heavy but not so much anymore. I have both.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:51 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,723,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awestover89 View Post
Depends on the cert and the job. Are you looking at a PHP developer or database administrator? An Oracle DBA cert would look great. The W3Schools PHP cert, not so much. A+ is losing a lot of clout, but still good in some fields.

Another thing to consider, some companies will throw your resume out if you have a/too many certs. If they want to pay say 50K a year and you have 5 certs, they may be afraid you will not be happy with their offer and skip over you.

As a general rule, the bigger name certs are worth more, Oracle, Cisco, Microsoft, etc. Smaller names typically have less clout and can even appear like nothing more than fluff.

I do not have any certs right now, and out of all the people at the company I work for, only the Systems Admin has any certs.
If they want to pay me 50K a year I would probably skip over them unless they also had a killer benefit package.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:19 PM

493 posts, read 860,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
If they want to pay me 50K a year I would probably skip over them unless they also had a killer benefit package.
I took 40K and mediocre benefits straight out of college and wouldn't trade it for another job unless the salary was leagues better. I love programming, love the people I work with, and it doesn't feel like an 8 hour day chained to my cubicle. We've even played frisbee once in the office because my boss thought the programmers were spending too much time stagnantly sitting at their computers, and we still managed to roll out the latest project ahead of client expectations.

Salary isn't everything, and for a fresh college grad in a job that I absolutely love, 40K is more than plenty. But, this is getting off of topic and is neither here nor there.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:52 PM

It comes down to who you know not what you know.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:48 PM

8,265 posts, read 11,229,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
It comes down to who you know not what you know.
It is a combination of both. If everyone you know knows that you are worthless, knowing all those people doesn't help.

Good results + knowing people = win.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
It is a combination of both. If everyone you know knows that you are worthless, knowing all those people doesn't help.

Good results + knowing people = win.
Knowing all those people gets you in and they will train you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics