Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 03:41 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times

Advertisements

People around here, many who never thought they would, are starting to look at more meatless diets and also cutting back on the huge American consumption of milk and cheese (expensive items, and it's a myth that those are the only sources of good quality calcium and protein).'

Even grain and veggie/bean eaters are seeing higher food costs, but at least eating this way, without processed/packaged food and animal food, keep you a few steps ahead of the game.

Teach your kids to grow some of their own foods, even in their backyard. You can grow high-protein grains (for making delicious cooked cereal) like amaranth and quinoia in your backyard. Of course you have to thresh them but the day may come....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 04:02 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
People around here, many who never thought they would, are starting to look at more meatless diets and also cutting back on the huge American consumption of milk and cheese (expensive items, and it's a myth that those are the only sources of good quality calcium and protein).'
I never ate meat 7 days a week until I had 21 years and entered military service.

I still don't eat meat every day. I have Black Beans & Rice or Red Beans & Rice once or twice a week or a salad and then when I do eat meat, it's usually what you all would call scraps, like hog maws and pig brains and stuff like that. And fish, usually Chilean Sea Bass, cod or tilapia.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:14 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
It probably differs between different folks but, as I have grown older, I find that I have lost much of my taste for meat, especially beef. I still eat a lot of chicken but some nights my dinner is simply a burrito made from frijoles, chopped onion and a smigeon of taco sauce or just a tossed lettuce salad. Refried beans are the cheapest meal one can find; and tasty to boot.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:09 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Wyandotte is up and coming.

I'm generally hard-pressed to say good things about government competance but the folks running the show up in Wyandotte have been nothing short of brilliant.
They have a long way to go however, a non-farm employment gain of 5% between 2000-2008 is not too spectacular. Wichita metro is floundering, Topeka is a mess, and the college towns need more employment for students who have to deal with exponentially increasing tuition rates and other expenses. Kansas also has not seen the energy economy expand like the rest of the Plains states during the prior decade.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:15 PM

3 posts, read 8,437 times
Food prices are also rising fast here because of inflation. I am from China.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:24 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,929,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
No, it's the truth. Your idiots at your idiot web-site are unable to distinguish from various types of inflation. When Benanke talks about inflation, he is talking about Real Inflation, not Cost Inflation.

If that is true, then why isn't the price of everything, as in every thing, rising?

Because there is no Real Inflation. Cost Inflation only affects certain commodities which are in shortage for any number of reasons.

Iron production plummeted, because once you mine the core vein, that's what happens. As a result, the price of iron rose. It has nothing to do with QEI or QEII or the central bank or the US Dollar. It has to do with the fact that there is a shortage of iron, but demand continues to remain high.

Cotton crops were devastated by infestations, drought and bad weather. There is a shortage, but demand remains high, so cotton prices rise, and so do the price of clothes. It has nothing to do with QEI or QEII or the central bank or the US Dollar.

Unfortunately, you and your moron idiot friends can't grasp that very simple concept, probably because your hatred of a monetary system that you don't understand blinds you.

As I said, when there is Real Inflation that is out of control, you will know, because the price of everything, and I do mean every single thing, will rise.
From your choice of words, um you are the one that seems to have some "hatin" goin on.

Old 09-24-2013, 05:00 PM

524 posts, read 843,260 times
yikes. Food prices are always going up. Right now it is the worst I have ever seen but there are alternatives out there in farmer's markets and food swap groups. People are always willing to trade. Eggs for bacon, canned goods for perishables. It is still out there-the new grassroots movement

Old 09-24-2013, 08:50 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Chicken thighs.....$2.49 a pound, WTF???????

I used to regularly buy yummy chicken thighs on sale for 79 cents a pound.

So much for this great Osama economy!

Old 09-25-2013, 04:06 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,730,510 times
Guess what chickens eat?

Ethanol subsidies began in 2005 in response to lobby efforts.

Study: Ethanol Mandates Causing Spiraling U.S. Food Prices | Heartlander Magazine

Ethanol Lobbyist Admits Subsidies Designed to Raise Corn Prices | Washington Free Beacon

"There’s very little question about whether or not ethanol subsidies and related mandates, which essentially pay farmers to grow fuel instead of food, drive up the price of food. Ethanol policy hits corn directly, but because corn is so integral to the rest of the food production process, a rise in the price of corn quickly results in a rise in the price of other farm commodities such as meat, poultry, dairy, and soy products. When the Congressional Budget Office looked at the impact of ethanol subsidies on overall food prices between April 2007 and April 2008, the nonpartisan scorekeeper found that 10-15 percent of the 5.1 percent rise in food prices, as measured by the Consumer Price Index, could be attributed to ethanol subsidies.
The CBO noted at the time that it was difficult to precisely estimate the impact of ethanol subsidies going forward. But in early 2011, corn prices spiked after a crop shortage, which many analysts expected to translate into higher food prices. And over the years, ethanol subsidies, along with a renewable fuel standard which pushes energy producers to include ethanol in their products, has resulted in what the Farm Foundation describes as a “persistent demand shock.” Some 40 percent of the nation’s annual corn crop is now redirected into ethanol production."

Last edited by shaker281; 09-25-2013 at 04:33 AM..

Old 09-25-2013, 08:33 AM

20,706 posts, read 19,349,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivia from lanyardtimes View Post
Food prices are also rising fast here because of inflation. I am from China.
If its from inflation then food isn't rising in price relative to anything else hence no food problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics