Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 02:58 AM

165 posts, read 304,808 times

Advertisements

I sure hope your right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 01:26 PM

Job Growth Falters Badly, Clouding Hope for Recovery

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/09/bu...mc=rss&src=igw

Old 07-08-2011, 01:41 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
USA is by far #1. China is way behind.

Look at the GDP numbers.
I have faith in our gov't.
I don't always have faith in our government, but I will always have faith in our people. The young group now is a little whiny and spoiled, but are still survivors and they will figure out how to get back on top because they are smart and determined. We've had tough times in America before and we always made it through. We will make it through this one as well. (Maybe not in the lap of luxury....but we WILL make it. )

Old 07-08-2011, 02:06 PM

I agree with that ten fold Glory. That is our only hope and I do like what I am seeing out of the younger generation intelligence and awareness wise. The only thing missing IMO is some better work ethic but that's to be expected when technology and society has gotten this far.

Drugs are in all honesty the biggest hurdle for this generation as I'm part of it and have seen this all first hand. Acid is making a BIG come back. It's opening eyes but at the same time people are still too drawn to party culture. I just hope they grow out of it quick like I did so we can start to turn this country around.

Our elders sure left us quite the task

Old 07-09-2011, 02:34 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,920,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claycassden View Post
I agree with that ten fold Glory. That is our only hope and I do like what I am seeing out of the younger generation intelligence and awareness wise. The only thing missing IMO is some better work ethic but that's to be expected when technology and society has gotten this far.

Drugs are in all honesty the biggest hurdle for this generation as I'm part of it and have seen this all first hand. Acid is making a BIG come back. It's opening eyes but at the same time people are still too drawn to party culture. I just hope they grow out of it quick like I did so we can start to turn this country around.

Our elders sure left us quite the task
Drugs are always going to create problems, I'll agree with you there. But I don't think that the situation with young people today is anywhere near as bad as it was with other generations. The hippies of the 60s were much worse, and I'd even say that cocaine's rein in the 80s was worse.

Of course, that's just my impression.

Old 07-09-2011, 02:37 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,920,873 times
Quote:
Used books are much cheaper on Ebay. You can just share books with your friends.
These are great bits of advice. Half of the books I was "required" to buy, I barely ever had to use. Buying new isn't worth the cost, and sharing with a friend is a great idea (especially for those classes that aren't heavily reliant on the book).

Old 07-09-2011, 02:54 AM

1,245 posts, read 2,211,644 times
Quote:
Quit spending and you won't be poor.
Being smart with your income is vital, yes I agree, but spending is just part of the equation (hint: income). If you have low income, you're really desperate to change that.

Old 07-09-2011, 05:46 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,808,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
These are great bits of advice. Half of the books I was "required" to buy, I barely ever had to use. Buying new isn't worth the cost, and sharing with a friend is a great idea (especially for those classes that aren't heavily reliant on the book).
College is a business. They want YOUR money and do not care about your education.

Old 07-09-2011, 05:47 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,808,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poletop1 View Post
Being smart with your income is vital, yes I agree, but spending is just part of the equation (hint: income). If you have low income, you're really desperate to change that.
You can still adjust your lifestyle based on low income. There are people doing OK with minimum wage out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics