Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 10:36 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,884,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
well, it depends on how much value you believe you get from increased federal government spending. dont forget, every state has their own governments and many of them already have departments that are the same at the federal level. so do you really need a $50 billion federal department for something that already exists in every state? i dont think so.

federal work is just a make-work sector to waste money in order to produce unnecessary jobs. so in my opinion, spending is the issue. no need to collect revenue when id rather americans spend their own earnings as they choose rather than federal government spending our money the way some corrupt politicians think it should be spent (to enrich themselves and to focus on their priorities and the priorities of a small group of people).
I guess I'd rather see open-book budgets in general -- show the good and the bad and let the public decide what to do. I don't ever know what gets spent on what, and I think the govt. prefers it that way. I mean, who LIKES to be scrutinized. But at least if it's open-book, you have nothing to hide and everyone benefits (I mean, right?).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 10:52 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,805,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Agree 100%! It all started, IMO, with the housing bubble/bust when the Bush Admin. lowered int. rates and pushed housing as a place to invest money. I kept saying what you just said: all we are doing is prolonging the inevitable, which is a big recession or depression. Let's just take the big hit and recover already instead of dragging it along soft, but SLOW!

The problem is, I don't know how BAD things could have been if we just let the economy crash fast and hard. I'm not sure society could handle the impact, which is why I think the govt. did what it did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Actually it started with the first Bush when the first cycle of lowering interest rates and artificially raising property values.

Just to clarify, the Bush administration, or any administration, does not control interest rates.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:58 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,369,005 times
not to nit-pic

They are no longer the Bush Tax cuts, they now belong to Obama, please refer to them in that manner.
Thanks

Old 07-09-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
Just to clarify, the Bush administration, or any administration, does not control interest rates.
Not directly, but yes they do....

Old 07-09-2011, 07:28 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,721,342 times
the bush tax cuts were good except for the fact that they resulted in increased revenue to the federal government. taxes need to be cut and revenue to the federal government needs to go down.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:07 PM

"go down"? How so? Disappear altogether? I hope not!

Old 07-11-2011, 07:01 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,292,547 times
Quote:
Not directly, the Fed does that, but the Fed does follow monetary policy which is dictated by the people who appoint the members of the Fed.
Both the Fed and the White House serve the same masters.
And those masters are not the people.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:23 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,805,984 times
Quote:
Not directly, the Fed does that, but the Fed does follow monetary policy which is dictated by the people who appoint the members of the Fed.
Both the Fed and the White House serve the same masters.
And those masters are not the people.
You do realize that the people who are appointed to the Fed's board of governors are appointed for 14-year terms? Only Ben Bernanke and Elizabeth Duke are the only ones who was appointed by President Bush (and confirmed by the Senate). Three of the other ones were appointed by Obama. Two seats are currently vacant.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:33 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,292,547 times
Quote:
You do realize that the people who are appointed to the Fed's board of governors are appointed for 14-year terms? Only Ben Bernanke and Elizabeth Duke are the only ones who was appointed by President Bush (and confirmed by the Senate). Three of the other ones were appointed by Obama. Two seats are currently vacant.
Do you realize the Fed is the tool of Wall St, and the banking establishment?
When Goldman snaps there fingers, the Fed heals like a well-trained dog.
Independent Fed my ass.
Only the most simple minded, completely naive person in the world would believe that one.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Do you realize the Fed is the tool of Wall St, and the banking establishment?
When Goldman snaps there fingers, the Fed heals like a well-trained dog.
Independent Fed my ass.
Only the most simple minded, completely naive person in the world would believe that one.

Haha, agreed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics