Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 07:30 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,627,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
As things stand in Washington right now, we might get to see how seriously we take these rating agencies if they downgrade the U.S. I honestly don't think the credit rating agencies "opinions" will be the major factor of why the market will negatively towards U.S. currency/debt. Granted I agree with you if nothing happens by august 2nd in the very short-term (talking in scale of weeks) there will be repercussions across the world market.

I think in the very short-term the market will be scared of U.S. debt/currency but not because of the rating agencies say to be. It will more driven by political uncertainty than the actual financial situation (bad as it might be) of the U.S. As soon as the political situation is solved soon afterward the fear will leave the markets and things go back to status quo. Even if we are still downgraded at that point. Risk appetite will be back on and we'll keep chugging along.
Also being the Reserve currency has it perks. There is, as I see it, no real alternative at this point to the USD. So I don't think the world is going to allowfor, as you have stated in an earlier post, a "major devaluation” in the currency. At least not yet (perhaps in the future.) After this political mess though, there maybe a serious move to look for a different currency or basket of currencies as the reserve currency. If that happens, then things will get interesting.
And the sad thing is we created this mess here just in the last couple of months. Yes our debt is something that needs to be worked out, but that debt alone is not scaring off any investors. However when Republicans decided to tie the debt ceiling raising (which has ALWAYS been nothing more than a routine thing with not much debate), turning this into a political crisis everyone around the world has become scared of investing here due to this small real threat of default. Thank you, Republicans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 08:11 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Actually our debt is crushing us because of the artificially low interest rates the Fed has been supporting. If we allowed inflation at 5-7% for 10 years the debt would be manageable

Old 07-27-2011, 08:52 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Actually our debt is crushing us because of the artificially low interest rates the Fed has been supporting. If we allowed inflation at 5-7% for 10 years the debt would be manageable
because our money would lose value. thats brilliant.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:17 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
because our money would lose value. thats brilliant.
It's what Reagan did

I prospered under Carter and Reagan, if I could get bank CDs at 5% I'd live on my savings. Falling wages are the biggest threat we face

Old 07-30-2011, 09:07 AM

298 posts, read 565,493 times
There is a very interesting article on naked capitalism called "Is Standard & Poor's manipulating US debt ratings to escape liability for the mortgage crisis". I'm on my iPhone and couldn't post the link. It lays out a timeline and discussed the Dodd-Frank bill as it pertains to the credit agencies and political retaliation as a possible reason for the downgrade. Very interesting. Check it out.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:47 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,510,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katfzl View Post
There is a very interesting article on naked capitalism called "Is Standard & Poor's manipulating US debt ratings to escape liability for the mortgage crisis". I'm on my iPhone and couldn't post the link. It lays out a timeline and discussed the Dodd-Frank bill as it pertains to the credit agencies and political retaliation as a possible reason for the downgrade. Very interesting. Check it out.
“Is Standard and Poor

Just to follow up on your post.

Just a warning to the folks of CD, This is a blog and definitely has an agenda.
Note: during and at the end of the article it is put forth a petition.

Quote:
Sign our petition to the SEC: Revoke S&P’s authority as a credit ratings agency for their use of ratings as a political weapon and their attempt to avoid responsibility for their role in the financial crisis of 2008.
With that said. I say (I speak only for me) the article/posting was good and I found it to be sourced well. Worth a read through.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
(which has ALWAYS been nothing more than a routine thing with not much debate),
thats a problem, the federal government shouldnt be able to hold any debt.

btw, this isnt a crisis. the size of our debt is a crisis, not whether or not we raise the debt limit. everything obama wants to do becomes a big crisis and legislation absolutely must be passed immediately. the stimulus was a crisis and we had to pass it immediately. all the sudden healthcare became a crisis and we needed to pass that load of crap.

the crisis is coming, but its not because we may not raise the debt limit.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:37 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,548,273 times
Quote:
thats a problem, the federal government shouldnt be able to hold any debt.
Real question? So how would your Tea Party fund a War?

I guess they could not do like Bush 2 (the liberal, correct?) and the Republican Congress did -- which was to not even put it on the budget and instead roll it straight in the overall debt?

Would the Tea Party (egad) raise Taxes to fund a War?

Old 07-30-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Real question? So how would your Tea Party fund a War?

Would the Tea Party (egad) raise Taxes to fund a War?
its kind of funny how you pretend as if the only way to fund a war is with debt. there are a variety of ways, i dont see much point in going through them here. but better to tax for a war than to raise debt and put the burden on future taxpayers. debt is a tax.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:46 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,548,273 times
Quote:
i dont care.
Wow, you guys are some real deep long term planners and thinkers.

Collectively, you all may be more dangerous to US than most anyone is aware.

Thanks for the honest answer. Seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics