Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 11:42 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,508,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
look at how pathetically weak the militaries of the european countries are. they cant even come close to putting together a reasonable offensive to end the rule of a libyan dictator. its laughable. we are subsidizing the militaries of the rest of the world and its time to end. we should drop out of NATO and drop out of the UN and let the other countries spend their own money appopriately to deal with their own problems. if that means europe is destroyed, thats not america's problem. we are thousands of mile away.
Do you understand they (European Military) have been left intentionally weak and crippled by US since WW2, so that we could dominate the world?

Do you understand that the UN operates from the US, and is our creation? And that US has a permanent seat on the top control?

The conditions you are describing were undertaken with great effort and intent by US. The US is not some victim in this -- but rather the intentional cause.

As far as 1000's of miles . . . that is about 15 minutes away as the ICBM flies. Do you understand why our top end wants (and believes it needs) to dominate and control all this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 11:45 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,524,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
The "Tea Party" cuff and collars to do not match. Some say one thing, some say another. The official unofficial Tea Party version.
thats because the tea party isnt an official party and there is no official tea party version. the tea party is a movement with many different voices.

what makes you think i dont know that i am basically a libertarian? there is a lot of overlap in libertarian positions and conservative positions. i dont consider myself a "republican."

the reason this is a tough fight is because politicians (on both sides) do not want to lose their power to spend taxpayer money. government is corrupt and the best thing we can do is reduce their power by reducing their spending. the tea party politicians in the house right now are the only people fighting for taxpayers.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Do you understand they (European Military) have been left intentionally weak and crippled by US since WW2, so that we could dominate the world?

Do you understand that the UN operates from the US, and is our creation? And that US has a permanent seat on the top control?

The conditions you are describing were undertaken with great effort and intent by US. The US is not some victim in this -- but rather the intentional cause.

As far as 1000's of miles . . . that is about 15 minutes away as the ICBM flies. Do you understand why our top end wants (and believes it needs) to dominate and control all this?
do you understand that i want to change that and nothing you just said matters to me? do you think that i care if america is basically responsible for europe's weakness and ultimately this dependence on american protection leads to europe's demise?

i dont care about europe.

Old 07-31-2011, 02:56 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,869,886 times
Quote:
Well, see . . . there is a little more to this than is on the surface. Which is why I have been asking detailed questions of our good Captain.

The "Tea Party" cuff and collars to do not match. Some say one thing, some say another. The official unofficial Tea Party version around Dallas is War! And more of it! is a good thing. More money to the military. And defense contractors.

Overall the Tea Party speaks with many faces, many voices, and many forked-tongues. If you step back and look at it all, you can start to see that.

But individually, many like our Captain have been so mis-educated by listening to corporate sponsored moronathons like Rush Limbaugh, they do not even understand what they are supporting.

Our Captain is not a "Conservative" nor even a functional Republican -- he is a Libertarian -- wall-to-wall classic Libertarian -- but has no idea. Like most of the Tea Party, a kleenex to be used and discarded by the Republicans. It is pretty much a continuation of the PNAC program under a different banner and different name.

But overall, same game.

In practice, the Tea Party folks have no idea what-so-ever. Their only truly uniting feature is their intense dislike for anything Obama.

Lot of top end R and D folks are making some serious bank from this Endless War stuff.

It is just about corporate profit.

And these "splendid little wars," are truly great for that.
why don't you do a tea party poll? i seriously doubt that the tea party favors war spending, but i can only speak for myself (and some fellow floridian tea partiers).

i actually see the tea party as MORE united than the rest of the republican/democrat parties. democrats are being screwed over by obama and his tax cuts, endless and increasing wars, GITMO, patriot act, etc., while republicans are being screwed over by republican leaders spending like drunks, and then pretending that they really aren't for all that! come on, who do all these people think they are kidding?

the tea party looks at the BIG picture and only focuses on the spending and getting the spending under control-probably more libertarian-leaning than (either) party leaning members.

if this new bill is passed the way that i am hearing it might, it isn't going to be good for america at all-but both parties will have pretended to have sacrificed for the people. (haha)

the democrats are crazy because they think we can just keep spending and the republicans are crazy because they think we can keep spending without getting any additional revenue-so it looks like both parties win again-

more spending and no way to pay for any of it, with a decreasing working population base to boot and no illegal immigration control.

YIKES

Old 07-31-2011, 10:55 PM

in addition to supporting a bloated military and unnecessary wars, i want to point out something else i notice the conservative talking heads supporting on the radio. NASA. they seem all upset about cutting the NASA budget, ending the space shuttle and all the jobs that will be lost as a result. are they kidding me? thats government waste and those are government jobs. im quite happy to see NASA cut as well as probably half the size of our military.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:08 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,489,071 times
When ratings agencies judge the world - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/insight-ratings-agencies-judge-world-172752099.html - broken link)

Old 08-05-2011, 02:56 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,349,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
While I feel there needs to be a debt ceiling resolution to should the world we are committed to meeting obligations? And in the end probably will.

In answer to you about credit agencies and their use as a metric. My personal answer is NO. This is because these same rating agencies blew the mortgage market apart and this in turn has played a major role to our current financial state. These rating agencies should have NO credibility by any financial professional at all. Unfortunately so called experts still use these useless rating agencies. Probably because they feel they have no other options but to listen to these agencies opinion. And that's all it is opinion.

So in essence. What you call the metric that world uses has proven to be severely flawed and should not be taken seriously..........period.

What Happens If U.S. Bond Ratings Are Downgraded? : NPR

I believe in this article Mark Weisbrot is spot on. Though others may to decide to agree with the other two economist.
while it is the rating agencies' opinions, it is based on their research and interviews they conduct with countries' finance ministers, and data they evaluate. As far as finance professionals using their ratings...they do, but only to a point. Most fund companies have their own teams of valuators that have already come to the conclusion before the rating agencies get there. so really, the rating agencies are typically just confirming what people have already determined through more extensive research, or they might uncover something the funds missed (less likely since they do a much higher level review). with the mortgage crisis, the thing about that was the financial products were so complex, no one other than those that created them understood it. the ratings agencies were playing blind.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:16 PM

1,423 posts, read 2,538,422 times
Time to vote Ron Paul 2012. The Republicans don;t want Obama to succeed at any cost. Their record under Bush put us in this mess in the first place. Now, we are going to reap the outcome. Show them the finger come 2012 and vote Ron Paul.The funny things is S&P is the same agency that put weakened the economy in the first place, thru issuing AAA ratings for junk housing bonds. it was exposed on 60 minutes. Now, they have downgraded the USA after China did so. Makes me wonder if they work for the Chinese.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:29 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,149,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
in addition to supporting a bloated military and unnecessary wars, i want to point out something else i notice the conservative talking heads supporting on the radio. NASA. they seem all upset about cutting the NASA budget, ending the space shuttle and all the jobs that will be lost as a result. are they kidding me? thats government waste and those are government jobs. im quite happy to see NASA cut as well as probably half the size of our military.
I think the reason many conservatives support NASA is that they have a vague understanding of the importance access to space will be in the future (indeed would be now if we hadn't gone down the blind alley the space shuttle represented in the name of cost savings). Take a look at Germany and Russia over the last few hundred years to see how limited and weak an otherwise powerful country could be if it lacked ready access to the seas. If the folks with bad intentions gain any significant edge in space they will be able to lock everyone else on the surface of this planet for foreseeable future while having the resources of the rest of the universe at hand to exploit. Now this largely falls into the same category of someone pointing out that the world has been a much safer place since the West basically allowed the US to do all its power protection (although Europe couldn't dump so much money down social program black holes if its nations tried to field formidable militaries either which is Britain and to a lesser extent France are the only ones to even really try anymore) so I expect you to dismiss this out of hand.

Personally I have no problem axing most if not all of the pure science aspects of NASA and dedicating all its resources to furthering manned exploration and colonization of space. Leaving American access to space at the whim of the Russians is suicidal, and leaving American access to space dependent on the private sector is only marginally better. One might as well disband the US military and depend on mercenaries if the need for a war arose.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:20 PM

987 posts, read 1,306,542 times
Ron Paul is the antithesis of hardlin Republicans. It's unfortunate that he is lumped together with other Tea Party people like Palin and Bucannon.
He wants massive slashes to the military budget, closing nearly every single overseas military bases, letting Israel pay for it's own defence, and getting rid of the Federal Reserve which is why his effort to get to the White House will go nowhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics